*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742099-Star---Getting-Home
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Animal · #1742099
Star is a wild stallion. He must face death, love, pain, and excitement to get back home.
         Nostrils flared, flanks bathed in sweat, the black stallion galloped through the canyon, a small group of ranchers continuing the chase, their mounts beginning to tire. As he charged around the next corner, the mustang decided that he had had enough fun for one day. In the blink of an eye, he slid to a stop and was crashing back through the throng of riders and horses, knocking one of them over as he made his was up a separate tunnel. He dashed through the darkness, looking back to make sure that they were still following his antics.
         Once out of the tunnel, he made his way to where the ancient gulley broke the canyon in half. Lifting his feet, he leaped to the other ledge, sliding on his hind end before he turned around to see the riders bring up their mounts. They can't jump it, their horses aren't trained to jump. The black eyes danced hysterically as he skipped away mockingly.
         He was as much of a star as the lights that lit up the dark sky were, as the last rays of sun disappeared behind the mountains in the distance.

Chapter 1

         Star's breathing had settled before he set foot into the valley he called home, but his ebony coat was specked with white foam. Still, he shone in the moonlight, a figure not to be ignored. Pausing, he called out, before he heard a responding whinny over the hills. Breaking into a canter, he followed it to his band.
         The days events hadn't unraveled in any unusual way. His body was toned from the weekly, and sometimes daily, runs, and Star could tell you stories of every chase. His long tail had been whipped in the longing peoples' faces for 6 years now, and his eyes danced with the last remaining adrenaline from the day.
         Star's mares and foals were not surprised when he stepped over the rise and trotted over to his lead mare, Abreata. They had known where he was, and they trusted Abreata to keep them safe from danger while Star was gone. The foals were already asleep, their large eyes closed and their long ears flopped down the side of their heads. The mares were still awake, grazing and keeping watch over their colts and fillies. Now that Star had returned, they too would sleep.
         Tired but responsible, Star stayed up until he was certain that all was safe, then he let his eyelids drop. He slept peacefully in the center of the group, waking up every hour or so to check on his family.

         The next morning, Star lead his band to the quiet spring where they sheltered during the day. The spring flowed out through a narrow cave in the rock wall which surrounded them 270 degrees around, the high walls offering protection from the sun, wind and the rain. The sprinkle of mist that did manage to drift into the grassy area dampened the horses' coats. Star always traveled here, even if the weather was nice, because the grazing was the best around.
         Though seemingly a safe haven, the predators that called the cliff face home were always a potential danger for Star to watch for. And it was on that morning that he noticed the glint of green eyes halfway up the cliff walls.
         Trumpeting loudly, he warned the group of mares and their foals who were nearest the cougar, and six sets of heads shot up. But Star knew that it was too late, that the three foals hadn't enough strength to get out of the way as the cat jumped.
         Leaping into action, Star jumped beside the foals and chased them away, showing them just how much danger they were in by bearing his teeth at them, scaring them into running away. The cougar leaped at Star, and narrowly missed the black stallion's neck with her teeth and claws. But it was up again in a flash, unscathed. She lunged at Star again, this time tearing a gash into Star's crest. Furious, Star reared up with teeth bared, ears pinned flat against his head as he snapped at the cat, pulling it off of his neck and onto the grass. Blood spurted from the wound in his neck as he jumped at the cougar, just missing her head as she got up and made one last attack. The cat landed on the stallion's back, but wasn't able to dig in with her sharp claws before she was thrown by the bucking horse. Growling fiercely, the cat backed up, before Star snorted angrily, at which point she decided it wasn't worth it and scampered back into the rocks. She would have to find another meal for her and her cubs.
         Snorting in satisfaction, Star turned to his herd. The three foals rushed up to him happily, their ears drooped sheepishly to the sides of their heads. He nuzzled them, assuring them that he wasn't mad at them. Abreata followed them, nuzzling the wound on his neck. The blood had stopped, and  his thick long mane hid the cut from view, but it was still painful. He leaned into her as she scratched it. He would have to remain on the lookout for the cougar, even though Star suspected that she wouldn't be back anytime he was around.

