*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733070-Fate
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Likan
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1733070
Story of a Young Man who does not know what lies ahead in his fate!!
The Weather was gloomy. Dark clouds were spreading across the horizon to form a dragon’s nest, ready to spit the fiery rain anytime. The sun was hiding behind the dark clouds to allow the black to rein. The wind was knocking every door ajar to show its vigor. The window curtains were dancing to welcome the surmounting darkness.
It was 5.30 in the evening. Nikhil suddenly woke up from his bed. To his dismay, the weather was cloudy and soothing enough to force him to go back to bed. With a jerk, Nikhil threw his shawl and rushed to his bath to freshen up. His owl-like eyes were cooled down by the sudden splash of water. After turning down the water, as he was going to his cupboard to fetch his trousers, a sudden knock on his door startled him.
“Maa!” He said casually, after realizing who it was.
“I think you are late for your classes today and your papa is not home yet.” Her mother informed.
“Oh! Papa is not home yet! Don’t worry, he will be soon.” Nikhil replied allying her mother’s concerns.
“It’s cloudy and dark out there today. It might rain.” Her mother said, trying to be casual.
“Aah… I don’t think so.” Nikhil replied doing his shirt buttons.
“I don’t think they will allow you into class, or by the time you reach, the class will be over.” His mother said without looking into his eyes.
“What’s the matter with you, Maa?” Nikhil enquired with a complaining voice.
“Nothing, it’s already late. No point going there.” She said, looking out of the window, trying to hide her concerns.
In this modern scientific world, how can she say to her only teenage science studying son that her right eye was twitching all day long signaling that something bad might happen and for which she had already called his father and asked about his well being.
“Maa, my exams are approaching and today we have some important subjects to cover.” He complained.
“I can’t wait a single minute further. I might be there 10 minutes late, but I won’t miss the class if I start now.” Nikhil blurted out and picked up his cycle keys and bag from the nearby table, slamming the door behind making his mother look at the door in silence.
The sky was filled with the dark armours of the Rain God, ready to vanquish. Blinding lightening was flashing out in distance which can set a hundred villages ablaze at once. Deafening sounds of the thunders were making the presence of the Rain-God obvious. The heart-less wind was forcibly sweeping away the desperately trying leaves to hold on to the ground.
Nikhil opened the main door of his house and looked at the outside scenery for a while. A chilled air filled up the drawing room with some old dry leaves that had no intention to drift. Standing on the steps, he glanced at his bi-cycle which was shivering against the railings of the gate with every mighty blow of the icy wind. 
Assuming strength, Nikhil stepped down through the stairs and gripped the cold handle of his bi-cycle.
“You can’t go back. Just ride it, everything is fine.” He murmured to himself for courage.
Big drops of water started to pour down from no-where. The thirsty soil welcomed it. The grass looked greener with every new drop. Lines of smooth flowing water started to make their own way to the adjacent openings of the street drains.
The faint smell of the soil filled the nostrils of Nikhil. He glanced at the nearby greens just beside his cycle track. Though his heart was telling him to stop and spend some time with the beautiful nature around, his mind was directing him to make it to the class. Taking his eyes back to the road, Nikhil rolled his pedals to a full turn forcing his wheels to revolve around the muddy path at full force to the main road.
A sudden darkness covered the sky. The rain grew stronger. The oval drops were pelting against the ground at an archer’s speed, creating a foggy mist just above the black serpentine road. The street lights were dimmed by the heavy downpour. The unruly wind was making it almost impossible for a passerby to look for a shelter.
Heavy drops from sky were crash landing against Nikhil’s drenched face. Streams of water were flowing down from his head-cover of the rain coat making his vision blurry. In spite of all these odds, Nikhil was determined to reach his destination. Faint thoughts of the class were coming to his mind- the seating arrangements of the students, position of the teacher’s desk from the first row, the white board and the posters behind, the cob-webbed corners of the walls, the cracks on the ceiling, the wooden door, the stairs, the road. Suddenly, his thoughts moved back to the place where he was riding his cycle and struggling against the mighty blow of the demonic rain. He derived a certain satisfaction knowing that he was nearing his destination. He’d reach his class after crossing the blind turn ahead. Filled with the excitement of reaching his class as well as meeting Priya- his other motivation to be regular in class, he kicked his pedals hard to gain some more momentum. He kept his head down and gripped his handles tightly so that he can take advantage of his seating position to maintain his speed.
At the turn, the relentless down pour along with the heartless wind were creating a misty screen making the darkness darker. Wading through the uncanny blur, two streams of bright light came with the screeching of heavy tyres towards the turn.
The bell of the cycle was rolling freely towards the stream of water on the road. The front wheel of the cycle was twisted just like a torn rubber band. The spokes were astray. The seat was settled amongst the steady flow of red matter assimilating itself with the colorless water. There lied a body, the body that once aspired to keep promises, determined to take responsibilities, was built to support dreams of a tender heart, now struggling to be free from all these bondages of the mundane and embrace the Divine.

Likan
© Copyright 2010 Likan (likan_qul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733070-Fate