*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744692-Hard-Luck-Woman-Spike-SpeigelEd
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1744692
this is a cowboy bebop fanfic. I do not own cowboy bebop or any of its characters.
“Edwaaard!!!” the shout rang through the bebop as Faye stalked out into the common room angrily clad in nothing but a towel, her once purple hair blue. “Hmm? Oh Faye Faye! I like your hair.” the only other female on the bebop responded grinning innocently.

Ed’s P.O.V.
         “Hello Mr. Fishy.” I said surfing through the web on my one and only Tomato. Jet had asked me earlier to find information on some small bounty head, I had already given him what I found and decided to poke around some files about the people he used to work with. It was mostly just local gangs and some mercenaries here and there but as I climbed the chain of command it got harder and harder to hack. I just grinned in anticipation and got past barrier after barrier. I had just gotten past what seemed like the last one but the information only lit the screen of a split second before I was shut out, the words I had barely processed burning my mind and not for the first time I was thankful tomato couldn’t be tracked. If I was sure about anything, it was that I never wanted to be associated with the Red Dragon Crime Syndicate ever again.

         “Edwaaard!!” I heard Faye scream furiously scaring me out of cyberspace and out of my thoughts. I turned around, my goggles around my neck, “Hmm? Oh Faye-Faye! I like your hair!” I had used my best innocent voice as I saw her stalk in wearing just her towel. Her hair was blue now instead of purple, and I actually did like it. “Ed you little she-demon LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO MY BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!” I almost winced and the volume and pitch of her voice, Jet and Spike actually did. “But I didn‘t do anything Faye-person. Ed was here the entire time.” I had grown out of addressing myself in the 3rd person on my 16th birthday but threw it in to annoy her further, letting her know it was me. “You made my hair blue!” she yelled again. I smirked, “No I didn‘t Faye-Faye. The hair dye wasn‘t in your shampoo bottle, it was in my unmarked one, It‘s not my fault you used the wrong thing.” Ok so it wasn’t exactly in my normal shampoo bottle, it was in one I had gotten that looked slightly like hers and in all fairness I knew she saw the difference but as I thought she had  caught a wiff of it and couldn’t resist. She looked even more pissed, “Bu-I-you! Ughhh!!” she stormed out knowing I was right and it was her own mistake that led to her blue hair.

         As soon as I heard her door slam I broke out in laughter as did spike. I laid on my back looking over at the two boys, well,  men. Jet didn’t look all that amused since she was likely to be more pissy and moody for the next few days but Spike…Spike looked like he could have laughed for days. He was the whole reason I pulled this prank and I was glad he enjoyed it. For the last week or so he’d been sorta upset or maybe even depressed and whenever I’d ask he’d brush it off, brush ME off and it hurt, but now that he was smiling again everything was good in my world. He lit another cigarette, letting it hang from his grinning mouth and glanced over at me. I just grinned back half childishly, half relieved. “Nice one Ed, I always have to wonder where you come up with this stuff, seriously.” That was new, Spike usually waited till Jet left the room to congratulate me, not that I minded.

         A beep came from Tomato drawing my attention, ‘Was that a security beep?’ I threw my goggles back on diving head first into cyberspace scared it was the syndicate trying to track me. I opened the window, and the old chess player’s face filled the screen. Suddenly I felt ridiculous and paranoid. “Oh. Hi Mr. Chess guy! Faye is in a mood so can I play with you tomorrow instead?” he responded with a slow yes and the screen went black again. “Ed? Hey Ed?” once more I was dragged out of cyberspace as my attention was diverted elsewhere. The goggles were pulled down off my eyes and I saw Spike’s face upside down in front of me. “Huh? Spi-person is suddenly Spiderman?” I asked jokingly. “Who? Eh Never mind but is there any additional information you have on this Wong Loo guy?”

