*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733084-Sapphire-Roses
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1733084
Read this, please. I hope you all like it.
Preface

The laws of the street are simple: fight and stay alive. Honor is important and betrayal can devastate you. I’ve lived in a gang for two years now and they’ve yet to learn my secret.

No female is allowed the position of leadership or even a part of the gang. That’s the code for all vampire gangs. My secret, you ask?

I’m female.


Chapter 1

Crowded rooms with mangled cots and smelly carpets reeking with beer were our havens lately. There were no lights in the ceilings and the windows were boarded up with planks of thick wood.

Many of my gang members were passed out on shredded cots. ‘Many’ being over half of the members. This was normal.

Each member—five including me—was male and a vampire. Gangs were prominent. If a female was found in your group, you were deemed weak.

The gang members ranged from two hundred to eight hundred years old. The eldest was a male named Trey Alistair.

Trey was seven hundred and ninety years old with lynx brown eyes and a mass of deep, brown hair. He still looked nineteen but his eyes told of his ageless wisdom.

Next was Croan Merise. He was younger—six hundred and thirty—with short, silvery blonde hair and clear green eyes. Those traits were common among a vampire.

After Croan were the twins Aaron and Jamie Koru. Both were four hundred and two years old with endless blue eyes and dark brownish-red hair.

The fifth was me—Sapphire Rose. Well, that was my actual name. The men knew me as Silver Airedale. In our world, a female was a sign of weakness. They tore you down.

I joined the pack-life on my seven hundred and ninety-third name day. A name day was, simply, a birthday. It was usually when you were able to issue challenges.

Now, going into the vampire subject is always something humans stupidly assume to be like Dracula. It is completely false.

Vampires originated in China with the dragons. Weres and Shapeshifters were created in the northern reaches of Antarctica. As crazy as it sounds, the first Shapeshifters were penguins. Some radioactive sludge and a few birds can really change something.

The vampire world is completely different. We don’t need blood to survive—we don’t need anything—but many vampires kill and drink for the fun of it.

Another thing is regarding the sun and the smell. We can go out into the sunlight but the sun at its highest hurts our eyes. Our noses are very sensitive so many foods drive us away but many of us eat regular food. Others don’t eat at all.

“Silver,” Croan said rolling over. “You up?”

“Been for an hour or so,” I replied looking at Croan. His blonde hair was tossed over his eyes. “You feel alright?”

He supplied me with a moan before turning over.

“I’m going out,” I said standing. That made him turn and look up at me. “What? Is that against the law?”

He turned back over and sighed, muttering something unintelligent as I left.


Xenia, Ohio. This is anti-vampire central. The Fiera Collation is here. The Collation is a sort of Fraternity and a Sorority—depending on location—that kill vampires. They’re just a bunch of irritably gifted humans who believe in stupid things.

“Silver Airedale I presume?” someone said from behind me. I had sensed the man several hundred yards ago. “Could you have the decency to at least reply?”

I turned and faced the man, sizing him up. He was tall—taller than my five foot eleven inches—with mahogany brown hair the polar opposite of my silver. His eyes were two pools of sapphire liquid darker than my own.

“And if I am?” I supplied after a moment. I stood in my normal attire—skinny jeans which were surprisingly flexible and a billowing t-shirt. “Are you a hunter?”

“My name is Cyrus Boreas,” the man said slowly, his eyes trained on me. “And, yes, I am a hunter. I’m searching for Croan Merise.”

I stood rigid as the hunter stalked towards me, each step fluid and undeniably lethal. He’d been at this for some time.

“I don’t know Croan,” I said slowly as we circled each other. “I know of him.”

“Such a shame,” he said shrugging. “But I guess you’ll have to do. You look young.”

“Not really,” I said smiling. “I’m over seven hundred. May I ask why you hunt? Thrill? Or revenge?”

The hunter glared at me before sighing. His eyes sized me up in one, quick motion.

“Revenge,” he said finally. “Croan was the vampire who murdered my family in 1896.”

“So you’re not human?” I asked, confused. “But you smell…?”

