*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743147-Chapter-10-Hatching-Plans
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Serial · Other · #1743147
Ricardo Returns home and with Maria resolves to find Teresa
Chapter 10 Making Plans

The next three months were an agony for Ricardo. Working with the Basques offered many unique challenges, the foremost being that they were a unique ethnic group onto themselves. They had never been conquered and considered those caravans traveling through their mountains, as fair game for banditry. This meant that the trade routes over the Pyrenees required garrisons and a large security forces that were expensive to maintain…not to mention ponderous and slow…So slow in fact that the flow of goods had slowed to a trickle since the war and threatened to dry up altogether. This left Spain without a land bridge, a vital line of communication for trade with the rest of Europe.

What needed to be worked out was a reasonable tariff on the transportation of goods and services and a method established for revenue sharing between the Monarchy and the three Basque tribes, two on the Spanish and one on the French side of the border. In return the tribes had to agree to a cessation of collecting tolls and committing armed robbery.

Ricardo had to meet with them and convince everyone it was in their best interests to encourage free trade and work out the details for how the tariffs were to be collected and distributed. The benefits of such a plan should have been self-evident but there were generations of mistrust to be overcome and the method of choice for resolving differences between the tribes tended to be confrontational and violent. A framework had to be set in place and this had to wait for the annual autumn meeting. This gathering was loosely controlled by custom and precedent. Once a year they met for a festival and it was here that inter-jurisdictional issues were worked out. Fortunately Ricardo had a relationship with many of the leaders that had been established during the wars. These served him well and enabled the drafting of articles of agreement and other types of regulating procedures. To many the process moved forward with remarkable speed but to Ricardo it was a fraught with frustration and delay. Finally the work was done and he began the journey home. It was a two week job that had taken three months to complete. Maria had kept him posted on developments regarding Teresa and unfortunately there had been little to report. He was happy to return home and get the chance to put his personal life back in order.

*****

Teresa missed her period. This was a concern because her flow happened with predictable regularity. When it failed to materialize on schedule, the delay became a cause for worry. What if I’m pregnant? She thought to herself… What a humiliation…Goodness, what will everyone think….surely the worst of me…What am I to do?

As a consequence the doubt began to simmer and the anxiety was never far from her mind. She had little choice but to wait until the following month to see if it repeated itself. She tried to distract herself by keeping busy, took long walks and prayed fervently. She made all manner of promises to God, among others, swearing eternal faithfulness if only he would spare her the dreadful trial she feared lay ahead. She might as well have been exhorting the trees and stones because her efforts were for naught… there came no answer to mind, only a still and utter silence.

Then the following month came around and her period again failed to materialize and she became even more disconsolate and gave thought to all manner of sinful recourse none of which was the least bit practical or worthy of serious consideration. Two more weeks passed and then came the morning sickness…it was unmistakable and as she retched and gagged all hope that her condition was imagined, vanished. Finally physically exhausted and mentally spent she exhorted the blessed Virgin…

Forgive me dear lady, mother of our beloved Savior; I am the most unworthy of servants. From this day forth I give myself without equivocation to your service. Use me as you see fit. Without string or expectation I give you my life, and for better or worse, bind my future to God’s work and your unselfish service…amen.

As she spoke there came warmth that bubbled up from somewhere deep inside and her heart surged and a light burst upon her imagination and in her ears came a distant sound of singing. The music resonated and she experienced a joyous euphoria that sprang from her soul. It was a profound religious experience and filled her with a restored hope and confidence. Had Jesus and the Prophets walked into her cell the effect could not have been more unforgettable. At length she stood, straightened her habit and smiled radiantly to the heavens…

The Lord is my Sheppard, she thought ….and I will fear no evil. With that she went to find Sister Ramirez, and share the good news. The Secretary wasted no time telling the Reverend Mother.

****

Because of her family connections, Consuelo had decided to bring Teresa along more slowly. She was still housed in the Monastic Wing of the convent and aside from the Orientation Training had been kept separate from the younger novitiates earmarked for mendicant training. The RM had been on the verge of changing that when she got the news.

“What makes you think you’re pregnant?” she asked, getting right down to business.

“I’ve missed my period the last two months and of late I’ve been experiencing morning sickness…I can’t seem to keep anything down.”

“Convincing evidence…why didn’t you come to see me sooner? I can imagine your despair.”

“I didn’t want to believe it was happening...what am I to do?”

“Well, to begin with, take a deep breath and try smiling. You're not the first woman to have this experience and I don’t expect you’ll be the last…as for what you can do, that is another matter and the answer is… not much.”

