*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735183-Small-Blue-Box
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1735183
A story about love and rejection and all of the feelings that come with it.




We held hands as we walked down the dirt road of our small town. It was a cool, crisp night. The chill snapped at our elbows, but neither of us wore a coat. The sky was clear; not quite black. It was more like the absence of color.  The stars were brighter than normal, almost like they were screaming to capture my attention.

         “Orion’s my favorite constellation,” I murmured.

         “I know” was his short reply.

         “Do you know why? Because he’s the one man in my life I can count on. He’ll never leave me.” I stopped and gazed up at him as I spoke his praises.

         “Carmen...” Joshua turned towards me.

         And I knew what was coming. I stared into his blue eyes. They were like seas, those eyes. Every poet has used that description, but for Joshua it was really the only way to describe the swirling blue-grey pools of color. Every time I looked into them, I felt like I was being pulled away from shore, into turbulence and storms. If eyes were really the windows to the soul, then Joshua’s soul was that of torment and excitement.

         He slowly took his hand from mine. He looked everywhere but directly at me and pulled something from his pocket. A small blue box.

         “I need to give you this,” he mumbled, as though it physically pained him. I took it without acknowledgment.

         Back when we first started dating, I gave him the box, telling him that it contained my heart and it was from then on his to do as he pleased. His handing it back could only mean one thing...

         “You’re breaking up with me.” It was a statement and a question.

         “Yes.” He replied. He stopped fidgeting and finally looked at me. Like he was waiting for a reaction.

         I dropped the box into the river and watched it float away. He was already turning away from me; I was no longer relevant.

         “I have no use for it anymore...”



© Copyright 2010 Kate Castle (letitsnow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735183-Small-Blue-Box