*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736743-Two-Days-in-Paris
Rated: 18+ · Review · Cultural · #1736743
Review of the Film
This film is a romantic comedy with a difference. The dialogue is witty, hemmed with sarcasm and sincerity in equal measure. It focuses on two days Jack and Marion spend in modern day Paris as part of a tour they are doing of Europe. Marion played by Julie Delpy is a French photographer and brings her mildly hypochondriac boyfriend Jack played by Adam Goldberg to meet her family and friends. They are both in their early thirties, She has been with him for two years; they met whilst she was living in America. Jack is immersed into the alien environment of French Parisian culture. He does not speak French which contributes to his growing suspicions, that Marion is having an affair with one of the many old boy fiends she happens to meet up with as she shows Jack her Paris.

Her parents are played by her parents. The moments of explicit sexual language used by her father at the Art exhibition send Jack experiencing internal waves of shock, which he absorbs and regurgitates as caustic comments. As they walk, the Father casually scratches any cars that are parked partly on the pavement, as their owner’s punishment for being so inconsiderate. Whilst doing so he carries on a day to day conversation with his daughter, who does not bat an eye lid while Jack is shocked and wants him to stop.

The clash between the French and American cultures is illustrated fervently with the various agonies Jack goes through, as he attempts to cope with the outlandish frankness and the overtly tactile way of Marion’s French friends. He ricochets from the experience of meeting the artists that take casts of woman’s intimate body parts, to the family he finds out know too much about him. Jack copes by using acerbic wit, and asides the French don’t catch, but amuse him and are an outlet for insults. Jack struggles but gets drowned in thoughts of his girlfriend’s misdeeds and jealously takes control of his mind, causing them to split for a day. The internal voice over is used at moments of her female insight, as when they have their split and whilst they are attempting to have sex. They are accurate female meanderings and you smile in recognition.

Julie Delpy wrote and directed this film herself and does it expertly. The acting is very accomplished by all the characters. It is an amusing film and illustrates the typical male, female struggle for understanding and acceptance within a relationship. The way its filmed keeps your attention throughout, particularly the use of the still photography which punctuates the scenes unexpectedly. An enjoyable film, out on DVD - don’t miss it.
© Copyright 2010 Finn O'Flaherty (fin333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736743-Two-Days-in-Paris