*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736623-Fresh-Start
by daniel
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1736623
The beginning chapter to an adventure/fantasy novel. Please suggest improvements. Thanks
How did it come to this?

The harsh heartbeat of a million drums, echoing for miles around. Violent war cries colliding, reflecting the vicious battle below. Sword against metal, bullet against skin. And an unbearable heat, whipping every living thing, breaking down the barrier between the sane and the insane. This was war at its worst...

And a single child, alone on the cliff top. Silent. Watching. Waiting. Gently, he started to rock, back and forth, back and forth.  Like a great wall building higher and higher, a ferocious wind began to swirl behind this small, innocent child, threatening to sweep him away.

Humming, seemingly unaware of the battle beneath, an eerie glow began to emanate from the child, the light growing ever stronger. He became an orb of pure light, shining white beams that appeared to never end. As the peaceful, roaring sound grew louder, the harsh battering of the winds against an invisible barricade became more apparent. 

Whilst miles below, two forces raged, an ocean of rainbows on a scarlet ground. Twisting talons clawing through empty spaces, narrowly missing the creature receiving the blow. Dodging and diving, the variety of nightmare creatures pushed forwards against the opponent, a fierce, but dwindling, group of soldiers.

One man led them. One man had always led them. But now his time was come. His death approached...

The youth watched all of this with an emotional face, tears creeping along his skin. The eyes, seemingly older than the body and soul, reflected a sense of knowing, a premonition of things to come. Leader of leaders, father of fathers, this great man was about to pass from the world of the living. The boy stood silent, tears now pouring from his face, as, far below, his idol and mentor fell back under a tide of nightmarish dreams.

And as the lifeless body hit the floor, the child collapsed with it, unleashing the torrent of winds and energy. For the boy, everything slowed down, and he dreamt of his life, of the damage he had caused. But also of the lives he had saved. He didn’t regret what was to come now. He had just lost the foundation of his life, and he wanted revenge...

The winds swept aggressively over the barren landscape, causing cracks in the dry land. Every combatant on that deathly ground turned and faced their destruction. Some ran. Others stood and waited. Nevertheless, once the wind had passed, no one was left.

Apart from the boy...

© Copyright 2010 daniel (dannyo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736623-Fresh-Start