*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736346-Love-on-the-Rocks
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Lornel
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1736346
Chapter 1, contemporary, romantic suspense for review/comments.
Chapter 1

She cried softly as she diligently watched and waited and prayed for a miracle.  The warmth of the summer sun did not reach her as she continued to crouch in her hiding place, out of sight along one of the many trails the area was known for.  Hidden amongst the thick shrubbery, the woman had a clear view of the steps leading down to the beach as well as a short stretch of the shoreline below.  Here among the ferns, maples, evergreens and birch that abounded on the east coast she kept a constant vigil, ever watchful and fearful of the incoming tide.

Time seemed to drag slowly onward, making seconds feel like minutes and minutes like hours while she anxiously waited for results.  As the tide drew closer, the ocean began to swallow the open beach as wave after wave pounded the shoreline in a steady, relentless crashing against the rocks below.  Already, water surrounded some of the rock formations where only a short while ago adults and children frolicked and played, snapping pictures galore.  There was a general exodus and hastening of footsteps toward the zigzagging stairs leading back up the cliff face.  She caught occasional glimpses of tourists as they scurried around gathering together children and belongings in their rush to escape the thunderous ocean roar.

She had visited here the previous week and been amazed at the artistic erosion rampant along this shore.  The Rocks at Hopewell Cape were constantly changing form because the Bay of Fundy tides were in constant motion.  Here you could watch the highest tides in the world swallow the shore twice every day before sweeping out to sea once again.  She’d learned that the Fundy tides rise at a rate between six and eight feet per hour, virtually making everything disappear right before her eyes.  Just for a moment, she panicked, imagining the impact of one hundred billion tons of water thundering onto the east coast shoreline, filling the caves people now explored. 

The watcher knew time was fast running out.  She continually scanned the beach below, seeing but not registering the myriad rock formations that made this area a world-class tourist spot.  She was totally engrossed in seeing the rush of water lapping at the heels of the people below.  Having carefully chosen this location due to the vast number of tourists who traversed the beach daily, she watched and prayed continuously for her plan to work.

Soon, she prayed despairingly, soon.  This has to happen now…today!  No way did she want to go back down there.  Wherever would she find the strength to try again? 

Slowly, she got to her feet knowing she couldn’t wait any longer.  Now the tide had turned, quickly immersing the beach, the Security people might not be willing to risk letting her go back down.  She had taken exactly three hesitant steps when she noticed a sudden flurry of activity at the mouth of one of the smaller caves.

Breathing a heartfelt sigh of relief that someone had found the bundle she’d placed there a short time earlier, her numb, shaking legs gave way and she sank to the earth in a crumpled heap, rocking back and forth, hugging her empty arms to her chest and keening for what she had lost.  She soon felt her anxiety lessen and could almost breathe normally again as her eyes followed the procession making its way up the beach to the safety of the stairs.  The water was almost upon them now due to the delay in the cave and not wanting to end up swept out to sea by the incoming tide, people had to hurry.

Yes, she cried silently in relief, oh, yes!  This was an answer to her prayers.  Not the one she had hoped for these past weeks, but an answer, nonetheless.  She could see them clearly now, talking and gesturing excitedly as they climbed steadily upwards.  Everything would be all right.  Charity is safe.  As she had timed it, so it had worked out.  The turbulence of the rushing waves would erase any evidence she’d left behind, washing everything out to sea with the reversing of the tide.

***

Anthony Jacobs was currently acting as tour guide for his cousins, Lindsay and Bethany, on vacation and visiting from Toronto, Ontario.  They’d had a full day of it in the Bay of Fundy area, hiking the trails, exploring Fundy Park and picnicking on the beach.  Now he was walking yet another beach, this one studded with caves and gigantic rock formations resembling huge flowerpots and arches.  The girls were suitably impressed, oohing and aahing as they peeked into caves and ran in between rocks and under gigantic archways.

Their youthful exuberance made him feel every one of his thirty-two years although, in fact, he was only eight years their senior.  The novelty of the rock formations and the extreme beauty of their surroundings overwhelmed the girls. They were as eager to explore every little nook and cranny as a child would be.