The hunter chose that time to attack. I thought while I dodged his attacks. He smelled and looked human. But he wasn’t human. The duck thing didn’t seem to work in this situation.

I fought back in one turn, striking his chest. Out of his ten thrown blows two hit. Out of my seven hits, four made it through. My hits hit in intervals: two to his abdomen, one to his face, and one to his chest.

Any one of my hits would have killed any regular hunter.

“Goodbye,” I said stopping and holding his arm past my thigh. “I have become bored with this. See you again.”

“You’re Sanction!” the hunter said angrily. “This is your territory! You’re going to let a hunter go on your land?!”

I glared at him and nodded.

“Why?!”

“It’s a trial,” I said ripping the stake from his hand and throwing it several leagues away. “If they can’t survive a hunter, then they’re not worth protecting.”

The hunter watched me as I walked off. He wouldn’t attack anyone. He was too respectful.

At least, at this night, we could rest peacefully.


“What happened to you?” Aaron said as I walked into our basement home. “You look like—”

“Hunter,” I replied tossing my ruined shirt on the couch. I had changed before coming here but the blood was still noticeable against my pale complexion. “He’s gone though.”

“What’d he want?”

“Croan,” I said throwing an arm over the couch. “He told me his name was Cyrus Boreas and Croan killed his family in 1896.”

“Not surprising,” Jamie said walking into the room. He was towel drying his spiky wet hair. “Croan’s made a lot of enemies.”

“You need to be careful,” Trey said looking up at me. “Did you dispose of the hunter?”

I shook my head.

“I got rid of his stake though,” I said as Croan walked into the room. “You have some explaining to do.”

“Says who?” Croan said pulling a white cotton shirt over himself. Something we rarely wore was white shirts. Blood stained them badly. “And why?”

“Your Sanction,” I hissed. “Because I just had a run-in with a hunter claiming you killed his family in 1896.”

Croan looked at me and shrugged.

“I killed a lot of people then,” he said simply. “That was when she died.”

Croan had been engaged in the 1890’s and lost her to the Fiera Collation before he met me.

I had been Sanction for three weeks and relinquished my position to him. I left for several hundred years to live as a female. Humans had entertained me for some time.

Two years ago I came back to find Trey as Sanction and reacquired my position. For two years I’ve fooled them into thinking I was male. It’s amazing how dense people can be.

But, each of my brethren had trusted me to protect them and I have. I’ve killed for them and I’ve done well at my job. I was proud of who I was and still am.

“Should we worry about the hunter?” Jamie said looking up at me. “I mean, he’s running free on our turf…shouldn’t we do something?”

I shook my head.

“This hunter has too much respect to hunt on our lands tonight,” I said approvingly. “I mean, he knows what’ll happen if he tries.”

“And that is why you’re Sanction,” Croan said happily. “To put the Collation in their place, that is."

I sent a glare at him. The sun was almost up and we’d need to attain more information on the Chi Clan that was making its way to our territory.

“Any word on the Chi’s,” I asked sliding my dagger into its place. “I heard they were a day’s journey from here.”

Trey answered.

“No one’s sure,” he said slowly. “There’s been no word. It’s as if they became the Den Clan.”

The room grew silent.

The Den Clan was a Clan that had been murdered by the Fiera Collation. One day they were there, the next, not. No one was for sure what happened.

Everyone was told it was a fight with another Clan but no one could explain how mutilated their corpses were. All vampires had enough respect to not strip them of what they had.

The bodies were done by the handiwork of one of the Wanderers in the Collation. Wanderers were people who had the ability to render a vampire powerless. Meeting one never showed good luck.

“No,” I said after a moment. “There was word yesterday. Wait until something’s found.”

The day continued as normal. There was still no word from the other Clans and gangs about the Chi’s but that didn’t damper our moods.

When we separated I made my way home. To my actual home, that is.

My life is split. My nights and mornings are with my gang. From noon to six, I live my regular life.

“Jane,” I called walking into the house. “I’m back!”

Jane was my human aunt. She was a descendant of my actual aunt and I had stayed with my family for years.

