*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743151-A-sad-observation
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Cultural · #1743151
What was Golldilocks thinking?
Her and The Three People

Prelude- The original story of Golldilocks and the Three Bears was written and popularized in 1837 by Robert Southey.  Written during a time when black oppression was not only popular, but integrated into the daily lives of mainstream American. 

         Once upon a time—around 1855—there was a little girl who lived along the northern border of Kentucky.  One day while she was supposed to be chopping wood out in the forest for her master, she decided to finally take off.  She was forced to hide under the shelter provided by the dirty roots of a giant fallen maple tree.  Nearly a full day was spent to avoid the searching foremen, who undoubtedly would shoot her on sight.  When the searching lamp lights had finally disappeared she jolted from her mud stricken cave and headed in the direction she knew to be north.  After running for nearly two hours she slowed to a steady walk.  She walked far from the main road, but still close enough to keep track of its direction.  A smart girl her mother had taught her well, rest her soul.  By late afternoon fatigue had begun to overwhelm the poor girl.  She was mentally as well as physically being worn down by the various cuts and bruises she was receiving from the forest floor.  She needed to find shelter—real shelter—and soon.
         Just as she felt her strength could carry her no further a roof top appeared on the sun lined horizon.  She pushed herself through a patch of brambles to the top of a hill overlooking the two story farm house.  A much needed rest allowed her to survey the scene.  A horse stable to the left of the house was empty, meaning the masters who undoubtedly owned the house were gone and people around this area did not leave for any small reason.  They would be gone for awhile.  If they had not already been.  She continued down to the house with silent speed and slid through the front door. 
         In the room she entered there was a small wooden table with three pungent meals of porridge placed before her like a lush oasis in the middle of her expanding mental desert.  An animalistic instinct driven by hunger immediately possessed her and dove her into the first meal.  The food had been cooked extensively at scalding temperatures and overcooked her mout.  She did not mind, over the extreme pleasure of filling her stomach with quality food, the pain meant nothing.  After finishing the first with unwomanly quickness she continued on to the second.  The second was cold and she had begun to feel herself become full, but recent memory forced her to put it down as swiftly as the first.  The third—a smaller portion—was just right to fit the room left in her once shrunken stomach. 
         Sleep.  Sleep was the single action that now consumed her toughened although childish mind.  With relentless almost violent strides she cruised past a set of elegant, antique chairs.  The smallest one located just to her right stuck out slightly and was caught in her foot’s savage path.  It first lifted onto its two back legs and then fell to the side, shattering on impact.  Hardly caring or taking notice she went up the stairs where comfortable beds where sure to be.  She entered a large room which was essentially the second floor of the house.  There were three beds, but she only saw one.  The closest.  She collapsed on the bed as if it was heaven itself and to her it was.  It all felt...just natural…..just right.  She was taken from her terrible world by a deep sleep.
         Unfortunately she was allowed only two hours of rest before a thundering rattle of slamming wood echoed up the staircase.  Someone was home, someone big.  She laid still, eyes wide, unsure of what to do.  Rambling voices were beginning to fill the lower floor. They were speaking with the common southern accent her previous owners had also had. 
“Someone’s eaten most of my food.”  A deep grumbling voice said.  A further lighter voice followed.
“Someone’s eaten most of my food.”
“Someone’s eaten ALL of my food!”  Cried a chillingly concerned child.
         She had to do something and do it fast.  Jumping to her feet with adrenaline fueled quickness she searched the room for anything that could aid her in her current plight.  There was nothing she, especially as a child, could use as a weapon, but there was one window.  A circular window at the far end of the rectangular room beckoned to her.  It was small but she new she could fit. 
“Someone’s been messing with my chair.”  The deep voice was closer.
“Someone’s been messing with my chair.”
“Someone’s been messing with my chair and they messed it up.”  The child’s voice held a slightly accusatory quality.
The window was open.  Not opened to the darkening sky and cool autumn air, but not locked.  She stood on the tips of her toes to make it level with her head and began to push.  The glass creaked slightly and moved an inch or two, then became stuck.  She was suddenly afraid of it breaking from her force, but refused to stop her effort. There was the sound of shuffling coming up the staircase.  The window was her only chance.
“Someone’s been sleeping in my bed.”  The voices came from behind her now.
“Someone has been sleeping in your bed.”  Another agreed. 
How had they not spotted her yet?
“Someone did, and they’re still here!”  Said a squealing child.
The window burst into movement for a few seconds and then jerked still in mid-ascension.  Those seconds were all that she needed.  A two foot wide crescent of open space was laid out in front of her and she wasted no time.  She dropped her trembling legs through the opening while both of her hands grasped the window seal, not daring to look at the people bearing down on her.  She landed with a thud that resonated through her knees.  The drop was no more than ten feet, but at 4’ 3” she felt the painful repercussions.  Her palms hit the ground causing a flat slapping sound.  Her hand, now imprinted with dirt and grass, almost instantly pushed back as she moved her body forward.  North.  It seemed like the most holy of all words to her now.  North was her only option and she had to keep moving.


© Copyright 2011 briancw (briancw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743151-A-sad-observation