Chapter 2

         The days passed by quietly and uneventfully for Star and his band, with the occasional sighting or the scent of the large cat prowling the area for any chance of a meal. But she stayed away from the horses best she could whenever she smelled the black stallion among the mares and their foals.
         It was on a particularly quiet day when Star stood listening to the valley's sounds at the top of the hill, that he happened to here a familiar sound. The smells of the unfamiliar horses warned him that there was danger across the valley, and that he should get his mares out of the sheltered area, or they would be trapped. He saw the small group trotting over the far rise before he had a chance to turn, and cantered down the hill, whinnying for his band to leave.
         Heads shot up and the mares turned away, trotting off. Their foals cantered alongside of their dams, tossing their heads in excitement of yet another adventure. If they were scared, none of them showed it. Abreata nickered before she followed them, wishing Star luck.
         Turning back towards the riders, his eyes narrowed. He had to lead them away from his family.
         Rearing up, he neighed loudly, catching their attention before they could notice the large band of horses going the opposite direction. Immediately, they kicked their mounts, urging them into a gallop. Tossing his head, Star was off as well, leading them towards the forest.
         The forest was dark, and the terrain was rough and unforgiving. Star loved the forest though, as he was built for running across the rocky ground, dodging the trees and brush. Turning his head, he was relieved to see that they were still not too far behind him. He had no fear for himself, only for his family. He could tell that their horses were tireing quickly from the demanding chase though.
         As he led them out of the trees and into the rock walls of the canyon, he turned sharply into a steep passageway, hoping to loose them at the bottom. But the riders urged their horses on, and Star was forced to finish the climb up to the top.
         Since Star was sued to the canyon and most of it's trails, he decided to go a different way, hoping to confuse them. He dashed through a narrow slit in the rocks, barely squeezing through, and was sure that the riders would not fit. But they did, hitting their horses when they refused to enter the dark space, until they emerged from the gap. Pea brained horses! How could they let themselves be pushed to such stupidity? He snorted, starting to tire himself as he galloped on.
         Suddenly, he raised his head and whinnied in alarm, sliding back onto his hindquarters swiftly to avoid sailing over a ledge. Breathing heavily, he listened as a few stones struck the bottom of the gorge. His ear twitched with worry as he listened to the shod hoof beats catch up to him. He was trapped!
         I'm not going without a fight! He whinnied angrily, flailing his hooves near the riders' heads as he tried to push his way back through the group of horses. One nearly fell over in exhaustion, and bumped into Star, knocking him too off balance. In that split second, a rope landed firmly around his neck.
         Enraged, the stallion bucked, teeth bared as another lasso snatched up his back fetlock. Whinnying in alarm now, he fell to the ground, teeth and hooves still flailing violently, trying to get up, trying to fight. But he couldn't. He was beat.
         Sweat rolled down his face as he lay on the ground, refusing to move as the ropes tightened around his neck and legs. Whinnying in pain, he hoped that Abreata could hear him. I'm beat! Abreata, protect my family, I will be back soon, I promise!

Chapter 3

         Abreata's ears flicked in alarm as Star's harsh cry broke the still silence of the afternoon. Lifting her head slowly, she refused to believe his words. Whinnying in pain, she stretched out her neck, longing for his touch, his scent, his warmth. But she knew that he was gone. Desperate, she turned away from the valley and lay down on the soft grass, closing her eyes in defeat. She knew that she had to keep the band safe until he returned, but she wasn't sure if she would be able to. Many stallions other than Star called the far edges of the valley home, and without a lead stallion to protect them, Abreata and the other mares could be stolen. Nickering quietly in sadness, she got back to her feet and slowly made her way back to the herd to break the news.