Jane knew what I was and she loved me as if I were human.

“Hey,” she said popping toast into her toaster. “Morning.”

I nodded.

Jane wore a simple cotton shirt and jeans. Her curly red hair was pulled up into a ponytail using a handkerchief. Her eyes were a gorgeous sapphire blue that ran in my family.

“There’s a new set of clothes for you,” she said smearing her toast with butter. “You’ll love them, I’m sure.”

I nodded. I always loved the close she bought me. She knew my style and pushed it to the max.

The house was an old, Victorian two-story painted a dark green. It was originally where most witches were found during the Trials.

My room was down the upstairs hallway, the third from the right. Its door was a dark oak build.

Nothing was in my room save a dresser and a desk. I never spent the night here and when I would come I would come for visits, clothing, or vampire things. That was what the desk was for.

I noticed the outfit immediately.

The bag it was in was a Hot Topic bag that looked as if it was going to fall over. Beside it was a Gothic Fantasy shoe box and another of the same bag.

Converse, a tank, and denims were my guesses for the clothing. And the Gothic Fantasy bag held sketchbooks. It was a personal hobby of mine.

All my guesses but one was incorrect. I had guessed the sketch book but the outfit was completely off.

She had bought me a pair of thigh-high, black, leather boots that were at least six inches.

The outfit itself was a tight, black and red dress that had no shoulders but went across and billowed down into huge sleeves.

There were large, black hoop earrings and red and black bracelets for accessories. Hair-wise was a small, clip-on, blood red ribbon.

The ribbon small itself but its unused material flowed down to my neck.

If her plan was to set off my hair, she’d succeeded. But, fortunately, I wasn’t going to wear my actual hair coloring or style.

I had three main styles I preferred to use.

The first was my gang style: short, spiky, silver hair that edged my shoulders.

The second was my actual style: long, silvery fine hair that flowed and stopped at my thighs.

The final was my out and about style: Short, spiky brown hair that was about the same length as my gang style yet not exactly the same.

It should be about time to state something: vampire’s can change our looks. I do it to stay safe as does most of my kind.

With Jane yelling at me to hurry up and change I slipped into the outfit, changed my hairstyle, and walked down the stairs.

“Oh Sapphire,” she whispered as I descended the stairs. “You look gorgeous.”

“Mind telling me where you’re kidnapping me to?” I teased. “Before I throw myself out a window.”

She just laughed and said, “You’ll see.”

We left the house four hours later in our get up. Jane had still refused to tell me where we were going so I waited, irritably, in silence.


“Is this it?” I answered staring at the gas station we were at. “Really?”

She laughed subtly and motioned for me to follow her inside.

Something about this place stirred my memory but I couldn’t quite place it.

We walked down aisle after endless aisle before stopping at a door.

Jane knocked and a slot opened.

“Who requests?” a male voice asked from the other side of the door.

“One who has tasted of the blood and is unworthy,” she answered.

“Entrance granted.”

The door closed after Jane and I watched in puzzlement. What was she doing in a vampire club?

I knocked quietly on the door and the slot opened.

“Who requests?” the voice repeated.

I tilted my chin and looked into the man’s eyes.

“One who has tasted of the blood and is unworthy,” I answered strongly. “One that has taken blood also.”

The man’s eyes widened and he jerked open the door, bowing once it fully opened. I tried not to act surprised.

“Thou is unworthy,” the man said, “Mistress of Airedale.”

I tilted my chin an edge higher and told him to rise before advancing. It had been some time since I had entered this club. At least they still knew me.

I shifted my hair to its natural style as I walked through the darkness. I didn’t want anyone to know or notice me.

“What took you so long?” Jane hissed as I brushed off several cobwebs.

“Oh, he bowed,” I said simply. “I’m dating myself.”

Jane didn’t question further.

The club had several black lights the moment you entered. It was like a gothic runway.

As you advanced, they had flashing lights everywhere and there were several stands with food and drinks.

Humans and vampires were mingled everywhere. From the corner of my eyes I saw a vampire slipping something into his partners drink and couldn’t help but laugh.

