*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740867-Shaper
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1740867
A man with a special gift finds a young woman that he wishes to share his power with.
I had searched long and hard for someone, someone with a beautiful mind. Someone with free thought and a willingness to bend the laws of reality in what they do. I was looking for an artist.

I had found her. Her name was Lilly, she was an amazing artist, a true visionary. I had seen some of her art through exhibits, she showed a true potential, true artistic vision.

I had to speak to her. I found her home and broke into it, in a manner of speaking, I turned the door to water and walked through it. I stepped quietly down the hallway and stopped in her room. She was fast asleep. I sat down and watched her for a long while. After a few hours, she stirred and noticed me. She was very relaxed, I think she believed me to be a dream.

“Who are you?”

“My name? Well, I suppose you could call me….” I thought about it for a few minutes, then it hit me, “Morpheus, you can call me Morpheus.”

“Morpheus? That’s a weird name.”

I laughed, “Well, very little about me is what you would call normal.”

“This isn’t a dream, is it?”

“No, but if it would make you feel better, I can do things like it is a dream!” I whirled about and floated up to the ceiling. I sat there, smiling widely at her.

Her eyes widened, they were almost half the size of dinner plates, “What are you and how did you get in here?” she asked me, staring at me with those amazingly blue eyes of hers.

“I’m what’s known as a Shaper. I can alter reality around me.”

“Prove it, show me something else you can do!” she said, watching me intently.

I flashed her my most charming smile before turning around. I looked at her desk and thought of it turning into a large purple cat with neon green stripes. It shifted into the proper form and walked over to her slowly, laying at her feet and licking her hand, fairly nice work, if I do say so myself. “Believe me now?”

“Yeah, that’ll do it.” she gazed at the unbelievingly. After a few minutes she looked up at me, “What do you want with me though?”

I gestured to the images covering the ways, “This, you have an amazing imagination. One I’ve never seen before, so I want to teach you every thing I know. I want to show you worlds unseen but in the imagination. To do the impossible and alter the true and bland. I want you to help me fill this drab and dreary world with brilliant color!” I said, growing progressively louder.

“But, why me? What makes me so different from all the other people that create things? What about all the other artists?”

“They don’t seem to sing to me as well as you do. Honestly, I don’t know exactly why I chose you, fate seems to call to me, but I can’t walk away.”

“But… why? I‘m a drop out, I failed almost everything but art!”

A quote popped into my head, one that seemed to fit the situation, “Albert Einstein once said, ‘Imagination is more important than knowledge’. I chose you because you are brilliant, not in the way that this world cares about, but in the way that matters, your mind is pure and wild and free!” I offered her my hand, “Come with me, Lilly, show me your imagination. I’ll show you sights you’ve only dreamt of!”

She smiled at me and stood up, her long ebony hair fell down around her shoulders. “I’ll do it.”

I smiled and opened up a portal with a thought, “Let’s get a move on then, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover!” The two of us walked together into the portal, leaving behind the world of the bland and the old and entering a world of color and wild abandon. A world of imagination.



Word Count: 665
© Copyright 2011 NeloAngelo (mynameisdeath at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740867-Shaper