*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733018-A-Random-Act-of-Kindness
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1733018
Annabelle wonders if there is such a thing
“Never take gifts from strangers…”  Her mother’s cautionary words echoed in her mind, as Annabelle held the cashier’s check in her hand.

“One thousand dollars?”  Annabelle repeated the question.  “Why would a Mr. Langford give me one thousand dollars?”

“Maybe he’s a rich eccentric type who likes to give money to strangers.  Read the card again” Leslie pressed.

“Do something special for yourself this holiday.”  Annabelle scrutinized the check and wondered about its benefactor and his intentions.  She met wealthy people at the law firm, but the name and address didn’t ring a bell.   
     
“I know what you could do with the money!”  Leslie’s eyes lit up like the lights on Annabelle’s small Christmas tree.

Annabelle gave her a quizzical look.  She knew her friend and wouldn’t be surprised if Leslie’s suggestion bordered on the eccentric as well. 

“Come skiing with George and me.” 

Annabelle was slightly jealous when Leslie had announced she and boyfriend would be going to the Stowe Mountain Resort for the Christmas holiday. 

Besides being single, Annabelle was also cash poor.  Her student loan payments, for the law degree she never finished, had kicked in.  She knew this financial predicament would not even be an issue if she had just stuck things out.  There were times when she couldn’t even remember why she had dropped out of law school. 

“Hey Annabelle,” Leslie exclaimed.  “What if this gift is like that movie, you know the one with Cameron Diaz.  What was it called again?”

“The Box.”  Annabelle responded.

“That’s the one,” Leslie nodded.  “That would be crazy, huh?”

Annabelle shuddered at the thought of some mysterious man with half a face showing up at her apartment telling her someone died because she had spent the money.

“Just cash the check and come with us.  I’m sure you could meet some nice guys there.”

Annabelle smiled at the thought.

“It’s settled then,” Leslie declared.  “Tomorrow you shop for a pair of skis.” 
                   
----------


The next morning Annabelle stopped by Benny’s Coffee Shop on her way to work. 

“You look happy today,” Benny smiled.

“Is it that obvious?”  Annabelle asked,  “Well, I came into some money and decided to treat myself for the holiday season.”

“Good for you,” Benny applauded.  “A nice girl like you should enjoy herself.”

Shortly after Annabelle started working at the firm, she frequented the coffee shop and was quite taken by Benny’s affable nature.  He reminded her of her father and one too many times she was late for work after chatting with him.

With some time to spare before work, Annabelle decided to go to the bank and cash the check.  She could use her lunch hour to finish off some work and then go shopping in the evening.                                             
                                 
----------


Later that morning, Annabelle sat at her desk thinking.  She knew Leslie would stop by at any moment. 
                                                   
Like clockwork, Leslie sauntered in shortly before lunch.

Annabelle stood up, wringing her hands.

Leslie, quick as always, knew something was the matter.

“Is everything okay?”

“It’s about the trip …” Annabelle started to explain.

“Don’t worry,” Leslie reassured her.  “George is excited you’re coming with us.”

“It’s not that,” she hesitated.  “I gave the money away.”

“You what?!”  Leslie shrieked.

“What if this guy is really some weirdo?”

“Come on,” Leslie chided.  “Do you really think some crazy man is going to give you money for a life?  It’s only a thousand dollars.  Don’t you think someone’s life is worth more than that?”

“Lower you voice,” Annabelle pleaded.  “I cashed the check, and then I started thinking.  This stranger knows my name and where I live.  I couldn’t very well return the money, so I dropped it in the Christmas donation pail in the lobby.”

“You know what you problem is, Annabelle?  You never grab opportunity.  You were the same with law school, getting practically straight A’s, and then dropping out for no reason.”  Leslie stormed out of the office, leaving the sting of her words behind.

----------


After work, Annabelle roamed the cold streets, Leslie’s words still hanging over her head.  Not realizing it, she found herself outside of the coffee shop.  Before she was able to turn around, Benny spotted her and motioned for her to come in.

“I thought you were going away for the holidays?”  Benny asked with concern in his voice.     
     
Annabelle wavered, but soon recounted the story of the mysterious gift and her argument with Leslie.

“I understand your hesitations and your mother’s words of caution.”  Benny’s words came as a comfort.  What he said next confused Annabelle.  “Do you see me as a stranger?”

“Of course not, but I don’t see …”   
                                                   
“What if I told you my name was Bernard Langford?”  Knowing this revelation would unsettle her, Benny quickly added, “and I’m not a weirdo.  I overheard you and Leslie talking about how money was a little tight for you.”

“Why me?”  Annabelle asked, still reeling.

“You don’t know this, but fifteen years ago I lost my wife and daughter in a car accident.  I closed the restaurant my wife and I ran together and didn’t leave my house for over a year.  A friend gave me a much needed kick in the rear and I decided to open this coffee shop.”

“But I still don’t understand why?”  Annabelle beseeched him.

“People come here every day, buy their coffee and leave.  You are the only one who has ever taken the time to talk to an old man like me.” 

“And I gave your money away!”  Annabelle cried.

Benny got up and returned with a napkin and an envelope.

“Dry those tears and buy yourself some skis.”

Annabelle started to talk, but he hushed her.

“I don’t want to hear it.  Call up Leslie and make sure she doesn’t leave without you.”

“How…how can I ever repay you?”

“When you get back you can repay me by getting that law degree.”

Annabelle hugged Benny and rushed to the store.  She was going skiing and maybe more.


Word count: 1000

© Copyright 2010 anastasia beyverhausen (moisie75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733018-A-Random-Act-of-Kindness