         Tired and spent, Star's figure slumped away from the ropes that criss-crossed around his neck and head, stealing him, leading him away from his life. Occasionally, he would lift his head and slow his step, not wanting to move. But the ropes would pull him onward. The cut on his neck had reopened, and dried blood was clumped in his mane and matted in his coat.
         The trek continued on through the night, and the riders kept their horses going on short water breaks at nearby streams. Star would refuse to drink, and now he was beginning to feel weaker as the sun rose the next morning. At the next water stop, he lowered his head to drink, dipping his muzzle into the cool water for a few moments. I am strong, I don't need water every hour as they do. He had always mocked the tame horses, made fun of how they tired so fast. He didn't realize that that was what they were going to try to do to him. Now he was finding it hard to make good points to himself about their weaknesses. He had never really been challenged before in his young life.
         Suddenly, from across the stream, came a low growl. Star's ear twitched quickly, and raised his eyes to search for the source of the sound. The green eyes caught his attention, and he backed up several paces, until the ropes were taught against his skin. Snorting a warning to the large cat who sat perched in a tree near the other horses. Tired, he did not want to fight, and tried to retreat the other way, ears pinned in wariness. Only one rider saw the cat, and pointed to it in alarm. But it was too late.
         The cat jumped from the tree, landing squarely on on of the horse's backs as she drank from the stream. Tied to the tree, she tried to rear, but the rope held firm. The cat's claws dug into her back, and it reached for the mare's neck. For victory. Star bared his teeth and lashed out at the cat, hitting it across the back with his front hooves, pulling it off of the alarmed mare. Shying away, she skittered sideways out of harm as the cat tried to regain it's prey. The black stallion was tired, but attacked again, this time for his own safety as the cougar growled and leaped at Star. The sharp claws tore a slight gash across his lower shoulder, but was sent flying by a swift kick. Growling, it ran back into the woods for safety.
         Limping, Star winced, but kept his head high as the ropes pulled him back in with the rest of the horses as one man ran over to the mare, grave faced.
         "I don't know if she's worth bringing along, the flesh is torn pretty deep." the man said plainly. "It might be best to do away with her now."
         His suggestion was met with a chorus of agreement as he took out his rifle. Star watched as the man aimed the weapon and pulled the trigger at the mare, who was down on the ground from her injuries. The trigger was pulled, and the frightened stallion bolted away from the noise. The ropes restrained him, and he watched as the mare's head dropped and her eyes rolled back into her head as it hit the dirt.
         "Cat got the mouse." He said as he hoped up onto another horse behind one of the other riders, rifle still in hand.
         Horrified, Star followed willingly now, escaping the smell of death and the mare behind. But he could not erase what he had seen. These men were killers. Heartless killers, who would not stop at one, Star was sure. From behind him, he heard the cat emerge from the brush and make it's way towards it prize that it thought it had lost.


Chapter 4

         Star's energy returned as they picked their way across the grassy hills, stepping over rocks and tripping into the many holes that littered the land, but only slowly. Star was used to the kind of terrain that was found here, but in his drowsy state, he had tripped several times, and the unforgiving men hadn't done so much as stop and wait until he got up to keep going.
         Finally, after many hours throughout the day and the night, Star spotted the outlines of a small village on the horizon. He knew this meant rest, but he didn't want to get any further from his family.
         Planting his hooves in the grass, he snorted weakly, trying his best to pull back. But even though the too were tires, the group over powered him easily, pulling him onwards and into the gates that would trap him inside. No! In one last burst of energy, he reared up, successfully yanking several of the ropes from the mens' hands. Whinnying in hatred, he leaped forward, but a new rope was thrown over his head and pulled him backwards away from his enemy. Spent, he was pulled along the streets to the stables at the other end of the small town.
         The people murmured in surprise as they leaned out of their homes to watch the small parade, wondering just how they had managed to catch the famed stallion. Questions filled their heads, but they dared not speak. How did they catch him? What would they do with him? Was he really all he was told to be? The questions were left behind as the horses left the village and went through another gate, this time stopping as it closed behind them.
         The stallion was led through the stable yard, barely conscious of the many eyes upon him. He was let into a stall, and the ropes were removed from around his sore skin. Finally, as the last man left the stall, it was quiet.
         Snorting, Star lowered his head and sniffed at the hay in the feed tub at the back of the stall, his attention never leaving the door. He was furious, and his eyes burned with smoldering fire as he thought about how they had forced him away from his band. He hated them all, and nothing would stop him from killing them if they tried to push him any furthur. He was at the end of the line, ready to snap. But he needed rest. Bending his legs, he lowered himself to the ground, resting in the straw. His neck stretched out and he sighed. Sleep hit him hard, and he let it take him, thankful that the day was over.

