*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733928-Tropical-Vacation-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Mythology · #1733928
Bernard just wanted to relax. Mitzy just couldn't.
“I’m bored. There’s nothing to do,” Mitzy stated.

“We just got done with all our work. This is the only two weeks we get off every year. Just enjoy it.” Bernard replied. He adjusted his sun umbrella to cover his feet.

The waves lapped at the beach, erasing a children’s sand castle in only a few moments. The sunlight danced upon the ocean’s surface. Bernard sipped a tropical fruit smoothie.

“This place is nothing like home.”

“Isn’t that the point? We’re on vacation.”

“Still. I miss home. It’s too hot here.”

“I kinda like it. Maybe we should talk to the boss and get a branch down here. Logistically it would make sense to have one to cover the southern hemisphere.”

“We’d never see anyone. I’d miss the shop. They have all the tools there. Friends we’ve had for decades. You wouldn’t want to live here.”

“I don’t know,” Bernard tilted his sunglasses down and watched a couple of ladies saunter down the beach in bikinis, “I think I could get used to it.” Mitzy swatted him.

“What was that for?”

“You know very well what it was for.”

“Come on. I couldn’t. You know that’s against the rules.”

“Uh-huh. That’s what Graywing said. Now look where he’s at.”

“Why do you ladies always bring that up? That was nearly thirty years ago. Only the second time it has ever happened. He paid the price too. Permanently listed.”

“Just remember where you come from. That’s all.”

“How can I forget?” Bernard murmured. “Just relax and enjoy. We’re not on the naughty list.”

“Elves are not meant to relax. We have toys to make.”

“<Sigh> I just wanted something different.” Bernard stared at Mitzy’s frowning face. “Fine.” Bernard waved his hand and snow began to fall. “Happy?”

Now you’re talking.”

300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: "I'm bored. There's nothing to do."
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733928-Tropical-Vacation-1st-Place