*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743415-What-Happened
Rated: 18+ · Poetry · Cultural · #1743415
The Butterfly...landing on a thought after reading..."Letters of a Slave Girl"
What happened???



I don’t have memories of my friends and family being burned on a stake.
I don’t have memories of men standing in my front yard wearing white sheets or capes.
I don’t have memories of not being able to vote.
I don’t have memories of walking miles for change and on pure hope.
I don’t have memories of being treated worst than a family’s dog.
I don’t have memories of derogatory and degrading words like “N***r” referring to me being called.
I don’t have memories of picking cotton with my soft hands;
And hard calluses forming from deep cuts like glass does from sand.
I don’t have memories of being lashed and whipped because I read and write.
I don’t have memories of bloody bare feet escaping slavery in the middle of the night.
I don’t have memories of being on public display;
Naked, mocked, and cold in the winter- for me…the highest bidder pays
I don’t have memories of my female purity fruit being stolen from me;
Never laid in a bed sweating and panting, anticipating the sound of a turning key.
I don’t have memories of an owner called “Master” and whom I do not love;
Proudly saying, “Gal, It’s a slave girl’s honor!”; “On your knees!” while giving me a forceful push and shove.
I don’t have memories like these stored away from my own personal experiences.
I don’t have memories like these gained by the usefulness of my five senses.
I don’t have memories.......... but a present day nightmare of a history that seems to be forgotten.
How can you forget the strength of a people and nation; which came by strange ships on which some rotten?
I am living in a present day nightmare of Bling, Booty, the ideology of  “It’s All About Me”,
And the materialist views of ... “I Got Them.” …………What happened???
© Copyright 2011 TheButterfly (thebutterfly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743415-What-Happened