*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743003-jan-18--Dragon
Rated: · Draft · Other · #1743003
A dragon descends onto a village.
What the hell am I doing here? Kia thought as she sat panting on the cold hard stone outcropping of the mountain. How the hell did I allow them to talk me into this?

She slowly stuck her head over the side of the mountain and stared at the beast she had been sent to subdue. Shaking, she slowly sat herself back down on the stone. This creature had been attacking flocks for the past moon phase and they had sent her to deal with it. She was only a little wisp of a thing, hardly more than a child but because she was a misfit they didn't care if she was eaten to appease the beast's appetite.

"I know you're there." A deep voice rumbled, it shook her perch. Taking a deep breath Kia made herself stand and climb atop the boulder.

"I have been sent to ask why you want to destroy our village." She meant to be assertive, instead her voice was barely a squeak.

"Destroy your village? Those fools, have they forgotten why they raise those flocks?" The voice thundered around her but the dragon merely turned his head so one yellow eye stared at her with contempt.

Kia was frozen in place by that stare. She noticed that the glossy black scales were not really black but a deep purple that shimmered in the dying light. Storm clouds were building up on the horizon and the setting sun turned the sky a sickly yellow color. It was an omen of evil, but the dragon shimmered so beautifully that she had to doubt that he was the evil portrayed.

"Excuse me?" She finally managed to whisper.

"Ah, child, forgive my rudness. You have been sent as a sacrifice when the Elders should know that my fee for protecting your village is to have my fill of your flocks. Humans taste incredibly awful you see."

Kia could not believe her eyes, was the dragon trying to grin? Oh goddess help me, I think he means to make a joke. She attempted a weak smile.

"Well, there is worse then me to come. That is why I am here, to honor the ancient pact made between our two people. I help protect your tribe from enemies and your tribe helps feed and protect me in turn. We made this agreement centuries ago. I had thought your shaman would have passed this information to his pupil at least."

"Shaman Adale died of the sickness many moons ago. I have had no teacher, only his books from which to learn." Kia felt sick herself admitting this. No other tribe would allow a shaman apprentice to be so poorly educated. It was a sign of the Elders pride that they did not send for another shaman to train her. Well, the Elders will have much to answer for at the Missing Moon Feast in a months time. She thought with some satisfaction.

"I will teach you your craft," The dragon said spreading his wings wide in the dying light. His scales casting rainbows of color onto the rocks, "and you will learn to be the most powerful shaman this clan has ever seen. I, Roarik, declare it so."

The village below heard his thunderous roar and every village coward in fear.
© Copyright 2011 A.J. Barretts (fiana_darklord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743003-jan-18--Dragon