It seemed he was hoping for something tonight. And, by the dose, it seemed she was strong.

Bands like Linkin Park and Paramore blared from the speakers as Jane and I danced together. I had forgotten how much fun I had while clubbing.

“I’m going to get a drink,” I yelled to Jane as I walked away.

She didn’t notice due to her dancing with a really good looking warlock.

I poured myself a cup of Pepsi and popped a Potato Crisp into my mouth before going to sit in one of the back, empty booths to survey the crowd.

No one that bad was here. A few Shapeshifters and vampires, a witch or two, and a room full of humans…nothing that bad.

“Mind if I sit here?” someone said from above me.
I was stretched out like a cat. My legs were reaching into the seat across from mine, my torso was slouched, and my hands were folded over my stomach.

“Go ahead,” I said, annoyingly, sitting up. “Won’t hurt anything.”

The man sat.

“Nice to meet you,” he said extending a hand. “My name is Cyrus Boreas.”

I hesitantly took his hand. Could he see through my disguise?

“Sapphire Rose,” I answered softly. If I were to get out of here he’d have to go away seduced. “Nice to meet you.”

He brought my hand to his lips and gently kissed it before giving it back to me.

“So what are you doing here?” I asked him curiously. I toyed with a string on his jacket as I spoke. “Business? Pleasure?”

“Pleasure,” he answered after a moment. He seemed to choose the latter. “You?”

“Same,” I answered. “So what has your day been like? I know I had trouble with several vampires today. Tracking them, I mean.”

I was hoping to pose as a hunter but he didn’t seem to believe me.

“I had a run in with the Sanction,” he answered after a moment.

“And you’re alive?” I asked raising an eyebrow in disbelief. “You’re joking, right?”

He shook his head.

“How’d you do it?” I answered, shocked—fake-ly—as my eyes grew wide. “I ran into him and nearly had my head ripped of my shoulders!”

He shrugged.

“It seems the guy has a kind heart,” he said simply. “Let me go when he had me. Just threw away my stake.”

I nodded.

“I think it might’ve been out of respect,” I replied slowly. “I’ve heard he respects people who have great fighting potential.”

Cyrus nodded in reply.

“It’s getting late,” I said standing. “I need to get my cousin home before she gets too drunk.”

I had kept my peripherals on Jane and noticed she’d taken several trips to the bar. Several trips too many. She looked like she was going to vomit everywhere.

“The redhead?” he asked pointing to her. “You do need to get her. Need help?”

Before I could answer he was standing and helping me to my feet. Was it me or was he a bit…I couldn’t find a good word to describe Cyrus.

I nodded in thanks as he led me towards my aunt. His hand held mine gently yet possessively as we closed in on Jane and her warlock friend.

Crazily, the song Bad Romance blasted through the club and Cyrus stopped slowly. His gaze went briefly to my aunt and then to me.

“I think she’ll be okay with Chris,” he said after a moment. “May I have this dance?”

In my seven hundred years never once had a man asked me to dance; it was odd. Either they were afraid of my cool demeanor or believed I was an evil witch.

“Yes,” I said hesitantly.

He took my hand and drew me near him, the music pulsing through us.

We moved as one. One body, one mind, one soul. It wasn’t long before our show drew a crowd.

The song ended and people clapped. The cycle on which the songs were played had been stopped and all lights were on us.

People all around us cheered and I took it in, bewildered.


I wasn’t used to so much attention from so many humans. Well, not since the witch trials anyway.

Cyrus led me out of the club and away from all the cheery humans. The night air felt amazing on my skin and I closed my eyes in bliss.

The club had been hot and sweaty and stuffy. My nose burned with the sweat of the humans, the stench of the alcohols, and the raunchy food they served.

The night was different. I could hear the sound of the hunter’s heart. I could smell the sweet cologne he wore that blended in almost perfectly with the night’s breeze.

I could almost taste his delicious blood on my tongue.

That one thought was enough to stop me in my tracks. What was I doing? I was a vampire—head of one of the best clans in the world.

What on Earth was I doing with a hunter?!

