*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734873-Dont-We-All
Rated: E · Short Story · Educational · #1734873
No matter how Mighty and Succesful we are, We all need help.
The car came to an abrupt halt in front of the gym. I glanced at the spot where Andrew usually stood. "Where was he?" I thought, a little annoyed. He better not be late Today. I stepped out of my Green Volvo and started wiping the windscreen. I had planned to go to the car wash today, But I was stuck outside a Gym waiting for my brother to get out.

Coming my way from across the parking lot was what society would consider a "bum". From the looks of him he had no food, no clean clothes, no shelter and he certainly had no car. There are times when I feel generous but there are other times when I just dont want to be bothered. This was one of those "Dont want to be bothered" Times.

"I hope he doesnt ask me for anything" I thought.

He didnt. He came and sat on the curb in front of the bus stop. But he didnt looked like he had enough money to even ride a bus. After a few minutes he spoke.

"That's a very pretty car you've got" He said.

He was ragged but he had an air of dignity around him. With his long White beard, he looked like a skinnier version of Santa Claus.

"Thanks" I mumbled and continued wiping of the screen.

He sat there quietly as I worked. The expected plea for money never came.

As the silence between us widened, something inside me said "Annie, ask him if he needs any help" I knew the answer would be "Yes" But i held true to the inner voice.

"Do you need help?" I asked as politely as i could manage.

He answered in three simple but profound words that i shall never forget. We often look for wisdom in great men and women. We expect it from those of higher learning and accomplishments.

I expected nothing but an outstretched grimmy hand. He spoke the three words that shook me.

"Dont we all?" He said.

I was feeling High and Mighty, Succesful and Important above a Bum in the street before these three words hit me like a twelve guage shotgun.

"Dont We All?"

I needed help. Maybe not for a bus fare or for a place to sleep. But I needed help. I reached in my wallet and gave him not only enough for the bus fare but enough to get him a warm meal and shelter for a night.







Those three little words still ring true.

No matter how much you have, No matter how much you've accomplished, You need help too.



No matter how little you have, No matter how loaded you are with problems, You can give help. Even if it's just a Compliment, You can give that.



You never know when you may see someone who appears to have it all. They are waiting on you to give them what they don't have. A different prespective at life, A glimpse of something beautiful, A respite from daily Chaos, That only you through a torn world can see.





Maybe that man was just a homeless stranger wandering the street. Maybe he was more than that. Maybe he was sent by a power who is great and wise, to minister to a soul which is too comfortable within themselves.



Maybe God looked Down at that Bum and said,

"Go Mister, to that girl wiping her car, That girl needs help"

Dont We All???

© Copyright 2010 Annie Khalid (anniekhalid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734873-Dont-We-All