*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743722-Dealing-with-Mild-Dyslexia
by Mini
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Experience · #1743722
A short autobiography of how my life is affected by mild dyslexia.
This probably will be a work in progress for a long time. I'm not very good at efficiently writing my thoughts down on paper.


First grade. That's where all my problems started because that is when school started academically.
The first weeks we had placement tests. I failed the reading, and spelling tests but aced the listening test. Consequentially I was placed in the red group, the group containing the worst readers in the class. I soon made many friends with the other students in the same reading group as me.

On the other hand I was very gifted at math. I always found the story problems during our daily ADDs very difficult because of my dyslexia. I quickly learned to look for key words and the numbers; skip the rest, the fluff as some of my math teachers called it. I was happy with myself; I took a stressor in my life and minimized it.

I do remember going to the specialist to get help. It was a dark room, because a projector was on. The specialist had these clear letter blocks on the projector spelling out words. She had us read the words many times and sound them out. That's all I remember.

My mom also helped in my early school years. She would read with me for 15 minutes every night, no matter if I wanted to or not. (And believe me, I hated it) As a young child I didn't get the point of this practice, it seemed like torture. But now I see it has helped me get to where I am today, able to read my textbooks and understand them, not to mention the various works I have to read for English.

By the time I reached third grade my reading had improved to grade level. Reading was more fun now, I remember reading the Little House on the Prairie books and enjoying them; attempting the Artemis Fowl books and hating them. (I reread them in 5th grade and loved them. Amazing what two years can do)

My wish:

Treat me as you would a normal writer. That's my wish, all I want to be is normal.
© Copyright 2011 Mini (phone99999 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1743722-Dealing-with-Mild-Dyslexia