“Will I be excommunicated?”

“Not if I have any say about it…”

“What will become of me?”

“In the in the next few months you'll need to go somewhere else. We must keep your condition from upsetting the tranquility of the Convent. You understand that we can’t have a pregnant novitiate walking around.”

“…Of course not, where will I go?”

“We have a place we send those who need some more time to reflect, before taking their final vows…it’s called the Hermitage. It’s located along the coast and is run by Mother Gomez, a member of our Order. There you will come to term and deliver the child.”

“…and after that?”

“Then you will have to decide what it is you intend to do. For some the choice is to marry the man responsible… in your case this is a problem, unless I’m being presumptuous about the father.”

“We both know who he is.”

“In other cases the Novitiate leaves the order and returns to her family and they make their own arrangements regarding the child.”

“Not a good choice…”

“Finally, there is the recourse of putting the infant up for adoption, whereupon the mother returns to the order and takes her final vows.”

“I think the last case applies best to me…As I have suffered these past months, I’ve personally rededicated my life to God and will be ready for the vows as soon as this experience is behind me.”

"Have you considered becoming a Mendicant?"

"I don't really know enough about them to make a choice."

"For now don't trouble yourself. There is six months to think about it and the Hermitage will provide an excellent opportunity for meditation and self-renewal.

“When will I be leaving?”

“…As soon as arrangements can be made.”

****

Maria resolved not to be put off any longer. It was Sunday and she set off for the Convent arriving early in the afternoon. Inside she asked to speak with Teresa and was told she was no longer in residence.

“Where has she gone?” she asked.

“That, I’m not at liberty to disclose,” the Duty Matron answered.

Seeing the blind alley into which further inquiry led and wishing not to draw further attention, she returned to the Hacienda…a plan was beginning to form in her mind and she needed to discuss it with her brother.

****

Two days later Ricardo arrived home. There was a large entourage gathered in the courtyard. He reflected on a similar gathering four months earlier and hoped that Angelina would be nowhere about. Maria raced to his arms and they embraced. “After dinner tonight, she said quietly, "we have matters to discuss.”

Stepping back she handed me an official looking envelope, embossed with the seal of the King.

A crowd of well-wishers pressed forward and it was over an hour before I could break away and go to my apartments…There all the amenities awaited the weary traveler. After bathing and changing, the dinner hour was approaching and I went downstairs into the dining room. Maria stood in a doorway. She pointed into the alcove off the kitchen where we normally ate together. We had a leisurely meal trying to relax and keep the talk away from the subject that was foremost in our minds. I opened the letter and read it aloud.

Don Ricardo,

I just finished reading the agreement you forged with the Basque Tribes and cannot begin to express my satisfaction… Isabella wants you to bring Maria for a private dinner tomorrow in honor of your return….be prepared to tell us everything about your adventures.
Well done Ricardo!
Ferdinand and Isabella.

“Brief and to the point as always…La-de-da…not just a private audience but a private dinner,” said Maria, waving her fan.

“The negotiations took longer than expected but in the end everything turned out well…I wish I could say the same for another matter.”

Maria took a deep breath….” As I related in my posts, I spoke to Teresa in the Convent and conveyed her sentiments. Yesterday I returned, determined to see her only to be told she was no longer in residence.”

“Dear God….where has she gone?”

“They wouldn’t tell me. I know how church bureaucracies work and I didn’t want to call undue attention to myself. It occurred to me that the only way we were going to get to the bottom of this is to have someone nosing about from the inside.”

“…inside?"

“I’m planning to join the Convent.”

He didn't like the idea one bit but kept his feelings guarded. “...an extreme move, just to find out where someone went…, don’t you think?”

“I have a strong feeling that there is more going on than we suspect. I intend to get to the bottom of it.”

“I’m not sure this is such a good idea…”

“Why not, it'll be an adventure," she said with a nervous laugh. "It will give me a break from the routine of designing the garden and dealing with an endless stream of boring relatives and solicitors. What could happen anyway? It’s a Convent. In any case I’ve made up my mind and set all the necessary arrangements into motion.”

“Such as…?”

“I’ve gathered the letters of referral and arranged a meeting with the Order’s Secretary.”

“I suppose you intend to walk in and announce…I’m Maria de Quintanilla, sister of the scandalous Don Ricardo, High Commissioner of the Hermandad....I want to become a Nun!"

“Now that would have them scratching their heads," she answered lightly. "Give me more credit than that...I'm way ahead of you.”

