*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742119-Elemental-Kings-Ch-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1742119
The struggle to control the elements by four kings or one king.
Chapter Two
The Major

As the group of horses was leaving the house heading back to the barracks, the man leading had them stop. His breastplate of woven steel with an emblem of the black crow over a silver half moon, shined dully from the evening sky. He sat in his saddle, like he was made for the horse. He was a tall man, in his early forties, clean shaven, with black hair, slightly graying and balding and a sword strapped to his side.
“Sargent, post two pairs of men, up and down from the house.” The Major said. “If you catch them fine, but I would rather have them followed. To see who they know”
“You four men in the back, do as the Major said and if any of you fall asleep or let them escape…off with your hands.” The Sargent commanded.
“Sir, did you know about the boy having magic possibilities?” The Sargent asked, turning his attention back to the Major.
“No, nobody did,” the Major, answered, in thought. “He is good at wielding his practice sword, but
Fredrick said a real sword would give him problems, with the weight and all.”
“Speaking of Fredrick sir, do you know how long that spell will last?” The Sargent asked fretful.
“Well, being that the boy is young, who knows, just depends on how strong the magic is with him.”
The Major replied.
“If we get back and they are still frozen, then we will know he is capable of doing advanced magic.”
The Major said. “And we might be able to know… who is teaching him.” He added.
“Sir, do you think Fredrick will go looking for the boy?” He asked.
“I think his father will keep him at bay, for the time being.” He said spurring his horse on.
As the horses started back to the barracks, the evening sky was darkening. The fronts of homes were shining from lanterns put out to light the paths to their doors and cold air was descending on the district of Castleton as the light left the sky. The Major was stirring in his saddle, as if he had a burr stuck in it.
“What’s the matter Major, anything wrong?” The Sargent asked.
“Take the men back to the barracks Sargent, I have something to do.” With that he turned off down an alleyway and disappeared into the darkness.
The Major walked his horse, past a dozen or so houses, keeping quiet, to a darkened gate and secured the horse to the fence. Quiet as he could, he slowly opened the gate and walked through, to an unkempt yard. Stopping short of the back patio, he sees a flicker of light coming from the window.
“I guess he’s home.” He said to himself, with mistrust. “Just get this over with.”
Cautiously he walks up to the door and knocks. Slowly a flickering light started to fill the window up beside the door.
“Who is it?” A mans voice from the other side.
“It's Phillip!” The Major said quietly.
You could hear the sound of locks being worked. It opens and the Major passes through the door very quickly and closes. Inside the house, it’s dark, only an older looking man holding a dim lamp, standing next to the Major.
“So what brings you here?” The man said with a questioning voice.
“I need your help and the thieves’ help, to locate some people here in town.” He said.
“What people would that be? Someone who could prove that your lot, don’t belong on the throne?” The man asked looking the major up and down.
“Vuzi, if you want to see the dawn, I'd shut up, if I were you.” The Major said spitefully.
“You don't scare me Phillip and saying that in my house, I get goose bumps.” He said, sarcastically.
“Plus, you never know who is in my house; they could easily cut your throat and dump your body in the street.” He added for good measure.
“Fine.” Phillip said sharply. “Don't know, that's why I'm here, obviously”
“I just need information on the Trahern's.” He said. “Have you heard of them?” He added.
“A little, not much, quiet people keep to themselves.” He said. “So why them?” He asked, looking into the darkness of his house.
“Well, earlier today the boy called Travid, stood up for the old king and Fredrick was going to see what he meant by that. Three of them went to grab him but he froze them in their tracks and busted Fredrick's nose.” He said looking at the old man.
“Froze them in their tracks, how?” The old man asked
“Magic.” The Major said waving his hands. “How else, can one freeze three men in their tracks?”
“Oh, this is going to be good.” The old man said grinning. “I have a good idea of what it might be, but will say nothing at the moment.” He replied. “I will look into this, but double my price”
He said with a big smile.
“Double your price. Why?” The Major asked doubtfully.
“Because, if I'm right, it will keep your bunch in the castle, so it will cost you extra, to stay.” the old man said jingling the change in his pocket.
“Well, we will see what information you give first.” The Major said surely.
“Just keep this between us Vuzi.” The Major said lowering his eyes to see his.
“Why Major Phillip Patrick, I will tell no one that you haven't already told.” He said with a big grin.
“What the hell does that mean?” He said bitterly.