“I had fun tonight,” I said after a moment. He had led us to a bench hidden under a Weeping Willow’s branches. “But I think I forgot something.”

I let out a nervous laugh. He let out one of his own, though, not nervous in the least. But I had reason.

“As did I,” he answered. His laughter died after a moment. “I hope we can do this again.”

I nodded and he took my hand in his briefly. It reminded me of the time I was heir to a throne.

He seemed to…worship me.

“I really enjoyed this evening,” he whispered brushing his lips across my palm. “Would you like a ride home?”

No. This was wrong. I was the vampire. I was the seducer and he was supposed to be the seducee. I needed to turn things around. Now.

“Sure,” I said smiling, leaning into him. “But I’m afraid my aunt will have a few issues making it home.”

His face showed no hint of how surprised he was at my sudden move but his eyes told all.

I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his neck as he laced his hands on my hips.

“I would enjoy spending more time with you,” I sighed. “But this will have to do.”

He looked at me, questioning me, as I looked him strait in the eyes.

“Kiss me,” I whispered hypnotically.

I could see the vein in his throat and it practically slapped me in the face after each heartbeat. His blood was just in my reach.

The hunter tilted my chin and looked into my eyes. His hands were gentle, rough, and possessive all at the same time as he pulled me towards him.

One arm was around my waist holding me to him as his hand cupped my cheek.

Slowly, oh so very slowly, he pressed his lips to my own.

He tasted amazing, like nothing I had never tasted before. He tasted of…life.

And that tasted amazing.

I pulled back after a moment and gripped his neck with one hand. My lips made a soft trail of kisses from his own to his jaw.

That vein throbbed just beneath the surface of thin skin and I wanted it so badly.

If he tasted so amazing on the surface, how would he taste on the inside?

That was the question I was more than willing to answer.

His hand rubbed my spine sending shivers through me when his hand made contact with my bare skin.

Almost, my predatory instincts said quickly. So close. So very close!

My teeth nipped at his skin before my fangs lengthened to deadly points and pierced his soft flesh.

Cyrus moaned and held me tighter against him. His sweet life’s blood flowed in torrents into my mouth and my body locked up and I did some thing I had never done before.

I screamed.


Chapter 2

The pain seared my throat as I jerked back and coughed his blood out of my mouth. It was like acid and it burned just the same.

“Sapphire?” he whispered looking at me. “Are you…?”

I kept my back turned to him. Surely, by now he must know. So…why was he not trying to kill me? I was defenseless and weak. A perfect target.

His hand brushed his neck, and the tension grew.

“You’re a…”

I could hear the disbelief in his voice as I struggled to breathe.

My eyes narrowed before I spoke.

“You haven’t figured that out yet?” I asked through bleeding lips. “Or before this?”

He glared at me as I looked at him.

“So much for you being a hunter,” I blurted out.

Everything suddenly froze and I knew I had just said something that gave away everything. I shouldn’t know unless he had hunted me. Which he hadn’t.

Well…not Sapphire anyway. Silver was a completely different story.

“Silver,” he whispered in disbelief. “You’re the Sanction Airedale.”

I smiled ruefully.

“Yes,” I said slowly. “Part-time anyway. I’m actually a female. Men are idiots. You’re not a very good hunter if I have to tell you everything.”

I saw the muscles in his arms twitch and that was the only hint I had before he struck.

His arm came down and I sidestepped his attack. He came again and I allowed him to hit me. I was just so tired of the fighting. I wanted it to end.

“Fight,” was his only answer.

I simply let my head droop. I wanted to die. I wanted to atone for the sins I had committed. Would I finally get my wish?

“Kill me,” I whispered, my head bowed. “I’ve lived too long. I’ve taken too many lives.

“I deserve to die.”

The hunter’s arms dropped and I looked up. The fool was too honorable for his own good.

“You’ve bested me,” he whispered. “I could never do what you’re doing.”

I stared up at the hunter.

“You could kill me,” I whispered, bewildered. “You could kill the Sanction. That would leave all vampires powerless.