From the vantage point of the lookout deck at the top of the cliff, they had gotten their first glimpse of the uniqueness of this particular beach.  Anthony had watched in amused fascination as his adorable, but sometimes uptight, cousins had run ahead, racing back and forth and around each and every giant, tree-topped boulder.  He found himself content to lag behind, smiling at their antics, until he had to turn their attention to the incoming tide.

From their visit to the Information Centre, they knew that with the incoming tide this entire area would be under water except for the tallest of the rocks and boulders.  Yet even so, on their trek back to the stairs the girls lingered, exploring the multitude of caves, knowing Anthony would alert them when the tide got too close. 

It was during one of these forays into the mouth of a small, rocky cave that a soft, mewling sound drew their attention. 

“Anthony!  Come quick!  There’s something crying in here,” called Lindsay.

Nestled between a natural cradle of rocks near the entrance to the cave was a securely wrapped bundle.  Thinking it was probably an unwanted litter of kittens strapped in and left to drown, and severely annoyed at the idea, Anthony stooped down and carefully began to unwrap the bundle.

“No kitten this,” he remarked in astonishment as a tiny head and fingers came into view.  Someone had left a child here to drown!  Moving quickly, he tucked the blanket back into place and picked up the baby.  The tide was almost upon them. 

Exuding confidence and authority, Anthony spoke, “It’s a baby.  Hurry everyone, up the stairs.  Questions will have to wait.”  He ushered his cousins and the curious spectators toward safety. 

After gaining the crest of the cliff and locating a picnic table, Anthony said, “Bethany, run to the truck and fetch my medical kit.”  Then he laid the child on the table and unwrapped the now squirming bundle.  Pinned to the inside blanket he found a note saying, “Take care of Charity as I cannot.”  Below that, the writer referred to supplies left behind the Info Center.

Lindsay was reading over his shoulder, and he heard her say, “On my way, Anthony,” as she hurried over to retrieve the supplies. 

When he read the birth date included, he calculated backwards and realized the baby was only six months old!  Anthony was astounded!  Charity means love and yet someone had left this child alone in a damp cave, abandoning her to fate in all its harshness. 

Or had they?  Ever since they’d reached the top of the cliff he’d felt eyes watching him.  Looking around, he discerned that a person could hide anywhere and still have a perfectly good view of the goings on.  Gigantic trees, thick shrubbery and the lengthening shadows of sunset all helped to provide a multitude of places in which to remain undetected.  He or she could even be part of the gathering throng of spectators, avidly looking on as strangers decided the fate of this child.

Giving his head a quick shake, he got back to the matter at hand.  He had to notify the authorities and the baby needed care. 

Bethany returned with his medical kit and held the little girl as Anthony attempted to call the police.  When he pulled out his cell phone, he frowned as he realized he couldn’t get any service in this remote area of Albert County. 

“Lindsay, would you go into the Information Center and call 911?  Explain the nature of the emergency as best you can.”

“Will do.”  She had just returned with the supplies and hurriedly retraced her steps to the center to make the call. 

After a quick but thorough examination in which he noted Charity was a surprisingly happy little girl, considering her ordeal, he discovered normal vital signs and no signs of neglect or abuse (other than the obvious).  His greatest fears upon discovering the baby were those of exposure and/or dehydration, which he quickly ruled out.  Overall, Charity seemed to be in perfect health so she couldn’t have been in that cave very long. 

Anthony handed the baby over to the Lindsay and unpacked Charity’s supplies.  The package left with the infant seat contained blankets, bottles, bottled water, powdered formula, a few changes of clothes, half a dozen disposable diapers and a package of baby wipes.  The girls now had something much different to ooh and aah over as they changed, fed and took turns cuddling Charity.  The baby seemed happy enough, smiling and kicking up a storm, encouraged, no doubt, by all the attention she was getting.  Plainly, this child had been lovingly tended.  Why, then, was she left behind?

As Anthony watched the girls and waited for the authorities to arrive, he could only imagine the depth of love, fear and/or desperation that would drive a mother to abandon her child.  Or was it just plain selfishness on the mother’s part, realizing too late the demands a child would place on her life?  And what of the father?  Where did he feature in all this?  Had he been the one to callously leave the child where it might be found or perhaps drown?  If so, there was a frantic mother around somewhere.  There were too many questions.  He’d let the authorities sort it out.  But he couldn’t help mulling it over and over again in his mind, getting frustrated at the lack of answers and angrier by the minute at someone who could abandon such a sweet child.