“Why, that means you should have asked who was here, when you walked into my house” He said still grinning.
“Well, who is here, then?” He said through clenched teeth.
“I Am.” Muffled a voice said in the dark.
“And who are you, and show yourself.” The Major demanded.
“In a room where you could die, so easily, you're going to let your ego get you killed.” The voice said with sarcastic sadness.
“Well the good news is that I don't want your blood on my clean floor.” Vuzi said laughing. “I will get back to you the usual way, now get out or my boss will kill you.”
“Your boss!” The Major said as he was pushed towards the door.
“Yes Phillip, now get out.” He said heatedly as he opened and pushed the Major out.
The Major went to his horse and road it back to the barracks. The Sargent was waiting for him as he rode in.
“Sir, did everything go well, with your visit?” Asked the Sargent
“None of your business.” He said cutting him off. “Where is the king?”
“In his chambers I think sir.” The Sargent said.
The walk to the king’s chambers gave the Major more time to think. What was he going to say to the king? What information should he know and what did he already know?
He walked into the castle; it was a lavish castle with tapestries all around, hand woven rugs, some of the finest paintings and woodworking that you could tell, came from the surrounding forest. The winding stairs, lead to the private chambers of the kings' family. The main chambers were at the very end of the hallway, the King and Queen have there own private sitting for visitors. As he approaches the king’s doors, two soldiers of the king’s personal squad guard them.
“I need to see the King.” He said to the guards.
“Yes sir, hold right here sir.” One guard said, as he knocks and enters. A minute later, the guard walks out.
“He will see you now sir” Said the guard. “But you will have to take off all weapons, Kings Orders.”
The Major took off all his weapons; he hated that order the most. He felt naked without a weapon,
Probably because he thought someone was going to cut his heart out. The doors opened and he was ushered in.
“Good evening my King.” He said bowing.
“Did you get that wretched little bastard?” The king said with contempt.
“No sir, they were gone, but I believe they were in ear shot of us.” The Major said standing at attention.
“So what do you think Phillip, the boy and his mother can do magic?” The King asked.
“Yes sir, I would say both.” The Major replied.
“My sources say Travid is above advanced in his magic abilities.” The King said looking at the Major.
“So does that mean anything?” The Major asked.
“Not sure at the moment, I have my people looking into it.” He replied.
“Have you sent for the Dark Enlightened One?” The Major asked with displeasure.
“Yes, she should be here tonight.” He said looking at the Major. “Are you still mad at her?”
“Well, she did kill my wife.” He said bitterly.
“True, but she tried to do magic, way beyond her capabilities.” He said shuddering. “And from what was left of her, she would've wanted to die.” He added looking at the Major.
“I would like to retire to my room, my King.” Said the Major hurriedly, trying to end the conversation.
“Yes, we have a lot to do, if we want to stay in power.” Said the King yawning.
The Major turned and walked to the door.
“How is Frederick's face sir?” asked the Major, turning his head to the King.
“He will live, I just hope it lessens his ego a bit. Not like his uncle.” The king said with a smile.
The Major walked out the door, gathered his weapons and marched to his chambers, just down the hall.
Turning the key and walked through slamming the door behind him.
Somewhere out of the castle, in the area called Birchwood, a couple of cold and bored guards, watch a house.
“Oh, I just love guarding a house.” a guard said.
“Well at least we aren't outside, like the other guys.” Said the second guard, looking out the window.
“True, very true, still hate it though.” The guard groaned. “It's going to be a long and boring night too.”
“The Sargent said they might be back, but we searched this house, nothing is here.” The second guard said, looking around the house.
“Well you tell the Sargent that, I'm not talking to him, can't stand him.” The guard said with distaste.
“Okay, you take the front door and I will take the back.” He added, walking to the back door.
If you were outside tonight, you might have seen Natalie Trahern, moving like a phantom, blending into the shadows, melting away into the night. The cloudy day turned into a cloudy night. Crisp and cold, with no wind, a breath could give you away. The night would have been better with some fog, to muffle the sound of boots sneaking, sneaking back to the house to get the crystals, and to retrieve the sword of LaCleavalor. Natalie moved from house to house, hiding as she went, looking around the corners of every house. Sliding up to the corner of a house she heard faint voices.
“Listen good, listen sharp.” She said concentrating.
“It has to be close to two.” Said a man whose voice was sounding cold.
