*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741302-Jump
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kyrie
Rated: E · Other · Animal · #1741302
A work in progress.
A small red-roan paint mare galloped freely around the arena, the girl on her back easily urging her on, not even having to do more than grip with her thighs. She needed neither saddle nor bridle, and laughed as the pony gathered more speed by stretching out and bringing her belly closer to the ground.

“All right, now collect her….good.” A man standing in the middle of the arena called to her, then praised her as she effortlessly did as he asked. Horse and girl were like one as they continued around the arena, the mare’s nose tucked almost to her chest as she collected her stride, taking smaller steps but still maintaining the same speed. “She looks really good. Now turn in at A and take her over the jump.” The man called out again, then smiled as the girl kept the mare in the same collected gallop even over the two foot vertical. “What do you think? Is she ready to go higher?” He asked and was answered by a smile.

“I think that she’s ready. But don’t put it up too much higher just yet. Let her get used to it before we go much higher.” The girl replied, still beaming as she kept the horse galloping around the arena after coming out of the jump. They continued around the arena as the man raised the jump to a 2 foot 4 vertical.

“Ok, take her over again, and don’t forget to push her up until the jump.” He said as the girl turned in to take the jump again and cleared it easily, girl and horse in perfect harmony, seemingly one body. The girl praised her loudly and gave her a pat on the neck as they continued around the arena to take the jump again from the other side. “Good. Bring her down to a trot now and start cooling her out. Three laps of trotting each way, then five laps of walking each way and then we will see how hot she is. You did very well.” He praised them both, then went about the task of putting all the jumps back in their given places.

The girl smiled as she sat deeply and they slowed to a trot, her hips easily moving with the horse and absorbing all the impact so that she didn’t bounce on the pony’s back. The horse relaxed as they went through the cool-down routine that always followed a fast lesson, and the two relaxed into the slow jog together, both reaching their most relaxed point almost at the same time. It was amazing to watch them together, they acted almost as if they were one being, not girl and horse.

Chase stood there watching the two cool down after he finished putting the jumps up, and he smiled at the bond between them as if it were the first time that they were together again. He had formulated this bond a year and a half ago when he suggested that Kyrie go look at a horse that one of his good friends was looking to sell. He had driven her and her parents out to his friend’s stable and thought that they would be perfect together right when Kyrie got on. Nala had seemed to know what Kyrie was thinking before she even realized herself. They were the perfect pair, with the kind of trust that every rider wants to have with his or her horse, as well as from their horse. They would dazzle the crowds at the next show when they went the whole day without any tack at all. He had seen that kind of talent only twice before, and both pairs were now well and gone.

“So, do you think she’s ready for this weekend?” Chase asked Kyrie as he watched girl and horse slow to a walk after completing the trotting cool-down. Kyrie didn’t need to do anything but press her weight down slightly onto Nala’s back for the horse to slow, responding beautifully to the pressure.

© Copyright 2011 Kyrie (kyrie.cloud232 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741302-Jump