*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732590-Fine--and---Dandy
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #1732590
A little girl's innocence changed her mother's vision of a beautiful yard.
                                  Fine  and  Dandy
                                Written  by;  lovingly  (  Rebecca S. Smith )
                                  12/13/2010                Monday

              It  was  time,  for  me to  win  for  a  change  (  I  enjoy  conning  myself.)
So,  with  a  hearty  grunt,  I  heaved  the  25-pound  bag  of  weed  killer  out  of  the  trunk  of  my  car.  I  believed  the  ads  (  don't  we  all,  when  we  want  to?)  that  within  weeks. I'd  be  free  of  those  pesky  stubborn  dandelions.  I'd  be  able  to  look  with  renewed  pride  at  a  lush  totally  green  lawn.
      No  matter  how  many  times  I  had  mowed  them  over  in  the  past,  giving  them  the  guillotine  treatment,  those  tenacious  dandelions  would  always  come  back...and  often  bring  their  cousins  along.
      Not  this  season,  I  told  myself.  The  gloves  were  coming  off  and  the  chemicals  were  going  on. This  time  I  would  be  the  victor  in  my  long  battle  with  that  infernal  weed.
      But  the  game  was  rigged, I  forgot  to  factor  in  the  human  element...the  one  inside  the  heart  and  brain  of  my  3  year  old  daugther, Victoria.
            A  Why  Baby...
She  was  in  what  I  call  it  the  WHY  stage.She'd  be  curious  about  something, anything  from  '' WHY''  are  you  peeling  potatoes?''  to  '' Why  are  you  shaving  your  legs?''
          The  questions  would  come  fast,  furious  and  relentlessly  from  all  angles, making  my  head  reel. What  she  did  with  all  the  answers,  I  don't  know.  She  was  going  to  be  either  a  rocket  scientist  or  a  CIA  agent.
          But  there  she  was  that  day,  standing  next  to  me  with  a  puzzled  look  on  her  tiny  face...the  brow  creased, head  tilted,  eyebrows  raised  and  lips  ready  to  part.
  ''  What's  that, Mom?''  ''  It's  just  stuff  for  the  lawn, honey.''  '' What  kind  of  stuff?''  ''  It  kills  weeds  and  makes  the  lawn  look  nicer.''  I  was  dead  in  the  water.  There  was  instant  realization  that  I  never  should  have  used  the  ''K '' word.
    '' Isn't  killing  bad,  Mom?''  You  told  me  it  was  bad.  What's  a  weed, anyway?''
She hit  me  with  both  barrels.
    The  first  question  I  avoided, praying  her  inquisitive  mind  would  let  it  go,  and  confidently  moved  on  to  question  two. ''  Well, weeds  are  plants  that  grow  in  places  you  don't  want  them  to,  like  having  uninvited  quest.''  That  got  me  a  blank  stare,  so,  I  started  again.
'' This  is lovingly  dedicated  to my  one  and  only  lovely  daughter, ''  VICTORIA.''
© Copyright 2010 lovingly (lovingly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1732590-Fine--and---Dandy