*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744247-January-Writing-Challenge
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1744247
Amanda is finally going home to everything that she loves, including Nick.
         She was finally going home, escaping the bitterly cold winter and mountains of snow that she hated.  Amanda Winston, Mandy to those she loved, looked out the tiny window of her father’s plane and took one last look at Vancouver, British Columbia.  She had only planned to be there for a few weeks, yet the job had taken nearly six months to complete.  If she never saw another snowflake, she would be happy.  Mandy despised the snow and anything even remotely associated with it.  Having spent nearly all her twenty-four years basking in the tropical hot sun of the Cayman Islands, Vancouver had been her personal frozen hell. 

Shivering in the plush leather seat, she hugged her cashmere jacket closer to her chest and closed her eyes.  She would think of home, everything and everyone that was awaiting her.  A huge smile formed on her face as the images began to fill her mind.  White sandy beaches, crystal clear waves lapping against the dock as the sun bathed her in the warm afternoon.  Nick waving to her as he sailing by on his schooner, his lean hard body covered in sweat and salty seawater as he manned the ropes of the mass.

“Mmm,” she sighed out and felt her body begin to thaw out.

Nicholas Sanders could warm any girl up with just one look.  Mandy had grown up next door to his mother and step-father so every time Nick came down for his summer visits, they would spend time together.  For the last fifteen years she prayed for summer to come, because that meant she would spend hours with him.  Yet she had missed him this summer and her chance to act on her feelings for him.  Mandy wanted more than just the friendship they had formed over the years and she had finally made the decision to go after what she wanted.  Nick.

Changing out of her designer jeans and turtleneck sweater, Mandy anxiously waited for the plane to land.  Stepping out to a warm sunny afternoon, she let the gently breeze ruffle her long silky chestnut hair before hurrying down the steps to the waiting limo.  Poppy, she smiled when her father stepped out and opened his arms to greet her. 

“I’m so happy to be home,” she laughed as he twirled her around twice before setting her back on her sandal clad feet.  “I’m never leaving the island again.”

“Never, Mandy?” he gave her a half smile and laughed out when she said it again, shaking her head.  “Good, because than I do not have to say goodbye to my only daughter again.”

As they waited for her bags to be loaded, Mandy asked her father what she had missed since leaving in May.  Even though they had talked several times a week while she was working on her commissioned sculpture, Mandy loved listening to her father’s deep soothing voice.  Giving her a brief run-down of the island gossip on the way to the house, she tucked her arm through his and sat against his side.  Hanging on his every work as he replayed what had happened, Mandy didn’t notice the limo stopping in front of her father’s home.

“Nearly forgot,” her father smiled down at her before kissing her forehead, than pointed to the house.  “Someone is here waiting for you.”

Mandy looked out the window towards the house and her heart skipped several beat.  Nick! She couldn’t believe it.  He was here, waiting for her.  What was he still doing on the island?  He never spent his winters on the island, he preferred spending the holidays skiing and snowboarding in Utah.  Excitement ripped through her veins as her father opened the door and she scrambled out behind him.  Nearly tripping over her own feet, she sprinted up the steps and threw herself into Nick’s waiting arms.

“Oh my God,” she gasped out, her arms wrapped around his neck, burying her face against his neck.  “What are you still doing here?”

“I didn’t get my Mandy fix this summer, so I stuck around until you came home.” Nick laughed as he looked down at her smiling face before he hugged her again.  “I couldn’t leave without see you.”

  She was speechless.  To have him here, waiting for her was her biggest wish come true.  Holding onto him for a moment longer, she inhaled the scent of his cologne and him.  He always smelled like the surf, the salty fragrant of the ocean she loved so much and his own musky scent.  The mixture was nearly intoxicating.  She lingered longer than she should have and he called out her name before putting her at arms length.

“You ok?” He looked down into her face with concern in his silvery gray eyes.

She nodded as she took a deep breath to get her body under control.  She had waiting for so long.  Hoping, praying that she would get her chance to show him everything that she felt for him.  And now that she had that chance she was afraid he would reject her.  Fear left her speechless for a moment, but the look in his eye helped her to find her voice. 