While waiting for the police to arrive, they disposed of the remains of their picnic lunch and the girls took turns caring for Charity.  Anthony had just packed everything back into his SUV when he heard sirens in the distance.  Before long, a police cruiser and ambulance pulled in next to the Information Center.

Constables Steven Peters and Danielle Deveraux exited their vehicle and introduced themselves before heading toward the paramedics.  Anthony, with baby Charity securely wrapped and tucked into the crook of his arm, walked toward the ambulance with his cousins at his side.  He handed Charity over to the ambulance attendants.

“Good afternoon, Dr. Jacobs.  Is this the infant found in the cave?” one of them asked.

“Yes, we have no way of knowing how long she’d been there, so I performed routine checks for exposure and dehydration due to the extreme heat.  Vitals are normal.  She appears to be in perfect health but I want the child admitted to The Moncton Hospital for more involved testing and observation in case she’s been left behind due to medical reasons.”

“We’ll take care of her, Sir.”

As the paramedics rechecked vitals, Anthony’s eyes strayed to the surrounding woods, now shrouded in the deeper darkness of dusk.  He realized the sun was setting, turning the western sky into a wondrous panorama of pinks and reds.  This, Anthony knew, was a sure sign of another gorgeous, summer day to follow with the rise of the morning sun.  How would the guardian or guardians of this child sleep tonight?  Would they appreciate the beauty of tonight’s sky with a sigh of relief at having solved their problem?  Or would they lie awake in misery, wondering if the child had been found…if they’d done the right thing?  Were they here now among the spectators, anxiously awaiting the outcome of today’s events?  He wondered about all these things as he looked around at the faces of the interested bystanders.  Once again, he decided to let the police investigate matters.  After all, he was a doctor, not a detective.

Hearing another vehicle approach, Dr. Jacobs turned in time to see a slightly harried young woman alight from a late model, silver sports car. 

“Hi!  I’m Juanita Rogers, a social worker with Child Protection Services.”

Officer Peters spoke up.  “We alerted Child Protection.  Ms. Rogers is here to ensure the child is placed in protective custody.”

Then followed a brief interrogation.  Officer Deveraux began to question the spectators and take note of names and personal information, while Peters had a multitude of questions for Anthony and the girls for which they did not have many answers. 

“Dr. Jacobs, could you show us where you found the baby?” he asked.

“No, I can’t.  The cave is under water at the moment,” Anthony replied.

“What time did you find her?”

“I wasn’t exactly concerned with the hour.  The tide had already turned and we were more concerned with getting to safety above the tide line.  I don’t know what time it was.”

“Have you noticed anyone suspicious hanging around?”

“No, but most of our attention has been on the infant,” Anthony stated.

“Do you have any other information or observe anything else that could be useful to the investigation?” the Officer requested.

“No, just the note, supplies left behind and the bundle itself,” Anthony replied.  “Although I did have a feeling of being watched earlier, it was getting too dark to focus on any area or person in particular.  Everyone here has shown interest, of course.  It’s not everyday you stumble upon a baby stranded in a cave about to flood.  But our main focus has been on the child.  Charity appears to be a happy and seemingly healthy little girl.  Amazing under the circumstances.”

“That’s good news at least.  I’ll have to tag the supplies as evidence,” remarked the officer.  “Have you handled them?”

“Yes, we did.  Charity needed to be changed and fed.”  Anthony answered.  “Feel free to take the supplies to check for fingerprints or whatever.  She’ll be in pediatrics for testing for a couple of days anyway.”

“Thank you,” said Officer Peters.  “Would one of you be able to come back with us at low tide and point out the exact spot where you found the infant?”

“I have a heavy schedule in the morning, but I could possibly make time for you after morning rounds.  What time is low tide?”

“No need for that, Anthony,” said Lindsay.  “Bethany and I can return with the officers in the morning and lead them to the cave where we found her.”

