*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736604-The-Note
by Sentry
Rated: · Fiction · Death · #1736604
You thought they can't reach you... But you're wrong!
"Look I caught a Boar!" said the hunter while boasting his latest catch of the week. we were so amazed the someone as old as 67 were able to catch up with an animal like that. we all laugh, talk and sing together as we wonder the dark forest.

It seemed like the sun will never shine in that place! The moon totally block by the trees that surrounds us, Wolves howling at the moon or something i do not wish to know and shadows seem to follow us everywhere we go. To tell you the truth I was scared at the atmosphere of the place. It's like the forest was going to eat me alive!

I don't even know how I put up with that until we reach the hunter's house. Maybe its because of them that i manage to ignore the fear that now stabs my heart. It was like knives that tries to deeper and deeper within my heart. Then, someone got hold of me at my back! It startled me, and spoked:

"You ok,buddy?"

"Ummmmm.... Yeah!" I smiled at my friend while shaking.

They laughed at me and the hunter invited us to stay at his house since there were only three of us to start with. My friend tried asking me what's wrong. I refused to answer him but he keeps on pestering me about it, so i said that I was scared of the forest. It's like the home of demons or something.

"Common now! There's nothing to be scared about this forest! maybe the snakes and the other wild animals are scary but besides that we have nothing to be afraid of!" said my friend

"Also you'll get used to it after some years living here!" added the hunter.

The two of them laughed at me. Maybe they are right there is nothing to be afraid of this forest! It's just the wild animals that i should be worried, not some stupid demon!

So we eat and drink until we fell asleep. it was the happiest night of my life and fear casts its grip away from me!

It was a very peaceful night. They were all fast asleep and as for me, I was awoken by my bladder! Darn! it was so dark there! lucky for me that the light of the moon was shining outside. So i pissed over the nearby tree and walked straight to the house.

That was until I heard chantings coming at my back. It freaked me out but the words of the hunter and my friend were still there to calm me.

So i slowly turned my head around....

The chantings getting loud as my headed turns to see this things behind me...

And when i finally turned the chantings became softer. I barely couldn't hear it! But at the corner of my eye, i saw a light going deeper in the forest.

My senses tells me not to go near it but my curiosity got the best of me. So i followed the light and saw hooded men march deeper in the forest. Their chants became louder as I got closer to them. They chant words that i cannot understand. But i know one thing, these chants.... They chill my spines to the core! This made me hold on tightly to my friend's words. and although I'm already scared, I still followed them.

Finally they stopped and formed a circle in some kind of ziggurat. and it got me surprised since there were no ziggurats in our village, not a single one.But what really surprised me is the scream of a man echoing in the forest. the scream pierced my heart and spirit. as i see the man was struggling for his life. This man was brought to the center of the circle and i see that the man could not overpower the grips of his captors.

Then, the screams of the man were over empowered by the chants that brought chills on my spines earlier. The only difference is that the chants were like destroying every sanity in my life as i see them kill the man that was screaming earlier. It was gruesome and it was the most hideous thing that i have seen in my life!

While staring at them the sky got darker and darker. Clouds block the shining light of the moon.

Then thunder stroke the middle of the circle and it was enough to send me screaming and running for my life!

I just kept running and running.....

I didn't even dare to look back...

I don't even care anymore whether or not they are following me!

And then, I heard footsteps behind me! the men were following me!

When I reach the house of the hunter, I quickly bolted the door and the windows of the house. This awoken my friends from there slumber. And when they ask me what's wrong I told them everything that I saw earlier. I warned them not to go outside but they won't listen. And when they got back, They said that there were nothing outside and that i was only dreaming. Then they went back to sleep.

As for me I couldn't sleep at all! I know what i was back there! It was A sacrifice to some demon or something!

This fear slowly lulled me to sleep...

A few days has past and that memory was still fresh in my mind. It kept me awake at night and haunts my dreams every single day. So i decided to run away from my village and never return.

I think it was the right decision since those men can't capture me anymore. and the nightmare i experience during that night slowly fade away. My life finally returned to normal.Since a few years has past since that incident, I thought i can finally take a breath.

But I was wrong.....

when i woke up in the morning. People were murmuring about something outside. they kept saying:

"who would do such a thing?!"

then fear crept at me again... as i open the door, I saw the innkeeper dead and was lying in front of my door. this surprised me but what really surprised we is the note that was hanging in my door. It totally took all my sanity as i read it. and i ran and ran and ran.....

the note says

"We finally found you and we are never going to stop until your dead!"
© Copyright 2010 Sentry (wisp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736604-The-Note