“Why won’t you kill me? You may never get the chance again.”

“It’s a waste to kill something so strong.” His lips lifted into a slight smile. “And so beautiful.”

I felt myself blush and I turned my back to him.

“What are you talking about?” I said as I tried to calm my blush. “All vampires are strong and beautiful.”

Those two words seemed to attack my heart and I blinked away tears. No one would love me for me.

Then, Cyrus said the one thing I never believed I would ever hear.

“Not the outer beauty,” he said slowly. “I was talking about your inner.”

I heard him walk away and I dared a glance after him. But he had already disappeared.

“Hey!” my aunt said stumbling out of the club. “You need ta make sure ya are…”

She trailed off and looked up at the stars. Something of a laugh came from her throat and she sat down and stared at the sky.

“Let’s go Jane,” I sighed as I lifted her and took her to the car. “We need to leave.”


“Saph?” my aunt groaned as she walked into my room. “You feel alright?”

I nodded.

“Sapphire,” she said holding my hand. “What happened last night?”

“It’s not important,” I said standing. “I have to get back to the others.”

My aunt nodded at me but gave me a sympathetic look. I knew she was feeling what she always felt when I would leave.

“Be careful,” she whispered. “And I love you, Sapphire.”

I smiled and hugged my aunt. “Always.”

The others, once I had left my aunt’s home, were gathered at the lake playing with a small human female. I had to feel sorry for her because they weren’t exactly…nice.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I said coolly from behind the twins.

They flew away from me, dropping the girl. She had passed out.

“Don’t bother,” Trey said throwing a glare at the twins. “I’ve already tried to reel them in. I think they’re feeling particularly thirsty tonight.”

I glanced at the twins and then around the docks. There was one missing.

“Hey Trey,” I said doing another scan. “Where’s Croan?”

“Gone,” he said sighing as Aaron lifted up a tree. “He left for the woods a few hours ago.”

I nodded.

“Careful you two,” I yelled as Jamie and Aaron began a tree fight.

I was very thankful that no humans came out here anymore. Other than the girl apparently.

“What are we supposed to do with her?” Trey said pointing to the sleeping female. “We can’t just leave her.”

That was one thing I liked about Trey he never treated humans as only food. He actually had compassion.

Very much unlike Croan.

“We’ll have to wipe her memory,” I sighed. “And try to place her where rogue vampires won’t find her.

“We could take her to that Were club.”

“Full Moon?” he said wrinkling his nose. “I don’t care for that place. It reeks.”

“Trey,” I said raising an eyebrow. “It’s the only safe place. Did either of them feed from her?”

He shook his head.


“You came before they had a chance. We’ve only had her for fifteen or so minutes. The twins are playful tonight.”

I nodded.

“I may need to talk to Gabriella,” I said watching the twins. “She’ll be able to take over pretty well.”

“The rabbit?” he questioned.

I nodded.

Though she was a rabbit, she acted like a bear. Her tiny figure didn’t at all show her years of gymnastics and karate lessons.

We had bonded rather quickly and I found that I preferred her to be my ally more so than my foe.

“You get the cat kids,” I sighed picking up the girl. “I got her. Meet me at Full Moon.” I paused. “With the twins.”


“So can you help us out?” I asked Gabriella. “I hate to do this to you but the boys are…”

“Playful?” she supplied. “It’s no problem. I already looked up her address and her family. All they know is that she’s sick.

“Here’s her apartment complex, number, and cell. This should be an easy situation for you Silv.”

I nodded.

“Her name’s Kayleene Mathews?” I questioned. “Isn’t she going to marry Curron, Croan’s brother?”

Gabriella nodded.

“She’s a parapsychologist,” she explained. “And she met Curron at the club here. We don’t usually invite outsiders but Curron’s helped us many times.

“She had researched areas with mysterious stories in hopes of finding one of us. That was when she wandered into our little club.

“When Croan entered the room…” Gabriella broke off and bit her lower lip to hide a laugh. “Let’s just say she walked over to him and said ‘Are you a vampire?’ before sitting back down.