“I’m just so happy that you’re here.” she smiled at him before asking, “how long are you staying on the island?”

“Depends,” he returned her smile but then looked over her shoulder, “we’ll talk later.  Your father has the evening planned for your returned so I won’t intrude on your time together.”  He reach up and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.  “Call me tomorrow at the villa and we’ll talk.”

“You’re welcome to stay, Nicholas.” she heard her father’s voice behind her.

“Thank you, but no.  You both take tonight.  Mandy and I have all day tomorrow to catch up.”

He left soon after, leaving Mandy and her father to have the huge dinner that Poppy planned for her homecoming.  She enjoyed the evening despite her desire for Nick.  Since she knew he was less than a mile away, her thoughts drifted to him after the meal and her father commented that he should let her get some sleep.  She didn’t hesitate.  Kissing her father’s cheek, she headed up the huge winding stairs that led to her suite of rooms on the west side of the house.  Growing up in the enormous island fortress that overlooked the ocean from three sides, Mandy wanted for nothing.  Her father spoiled her, still spoiled her at the age of twenty-four and looking around her rooms once again after being gone for more than six months, Mandy’s thoughts turned to Nick.

She wanted to be a permanent part of his life.  If she took a change and went after her dream, this luxury would be in the pass.  The comfort of living in her father’s house, servants at her beck and call to do her bidding yet did she really want that any more.  Recalling her stay in Vancouver, she realized that she liked living in the smaller house she rented.  She had tried her hand at cooking for herself for the first time and even though she wasn’t very good at it, she still felt a sense of pride that she had done it for herself, not relied on others for her daily needs.

It wasn’t that she didn’t have money of her own, her sculpting had really taken off the last two years and this last commission would allow her to expand her career and savings account.  Mandy had made several contact in the last few months and her agent wanted to have a show to display her work, yet the show would take her back into the States and Canada and she didn’t know if she was ready for that yet.

Letting out a huge sigh, Mandy plopped down on her huge canopy bed, letting her mind wonder.  Would she be able to give up the island, her home for long periods of time to pursue her sculpting full time?  She didn’t know.  What she did know was that before she could make that decision she needed to talk to Nick.

Glancing at the clock on her nightstand, she noticed that it was only a little after nine.  Reaching for her purse and keys, she hurried out of her rooms and down to her car.  It was still early Nick would be awake.  She would be surprise if he weren’t.  It was a short drive, just on the other side of her father’s property so when she pulled into the drive a nervous smile crossed her face when she saw the light coming from the back veranda.  Turning off her little convertible she ventured around the side of Nick’s summer home that was nestled on the outer edge of his mother’s property.

Mandy stopped when she saw him and just watched as he continued to swim laps in the large pool that backed off his veranda.  She could sit and watch him for hours, his long lean powerful body cutting through the water as he tucked and pushed off for another lap.  After a few minutes of just admiring him, she slowly walked over to the edge of the pool and crouched down, wrapping her arms around her knees as she waited for him to make the return trip.

When his head cleared the water, she smile over at him, then laughed when he jerked to a stop, cleared the water out of his face and looked at her again.

“Mandy?” he questions as he closed the distance between them, “what are you doing here?”

“I couldn’t sleep,” she lied but it didn’t matter. 

Just knowing that he was here on the island was enough to pull at her.  Mandy didn’t know when she made her decision but she had.  All she knew was Nick was who she wanted had always wanted and she was determined to follow her heart.

“What is it Mandy?” he asked as he leaned his arms on the edge of the pool in front of her, just looked at her when she didn’t continue.  “What’s on your mind that won’t allow you to sleep?”

“You,” she blurted out before she could stop herself.  Cursing herself, she stood up, turning away from him to try and collect her thoughts enough to face him again.

Hearing the water splash when he pulled himself out of the water, Mandy still didn’t turn back to him.

“Mandy,” he whispered as he touched her shoulder.