“So how do you intend to get around the celebrated family name?”

“Remember that little cottage where father and mother used to take us in the summer, as a getaway?”

“Of course.”

“Do you remember Senor Vega and his wife Nina…they had a daughter my age also named, Maria...well she ran off with her boyfriend to France where they have settled and raised a family.”

“I recall…”

“Well, I met with Senor Vega and Nina and told them I would be using their daughter's identity, for reasons I couldn’t discuss….That if anyone inquired they were to respond that their daughter had returned from France and entered the Sisterhood…that they were to spread the rumor in the village as well."

”How clever!" replied Ricardo. "There was even a resemblance between the two of you…remember how we joked that perhaps Father and Nina had a little…”

“…Ricardo!”

“Well, it never really made sense that they were given the cottage, paid a stipend and allowed to live there as “Caretakers."

“There’s no need to dwell on that… It was but a light adolescent speculation… Anyway, they’re willing to do their part and next Wednesday I go for interview.”

“Are you adamant?”

“Yes.”

“Have your way then….but be careful. If you face compromise don’t wait around. I will arrange a back door should that happen.”

She walked over and kissed her brother. "I'll keep you posted," she reassured him, "It should be fun.”

****

There was something about this scheme of Maria’s that didn’t sit well with Ricardo. The next day he sent for Benvolio. His friend had fallen out of graces with the King over the execution of a prisoner and Ricardo had been forced to relieve him of his duties. The two were as close as friends can be. Prior to the incident Ricardo had even considered introducing him to his sister. It struck him that the two were well suited but he didn’t want to meddle in the personal lives of his friends and family. Now however, he seemed the perfect choice to keep a watch on her.

Maria was off making preparations for their dinner with the King and Queen when Benvolio walked into the study. His father was a Basque Noble who had once held lands in Northern Spain. As a result of the war with Portugal his family had perished and the village burned to the ground. From Benvolio he learned the language of the Basques which they spoke exclusively when in each other’s presence.

“Thanks for coming my friend.”

“How can I be of service?” Benvolio answered, sensing something was in the air.

Ricardo took a deep breath….”I have a personal problem. Teresa, the woman I love has run off and joined the Convent and refuses to speak to me…”

“And what was your role in all this? “

“She found me in the arms of another woman. “

“I see….”

“Actually you don’t see….nor is it necessary that you do. I made a terrible mistake and lost the woman I love.”

“So how does this involve me?”

“There’s a mystery as to Teresa’s current whereabouts and my sister is joining the Convent to find out what's happened. I fear for her safety as well as Teresa’s. “

“And you want me to watch over your sister and try to locate Teresa?”

“If you can, but discreetly, ever so discreetly….Don't interfere with Maria’s efforts as she will be working from inside to discover the same thing…”

“Maria?"

“Maria…That’s my sister's name…surely I’ve mentioned it enough…”

“I know her name but it’s also quite common…”

“Well she's a strong willful young woman with a mind of her own. I've done a poor job as surrogate father, leaving her to tend for herself. On Wednesday she'll make petition to enter the Convent in Avila…The same place that Teresa disappeared.”

“It’ll not be an easy for a man to surveil a Nunnery…”

“Let Maria worry about that….I just want you close in case there’s trouble.”

“What could happen in a Convent? If she isn’t safe there then ….”

“Teresa vanished from this one under a cloud of mysterious circumstances. Until I know more I’ll not leave my sister unprotected…”

“I begin to see better…”

“Find a way to ingratiate yourself to the Nuns…seek employment as a laborer, or jack of all trades…you are very handy and you can be devious when you choose… but your most important role is to protect my sister, even if you do have the handicap of being a man.”

“I’m looking forward to the challenge,” Benvolio answered.

It was necessary that Benvolio get a good look at Maria, so they waited until she returned to the Hacienda. Eventually the coach drove up and she stepped down with her purchases. The two watched from behind a drape as she ascended the stairs and into the Great Room.
Ricardo heard the intake of his friend's breath as he noted his sister’s beauty. Her hair was long and black and flowed richly down her shoulders. She walked with the quiet grace of a feline. Pausing in front of the hall mirror, she looked to see if anyone was about and then took off her jacket…her blouse followed, revealing a lace binding and full breasts. Opening a package she took out a dark habit, holding it up to envision the way it would look. Ricardo had not intended for his friend to see Maria so unencumbered and took him firmly by the arm, backing into the shadows. “You've have seen more than I intended,” he said, “So, don't be forgetting what she looks like.”
© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743147-Chapter-10-Hatching-Plans