“Good then.  Thank you for your co-operation.  I’ll pick you up in the morning.”  Before turning away, Peters produced a card.  “Contact me or someone at the department if you think of anything else.  A change of heart by the parent or guardian might mean they show up at the hospital.  Have your staff be on the look-out just in case.”

Charity picked that moment to let loose a wail that reverberated through the surrounding woodland.  Ms. Rogers was now in possession of the child while the ambulance attendants packed up but she couldn’t seem to calm her down.  Anthony walked over and gathered the baby in his arms.  Speaking calmly and soothingly to Charity as he hugged the infant to his shoulder and began rubbing the tiny back, she soon belched a very loud, very unladylike burp and settled down comfortably once more.

“Thank you,” said Ms. Rogers with a shame-faced grin. “I’m on call today and usually work with teens.  Not having any children of my own, I was at a loss as to what to do with the child.  I’ve never even babysat a child so small before.  I think it’s probably best that Charity be taken to an emergency placement for the night while I locate a foster home for her.”

“That’s not necessary,” Anthony informed the social worker as he passed the child to one of the paramedics.  “My name is Dr. Anthony Jacobs, Chief of Pediatrics.  Charity will go by ambulance and I’m admitting her to the pediatric unit of The Moncton Hospital for further evaluation.  If the parent or guardian is not located by then, I will assume full responsibility for the infant while the investigation is carried out.”

Ms. Rogers, usually a stickler for going ‘by the book’, was both relieved and uncertain.  “That’s very noble of you, Doctor, but I do need to ask…are you an approved foster parent?  I couldn’t possibly leave the child in your care unless you have the proper certification, even if you are the one who rescued the infant.”

In response to her query, Dr. Jacobs, Lindsay and Bethany each provided references, easily validated with an immediate phone call if necessary.

“I will look into it first thing in the morning,” Ms. Rogers assured them, “If all goes well with the references and the department head for CPS, I will contact you during the afternoon to arrange temporary guardianship of the child.”

Thanking her, Anthony and his cousins took once last look at a grinning Charity and returned to the truck.

“Dr. Jacobs,” called Officer Peters as he was getting into the cruiser, “Don’t forget to keep us informed of the results of your examination.  I’ll expect daily reports sent to the station and to Ms. Rogers at Child Protection.”

“No problem,” replied Anthony as he and his cousins settled into the SUV for the return trip to the city.

As the ambulance pulled out of the parking lot heading toward the hospital, Anthony wasn’t far behind.  He admitted Charity upon arrival and scheduled her for immediate blood work.  After that, Anthony hoped she’d have a good night’s sleep, uninterrupted by dreams recalling the events of this day.  Rigorous testing would commence in the morning and he wanted her well rested.

***

The woman’s eyes remained fixed on the man carrying the baby.  He was the proverbial ‘tall, dark and handsome’ with a lean, muscular frame, broad shoulders, and glossy chestnut hair blowing in the breeze. A lengthy stride quickly carried him across the grounds and around to the front of the Visitors Centre.

Quickly ducking back into the cover of bushes she edged her way around the side of the building to monitor current events as they unfolded.  Now the crowd had dispersed somewhat she noticed two women, identical twins, one on either side of the man. 

Was one of them his wife?  Were they his sisters, or just friends?  She realized it didn’t really matter as long as they cared for her little girl.  She watched in silent agony as the man carefully placed her precious bundle in the arms of one of the women.  No, not hers anymore.  She’d given her baby away.

The watcher knew the exact moment when the man found and read the note because his head jerked upwards and his eyes seemed to dart everywhere at once as he slowly turned a complete circle.  She knew he was looking for her so she slinked further back into the shadowy safety of the shrubs.

Suddenly she started, surprised when the shrill wail of sirens cut the quietness of early evening and flashing lights lit up the surrounding area.  A police cruiser followed by an Ambulance pulled into the parking lot.  The two Officers headed directly toward the threesome surrounding the baby.

In the past half hour, she’d watched her child be changed, fed and cuddled by strangers.  By this time, she hurt so deep down that she couldn’t move...couldn’t breathe.  Now she watched as the paramedics checked her over.