She felt his touch through her entire body, an electric current that sent her mind and body reeling, yet only a glimpse of what it could be like between them.  Closing her eyes so she could savor these feeling she didn’t realize he had moved to stand in front of her until he touched her cheek.

“Look at me Mandy,” he stated as his finger caressed her face.  He tilted her chin up before added.  “Talk to me.”

“I need to talk to you,” she took a deep breath and tried to look down but he didn’t allow her to look away from his eyes.  “Nick, I…” she couldn’t get the words out, her feeling were so close to the surface they were nearly choking her.

“Tell me what you’re thinking Mandy,” Nick closed the distance between them, yet he continued to only touch her face.

Her eyes met his again and she saw something new that made her heart skipped several beats.  Could it be desire?  Could he possible feel those same feelings for her?  They stood there just looking into each other’s eyes, his silvery gray eyes watching her as she tried to get up enough nerve to tell him how she felt.

“I need you to tell me.” She took a shaky breath, “Tell me if you have ever…” Mandy still couldn’t say the words.  Her body hummed with anticipation and yet she couldn’t put those emotions into words. Calling herself a coward for not being able to voice her desire, she wanted to scream out her frustration.

“Have I what, Mandy?” he asked as his fingers moved along her jaw and threaded into her hair.

Closing her eyes again, she leaned into his caress and her courage slowly returned.  She desired his touch more than her next breath and the feel of his hand in her hair, massaging her scalp sent a coursing heat straight to her core and she moaned out her desire.

“Kiss me Nick,” she closed the short distance between them, reaching up to brace her hand on his wet naked chest before she added,  “I want you to kiss me.”

“Are you ready for that Mandy?” he looked down into her face when she molded her body against his.  “Are you ready for us?”

“Yes,” she breathed out as she trailed her hand along his collarbone.  “I want you Nick.”

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for you to say that,” he smiled down at her before his lips covered hers.

He kissed her then, a long slow kiss that stole her breath and she didn’t care.  Gripping onto his shoulders she let him take her over, consuming her senses, as she was content to just here in his arms.  She could feel the moisture of his trucks pressing into her lower body, the feel of his arousal against the juncture of her thighs and she moved against him.

“God, Mandy!” He finally pulled back to look down at her yet he didn’t release her.  “Be sure this is what you want.”  He framed her face again as he watched the emotion play across her face.  “I need you to be sure.”

“Nick,” she reached up and threaded her fingers through his wet hair.  “I love you, I’ve always wanted you.”

“I have waited so long to hear those words.”  He smiled down at her again before he covered her lips again.  “Waited so long for you to be ready.”  Nipping at her bottom lip as he pulled her up against his body, “To have you in my arms.”

“Nick,” she gave a surprised laugh when he twirled her around.

“I have been in love with you for nearly my entire live,”

“What?”

“I came back to the island this summer for you.”  He tugged her over toward one of the loungers.  Pulling her down into his lap and cradling her against his chest.  “I didn’t want to wait any longer.  I’ve missed you so much this past year that I was not going to leave until you figured it out or sent me away.”

Mandy closed her eyes as she listen to Nick tell her his plans this past summer.  To spend his entire summer here on the island, waiting for her.

“I want you in my life, Mandy.”  He shifted her so that he could look into her eyes.  “Need you to be a part of my life.”

“Oh, Nick,” she felt the tears pool in her eyes, “I want that too.” She leaned up and kissed him, knowing that she didn’t need to keep them hidden any longer.  “Make love to me Nick,” she whispered against his lips when the kiss ended.

“There is nothing in the world that I want more,”  He picked her up and carried her into the villa, to his bed where he loved her the entire night.

As Mandy lay in his arms the next morning, she closed out the world around them so that nothing mattered but the two of them finally being together.  They would figure out what came next, how they would take two different lives and make them into one.  Whether it was here on the island or back in the States, Mandy didn’t care as long as Nick was with her.  All she needed, they needed was each other, the rest would be an adventure.











Word count 2685
© Copyright 2011 Ann Masters (master_ann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744247-January-Writing-Challenge