*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741567-A-World-Without-Wayne
Rated: 13+ · Other · Music · #1741567
This is just an opinion I had while Lil' Wayne was incarcerated.
A World Without Wayne:

I am an avid music lover with no direct link to the music industry besides my addiction for a few good verses over a good beat, and interest for lavish lifestyles that I will never be able to live.  My favorite artist by far is Lil’ Wayne.  With his incarceration in March of 2010, I find myself wondering where hip-hop would be if the genius lyricist and musician was able to work religiously as he had before his incarceration.  We all know the “hardest working man in show business” filmed about 20 music videos in February before beginning his yearlong prison sentence.  Although Wayne will always be an unforgettable icon in the music industry, it was almost as if he wanted to make sure his legacy was not to be forgotten.  With the anticipation of his release from Riker’s Island, I ask myself… “What has Wayne’s incarceration done for hip-hop?”
My everyday has become a routine.  I wake up in the morning, brush my teeth, and get in the bathtub.  I find myself having a Rev Run moment, sitting in the bathtub on my Blackberry (minus the bubbles).  Instead of tweeting positive thoughts and encouragement to millions from my Blackberry, I’m searching for new music from Wayne that perhaps wasn’t released before he was incarcerated.  While a free man, it was not common to have a day with hip-hop sites posting 3 or 4 new songs where Wayne was featured.  Now, with maybe 1 new Wayne song being release a week, I find myself giving other artists that I previously had no interest in, a chance to get my undivided attention.
The unfortunate events that have happened to Lil’ Wayne, could possibly be best thing that has happened to hip-hop since invention of the “Remix.”  My ears are now unbiased.  Not to say for any moment, am I not impatiently waiting for the release of my favorite rapper, but I have put some serious attention to other artists, and have found a new appreciation for music.  I am no longer listening to a song just because Wayne is featured, but I am actually anticipating the next Lil’ Wayne to arrive.  I know these are only my personal thoughts, but I’m sure other artists are seeing an increase in their wallets as well, because Wayne is in a sense a monopoly in this industry.  The rapper turned musician has quickly created a certain expectation of greatness for everything that he touches, and with no disrespect to any other artist, I cannot imagine the last decade of music without him.
So in my unwarranted and unprofessional opinion, I think all artists should take advantage of the mistakes the Young Money CEO has made that led him to his imprisonment, and work 25 hours and 8 days a week.  We all know that Wayne’s release will be the beginning of yet another long-term music era with a brand new meaning to the words hip-hop.   
© Copyright 2011 tharemixbayb (tharemixbayb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741567-A-World-Without-Wayne