Before long, another car turned into the parking lot.  Paralyzed with uncertainty and fear, she could only watch as the scenario unfolded.  She observed a woman climb hastily out of the car, talk briefly with the officers and proceed to where the medics were examining her baby.  After a tortuously long time, which felt like hours, she was stunned into complete silence as the ambulance attendants wrapped up her baby, packed up their medical supplies and left the parking lot with her precious baby on board. 

What was going on?  Charity wasn’t sick.  Why the ambulance?  The woman who arrived was obviously a Social Worker.  Why didn’t she have the baby?  Her questions were soon answered as the officer called out, requesting Dr. Jacobs keep the authorities informed of the results of his examination. 

The guilt and shame-ridden watcher stayed hidden long after everyone was gone and the center locked up for the night.  Ever so slowly, she crawled forward, trying to work the numbness out of her body so she could rise and be on her way.  Stumbling in the darkness, she made her way to the road and walked the quarter mile to where she had hidden her car. 

It was on a logging road that ran deep into the now dark and forbidding woods.  No more than a rutted, gravel track, barely wide enough for one vehicle, with gigantic trees creating a natural archway overhead, it had provided perfect concealment for her car.  Now those same trees blocked out the meager light of the moon and the woods seemed to come alive with menace in the darkness. 

Wishing for the hundredth time she had brought a flashlight, she continued doggedly along in the darkness, stumbling in the hardened tire tracks of previous vehicles.  Whenever she veered off course, she could count on thorny bushes catching in her clothes or low-hanging branches swatting her face and catching in her hair. 

The forlorn, grieving woman began to wonder if she’d ever make it to her car.  Maybe this was to be her punishment.  She also wondered what kinds of wild animals lived in this forest but only her labored breathing and faltering steps broke the quiet of the woods.  It was an eerie kind of quiet and she was grateful to finally make it to her car.  Driving as if on autopilot, she somehow made it home, barely seeing beyond the tears falling in a steady stream.

***

Home was a dilapidated two-bedroom trailer on the outskirts of Moncton.  No one knew her here.  No one cared.  She had acquired the trailer through a rental agency when she’d arrived in Moncton a few months earlier.  Not knowing the city well enough at that point, she had parked at the shopping center and taken a taxi to the rental office to pick up the keys. 

The driver was a friendly, grandfatherly type with bright, white hair and twinkling, blue eyes.  Charity was sleeping when they arrived at the office and the driver had kindly offered to keep an eye on her while she went inside to do her business.

Running from an abusive relationship where she lived in constant fear for her life and that of her child, the woman didn’t trust easily.  But for some reason, as they made eye contact and she saw the sincerity and kindness residing there, she trusted this man.  Nodding her head in thanks as she exited the vehicle, she got her business done as quickly as possible and returned to find her baby still sleeping peacefully.

Back at the shopping center, she’d purchased a few supplies and necessities, then, following the directions the rental agent had provided, found the trailer park with very little trouble. 

Her trailer was on the last street over at the edge of the park.  There were giant evergreens growing along the opposite side of the road, an empty lot on one side and no one living in the rental beside her.  There was even a high, wooden privacy fence surrounding the small yard.

The place had provided a safe and blessedly quiet haven these past few months, but as she entered her home now all she could feel was a vast emptiness.  Totally bereft without her precious baby to hold onto, she felt wrapped in a loneliness so acute she could barely breathe.

“How could I have done that?” she admonished herself.

“How could I not?” she answered resignedly.

Her savings depleted, rent overdue and no job in sight totaled desperate times.  ‘Desperate times, desperate measures,’ had always been her mother’s favorite motto, and Lord knows how desperate she’d been to find a safe place for Charity. 

Today, it seemed, she had at least succeeded in that.  She should be happy.  Her little girl was now in the hands of a Doctor and his family and she had a much better chance of surviving, even thriving, with all the advantages of a stable home.

She, herself, had nothing left to offer except love and she loved her little girl enough to let her go…but, oh, how she missed her.  Charity deserved so much more than the meager offerings she could provide.  Her arms ached terribly, wanting to hold her precious baby again and she felt as if the pain would never go away.  Listlessly making her way down the hall she crawled into bed, clothes and all, sobbing uncontrollably until exhaustion overtook her and finally she slept.



***This novel is complete if you have time to review and comment.***
© Copyright 2010 Lornel (lornel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736346-Love-on-the-Rocks