Chapter 5

         The black stallion had been awake for a while now, and peered hard through the bars of the stall, out across the stable yard. The mares across the yard were all nickering and jumping around excitedly, having noticed the stallion who was neighboring them.
         What kind of artificial world is this? Star wondered, trying to poke his nose through the iron bars to get to the mares, nickering. Each horse had it's own stall, and the stallions were each isolated from each other and the mares, who were arranged in rows at the far end of the stable block. From out of his stall, Star could see the heat from the sun beating down on the sand that covered the ground, making paths through the green grass.
         He wanted out, he wanted to be able to escape this cruel, strange planet and get back home. Rearing up, his hooves battered the wooden wall, but he could not splinter the wood. After several attempts, he had managed to put several dents into the side of the stall, as well as bent one of the bars a few inches to the side.
         Snorting heavily, he began pacing around the small confine, ears flicking around every which way. He was worked up into a heavy sweat, and was breathing heavily now from stress. His water remained untouched until late in the afternoon, but he refused to touch his hay. He wasn't hungry.
         Star jumped to the back of the stall as the door opened, and a tall man stepped in with a lead shank and a halter. His ears flattened against the top of his head as the man stepped towards him. Reaching up, the man grabbed hold of the black ear before Star had a chance to react. Star snorted in pain as his ear was held down firmly and the halter was put around his head and buckled up in one swift movement. Baring his teeth menacingly, the stallion fought to free himself, and lunged at the man's hand. He bit hard and then pulled away, jumping for the door. The man kept his grip on the rope, but couldn't stop Star completely. Using a fence as support, he let the angered stallion run around the corner, until his head was jerked back around to face the man.
         "Not this time, you bastard!" The man cursed under his breath as Star lunged at him again, his eyes wild.
         There was no time to get out of the way before the stallion kicked out, catching the man in the chest. He doubled over in pain, and the rope slipped past his fingers and onto the dirt.
         By this time, half of the stable hands had stopped their tasks and now were attempting to get near the crazed stallion.Amidst all the chaos, one man happened to snatch up the end of the rope. Had it been any other of the stable hands working that day, things might not have turned out the way they had.
         "Easy boy, easy Star. I won't hurt you..."
         Star glared at the man and pinned his ears, his breathing heavy as he reared up. The man spoke slowly and quietly, his voice deep and calming. Star came down with a thud as his forefeet met the sand, sending up a cloud of dust. His eyes still weary, Star watched sceptically as the man slowly shortened the distance between Star and himself.
         As the young man got closer, Star's patience began to wear down, and his eyes narrowed as the hand reached up to touch his muzzle. Not sure weather he should be scared or angered, Star shied away as the man's hand came into contact with his skin.
         It was not an act of anger, but his ears were pinned in warning not to touch him anymore.
         Before the young man could try again, a sharp voice broke the silence, startling the stallion.
         "Taylor! You quit fooling around and give that horse to someone more experienced! I'm surprised that damn thing hasn't tried to kill you yet!" A tall, stocky man came up to them, snatching the rope from Taylor's hands before he had a chance to answer.
         "Yes, sir, Justin!" he said, almost artificially, as he jumped away.
         Star's anger bristled as he stood there in the hot sun, trying to think of what his next move would be. This place was sick! The man called Justin turned to face Star, his eyes narrowed in a challenge.
         Taylor! I'll show you how it's done, tack this beast up, will you?!
© Copyright 2011 Impulsive (xxximpulsexxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742099-Star---Getting-Home