*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733383-Marked
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Ghost · #1733383
A newlywed couple move into their first home but are haunted by its dark past.
It was just perfect. 
The red-brick double-storey house seemed to overwhelm the beauty of the surrounding mountains and thick plantation of pine trees.  The sound of all the birds only added to the possibility of a peaceful life away from the mad rush of their lives in Cape Town. 

Jo was barely listening to the estate agent rambling on about the merits of buying this house.  All she could think of is how much this place fits into her picture of what life would be like with Mark after they got married.  He glanced over at her and smiled as he noticed her eyes transfixed on the elaborate gardens stretching out from the front door onto an endless green canvas, knowing how much she always wanted to have a house with a large garden. 

"I think I like it Martin", she said as she turned away from the estate agent and walked toward the front door. 
The well-put-together man who earlier seemed to Mark to have a flawless professional demeanor, briefly stopped dead in his tracks as he took in Jo's comment.  Mark thought it odd that a guy who seemed so dead-keen on selling this house would be so taken aback by Jo's immediate interest.  Martin quickly caught up to Jo to unlock the front door and let them in, quickly re-assuming his shiny salesman smile.

"I can't believe this place!", she almost shrieked as she grabbed Mark's arm and led him over to the fireplace at the end of the large entrance hall.  Above the fireplace an old mirror glanced back at them, casting a dull light into the entrance hall from the the window in what seemed to be a dining room.  The house had high pressed ceilings, giving an illusion of space that wasn't really required - given the stature of the place.  Across the dining room was a large lounge area, leading toward an elaborate wooden staircase.  Jo spun around like a young teenager, letting go of Mark's hand as she took in the enormity and grandeur of the place, stopping each time to gleefully remark to Martin how much she liked, wanted, dreamed of, wished for this house.  Mark decided to leave her in her oblivious inspection as he walked over to the staircase to explore the rooms upstairs.

"Wait!"  Martin turned away from Jo as he heard Mark start to climb the stairs.  Mark had barely turned around and Martin was already near the bottom of the staircase.
"We can all go upstairs together.  Why don't you explore downstairs first with Jo and I?"
"I think the two of you pretty much have it covered down here.  I thought I'd get a head start on the next leg of the race" Mark grinned back.  The estate agent did not seem amused:
"Mark I don't think its a good idea.  Please stay downstairs with us."
"Ok - if you insist."  Mark started to feel uncomfortable.  Why is this man acting so strangely?

"Oh my god! Oh my god!"  Mark ran toward the sound of Jo's screaming.
"Baby what's wrong?" he shouted as he neared her.
© Copyright 2010 cameronthetitan (marly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733383-Marked