*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736761-Are-You-Bored
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1736761
not written yet.
Are you bored?

Not right now, obviously, since you're reading this story. And if you're reading this story, you can't claim you're still bored. That's because this is one of those stories. Those wonderful, magical, delightful stories that help to alleviate boredom.

Our story starts on a warm summers day, about 25 degrees Celsius. It was around two in the afternoon that Patrick heard an annoying buzz in his left ear. "Damn mosquitoes!", he thought to himself. "Just won't leave people alone!"

Then he came to two startling realizations at once. This is a very hard thing to do, simply because the realizations tend to crash into one another rather loudly and they make a very dramatic clang that is designed to wake you up.

The first realization was that it was, two in the afternoon and no self respecting mosquito would be out at this hour.

And the second realization was that he was sitting in the sunlight and doing absolutely nothing.

Now most people would think to themselves and wonder why the realization that you were sitting in the sunlight and doing nothing would startle you. Well, it may not startle you. But then, you're not Patrick, are you?

You see, Patrick was an accountant.

Patrick's days and nights revolved around a carefully planned and plotted diary, appointment book and task list. If Patrick had believed, somewhere in his accountant's soul, that there was a God, then his Holy Trinity would be his Diary, Appointment Book and Task List. Amen.

So to Patrick, who we've worked out; is not you, this gross violation of time-being-spent-without-being-plotted could not be more startling. And that he was doing it unconsciously! Heavens!

Quickly looking around to make sure that no one had seen him commit this foul and egregious deed, he stopped doing absolutely nothing, very hard, and commenced doing something. In this case, doing something was the item set down for two twenty five in the afternoon. "Walk to Office."

"Ah, this is easy", thought Patrick and off he went.
© Copyright 2010 joel.wijesuria (joel.wijesuria at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736761-Are-You-Bored