*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734763-Flip-of-the-switch
Rated: GC · Short Story · Death · #1734763
Memories and ponderings of a detective.
The investigator sat nearly 8 hours awaiting the parents to say their last good byes, protecting integrity of the bullet inside the head of this victim and mulling over what possible scenario(s) prompted the execution style murder of this man. The signs of life mechanically induced to preserve the organs for harvest from a medical specialty team. After the parent’s good byes, he was rushed to the operating room so the procedures could begin. The speed and precision in which the organs were harvested was impressive and benefits thereof untold, yet, did it lessen the grief or add meaning for those left behind? Under whose philosophy, culture or religion is this to be debated? Are we free to dole out our organs argued by some as God given yet denied the choice to take ones life and scorned for committing an act solely reserved to God? The mental debate served more distraction at the harvest then a reasoned philosophical inquiry. The definition of life challenged as the investigator watched the monitors showing a heartbeat and breathing rate, glimpsing the heart muscle expand and contract. Was his soul departed or dutifully remaining until the last breath expelled? Was his spirit held at bay in agony by human intervention, awaiting its journey back to the Creator’s side? The half-vacated body, arms and leg bones replaced by broom sticks, hastily sewn and the switch that held his spirit and soul hostage was off. The vines of plastic tubing and monitor lines removed. Taken to the morgue and placed inside a cooler, the investigator applied the lock to the door. His return to the earth delayed by one more exploration in the name of science and justice, the autopsy to recover the projectile, the cause of his demise. No more questions tonight, just a half a bottle of bourbon to anesthetize the memory and maybe get some sleep before morning.
© Copyright 2010 articwolf (articwolf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734763-Flip-of-the-switch