“They should be here soon to relieve us.” Said a second mans voice, sounding just as cold.
“Oh I should have known that.” Said Natalie, swearing under her breadth.
“Then again, I wouldn't doubt if the grand noble Major forgot about us and went to bed.” Said the second guard laughing. “You like how the Sargent, tries to be his crony.” He added
“Major, can I wash your back sir” Said the first guard, acting like the Sargent.
The two guards were having a good laugh when the Sargent walked up to them.
“What the hell are you two doing? If those two magic throwers were coming back to this house, they could have heard you from Chartly.” Said the Sargent, yelling displeasingly.
“You two are on report, in the morning go see the Master of Arms, he will give you something to laugh at.” Scolded the Sargent. “Now get back to the barracks, before I run you through.” He added.
“Now, you two better be sharper and at your post, watching that house.” He said. “Or the master of arms will have two more.”
“Yes Sargent, we understand.” The new guard said saluting him.
Listening, as the Sargent yelled, Natalie sneaks around to the other side of the house, goes to the next house and slowly makes her way across two more houses, before she enters the woods. Walking in the woods was harder than she thought; leaves and breaking twigs were giving her away. She stops and listens. Nothing. Breathing a sigh of relief, she makes her way very slowly to the spot she was earlier, with her son. Watching the house, she doesn't see the two guards from earlier. Giving it time to watch the house for a few minutes, she sees a flicker, coming from in the house. Pulling off her small backpack, she unties it, pulling out a mirror.
“Mirror in my hand show me what the nearest can.” She said, looking into the reflection.
With light shimmering out of the mirror, and dissolving away, a dark picture was forming.
She could barely see anything, whoever was in the house, wasn't using any light. She looked for a few minutes, which seemed like an hour. Still nothing. She picked up a rock to throw it at the house.
“Hope I can reach the roof.” She said pulling back her arm and letting it fly.
Watching the rock soar through the air, and disappear into the black.
CRASH, the sound of broken glass, reached her ears. The door flung open and two guards came running out, swords drawn, looking in every direction.
“All right, we know you’re out here, you magic throwing scum. Make it easy on yourself and give up.”
Said one of the guards.
The same guard goes back into the house and brings out a lamp. As he lights it he guard tries to shine it into the woods. Slowly the guard starts to walk, holding the lamp and his sword, ready to kill.
Natalie hated using magic to hurt people, but tonight, it was necessary. Concentrating hard, she pulled unto and into her self the cold of the night. With grace and fluid motion, she moves out from the woods.
“Frigid air freeze tonight, freeze these two in my sight.” She said with all her will.
A wind blew from where Natalie was standing. Not coming from behind her, but from where she was.
The wind blew hard into the two guards faces, swinging the lamp in the guard hand. Before they knew what hit them, they stood motionless. The guard by the house was walking towards her when the frigid wind hit him; he was in mid-stride when he froze solid. He fell to the ground and one of his arms broke off. Natalie walked up to him, sorry, I hate hurting people. She stood up and walked into the house, casting a spell to reveal the basement. She goes downstairs and retrieves the crystals, with them safely in her pack, she looks for her dad’s old chest, the chest that has information that she got, sword and a map that she has never seen or the places on it.
“I guess Travid and I will discover your secrets.” She said to the map, as she put it into her pack.
Slowly she walks to a cupboard, opening it; she pulls out a large jar, full of green liquid. Opening the jar, tears slide down here check, as she douses the liquid on everything, walking up the stairs, the liquid follows her ever step, splashing as its goes. Circling the house within, she goes to the back door and continues to the woods, walking past the frozen guards, shaking her head.
“When evil comes, the good, has to step up and be accounted for, no matter what the costs.” She said as she entered the woods.
Grabbing a small branch from the ground, as she enters the woods.
She says. “Spark of fire.” With a shot of light, her branch was lightly burning.
“You were a good home, a loving home.” She said, sadly, and she tossed the burning branch on the liquid, catching quickly and burning many shades of red. Natalie turned and ran as fast as she could.
With no time to think about her house any more, she made a dash back to Nannette's. Opening the door, she turned and looked towards her family's house. A red glow came from the direction.
“No one will put out that fire.” She said to herself.
“Magic fire burns for 24 hours.” A familiar said voice from inside.
Natalie moves into the house and closes the door.
© Copyright 2011 Kciredor Nov (roderickvon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742119-Elemental-Kings-Ch-2