“Curron eventually let himself open up to her. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

I sighed. That was Curron. If someone figured it out, he spilled everything. I would have to deal with him later.

“Thanks Gabby,” I sighed. “Any ideas as to where Curron might be? I don’t think he’s going to be very happy with the twins.”

Gabriella let out a laugh.

“He visits her apartment every night at eight. You’ve got an hour to get her back.”

“Thanks again,” I whispered as I lifted the girl into my arms. “For everything…I’m glad I can count on someone.”

She gave me a wistful smile and I turned to walk out of the room.


Chapter 3

The apartment the girl rented wasn’t a very classy one but more of a quiet, out-of-the-way complex. There were few buildings around.

“She lives in apartment number 29,” I state as we stepped into an old elevator. “We still have an hour before Curron arrives. Let’s get in and get out.”

I knew I was wrong the moment I stepped through the threshold of her apartment.

His power was masked but there was no way to hide his scent. Especially when I was as old as I was and how keen my sense of smell was.

“Get out,” I said, never allowing my eyes to leave the room. “Give me the girl and get out.”

“Silv—”

“OUT!!!” I hissed.

And they were gone.

“Show yourself vampire,” I said when I could no longer sense their presences.

“Silver,” Curron said stepping from the shadows. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“You’ve met me before.”

We stood in silence for a moment. I was the one to break it.

“Your woman,” I said holding Kayleene out to him. His eyes were blazing. “The twins didn’t feed on her.”

Some of the fire in his eyes dissipated but he was still sending out vibes filled with rage.

“They had no right.”

“I plan to punish them.”

“No,” he said, taking a step towards me. “It wasn’t their fault.”

I looked at him, a bit confused though I knew my face was impassive.

“It is yours. Due to your slip up I could have lost her. I want revenge.”

His voice was calm and I felt sick. When Curron took his revenge someone ended up either dead or…worse.

I took a casual step back and leaned against the doorpost in an attempt to distance myself from the immediate threat.

Two vampires blocked my exit.

“You’re going to try to attack the Sanction?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“No,” he said with a shrug. “I’ll feed from you and then let him kill you.”

My heart lurched when I saw him step out of the shadows.

Cyrus Boreas.

His face showed no surprise but there was something in his eyes that showed either shock or denial.

Cyrus was the one who would kill me.

“I believe the two of you have met?”

“Once,” I said through gritted teeth. “I let him go. I didn’t think he’d be able to hurt any one.”

“You let a hunter have his way around your territory?” he said raising an eyebrow. “That is so unlike you Airedale.”

“Well, I guess we all have secrets.”

Cyrus’s eyes hardened and he looked away from me. He looked like he would crumble in one touch.

“Silver…”

Curron was behind me. I leapt away from him and managed to land a hit onto his skull. He raked his nails across my chest.

Then, Cyrus attacked me. I didn’t expect him to. I thought he’d just ignore me if I let him be. My own stupidity.

He tightened his hold on me and I was immobile. The next thing I knew Curron’s fangs were buried into my neck.

Those were the first fangs that pierced my skin since my rebirth.


The world was swirling and I was struggling to hold onto my male form. If everything would stop spinning maybe I could get a hold on what had happened.

My vision was blurred and I couldn’t concentrate. What had happened? Where was I?

Suddenly, everything hit me.

I had been bitten. I was going to die.

I felt myself resurface and I realized I was lying on my back. No, someone was holding me. People were talking. It was so quiet.

“He’s a female?!” I heard someone hiss. “But…how?! The Sanction is only allowed to be male!”

“She was very clever. I’m surprise it lasted this long. Silver is a clever one, she is.”

“Silver’s not her name,” Cyrus interrupted. “Her name’s not Silver Airedale. Silver Airedale doesn’t exist. Her name is Sapphire Rose.”

Everything fell silent. What was Cyrus doing?

“Sapphire Rose…the vampire…no, the woman meant to become my wife.”

He leaned down and kissed me and I died.

To Be Continued…

And Coming Soon:
Sapphire Fires
© Copyright 2010 Katherynn (katherynn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733084-Sapphire-Roses