         “Nothing helpful. And Spiderman was a really old comic back on Earth.” Sometimes I forgot they didn’t know the same type of things I did. They knew more about the ways of the world and how to work this angle or that to get what they wanted. They knew more practical things while I knew how to get almost any information they would need and how to control electronics through hacking. “This guy shouldn’t be too hard, do you want to come along for experience?” ‘Whoa backup. Did he just ask me if I wanted to go? I’ve been asking for the past year and I finally have my chance! There’s no way I’m going  to say no!’ “Of course I’ll come!” I grabbed Tomato balancing him on my head and headed to the hanger with jet and Spike. It seemed Faye would not be joining us this time.

         Jet got in his Hammerhead and took off while Spike and I headed to the Swordfish II. Spike got in first and offered me a hand up. I took it and he hauled me up and into his lap. Only then did I notice that the swordfish only had one seat. The top closed over us as we got settled and Spike reached around me to grab the gears, his head on my shoulder to see. “Hold on tight Ed.” he warned, and with that we were off, following Jet to the far side of Mars.

         We touched down some time later close to the slums. “Ok The place out bounty head will be is a bar not too far from here, Jet is still in the air as backup in case he runs. I want you to make a scene when we get there to make sure his guards are distracted while I grab Wong. Make sure it’s a big distraction but nothing suspicious to alert them, I don’t want any guns drawn but mine while you’re here.” I listened carefully and nodded when he was done, I knew this wasn’t the time to fool around but I couldn’t help the joking words that slipped out, “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were worried Spi-person.” He glanced over to me and stomped out his cigarette as we got to the entrance of the bar, “I am.” Then we were in, no time for comments. Spike took a seat in a booth 2 behind our guy and I stumbled ‘drunkenly’ up to the front.

         I walked straight up to the bar and climbed up on it before slapping the bartender right across the cheek. “You BASTARD!!” I shouted drawing peoples attention even more then the echoing sound of a slap did. “I cant believe you cheated on me with that! That hussy!!” From the corner of my eye I saw Wong Loo whisper something to his bodyguard and the hired muscle made his way over. “How could you-” I stole a glance at his ID. “Benny! I thought you loved me! Did all those nights mean nothing to you? Was I just entertainment!? Was that it??” Spike quietly dragged Wong out and I ended it quickly. “That’s it we’re over, don’t bother calling me.” after that I turned and walked out with my head bowed.

         I met Spike back at the ship where he had Wong tied up. “Nice improv. I’d reeealy hate to get on your bad side. With that slap and the pranks you could pull you’d make life hell for anyone on your bad list.” I grinned my normal cheery grin and we walked our bounty head to the station. “Ok 200,000 split between the two of us since Jet wasn’t needed. Watch out meat here I come!” I knew Spikes money would go fast on food and smokes. I only needed it for the latter so mine will probably lat longer, also taking into account the fact that I don’t smoke as much as him. Really they didn’t know I smoked at all, Jet would kill me. Once back in the safely of the Bebop we crashed into our usual positions. Spike on the yellow couch, Jet taking care of his bonsais, Faye on the stairs moaning about her luck and Ein and I on Tomato.

         I was backing up my programs and information so I could terminate the computer in a hurry. A precaution I found necessary now that the Red Dragon was back in my mind. The whole thing was giving me a headache and I decided it was time for a smoke. I faked a yawn and turned off Tomato, “Night Spike-spike! Let’s go to bed Ein.” I went off in the direction off my room before going to the hangar and pulling out a cigarette and lighter. I know I’m only 19but with the job we have on the Bebop I consider it a necessary evil. I was about half done with the cancer stick and feeling much better than I had before when a voice whispered a ‘Boo!’ in my ear, I nearly chocked in surprise. I turned to see Spike, not even bothering to try to hide the cigarette since I knew he’d already seen. 

         He sat next to me casually, “Dunhill huh?” he asked not seeming mad or bothered. “Uh, yea. Luck strikes?” I asked back referring to his. “Yea.” we sat in silence for a while just smoking and relaxing. “Those will kill you you know?” he commented once more. It made me laugh, just a bit. “Your one to talk, plus we’ll all die sooner or later why not enjoy life while it lasts? At least I’ll be able to but them legally in a few weeks.(pretend smoking age is 20 ok?)” He looked a little surprised at my answer, probably not expecting me to say something like that, but I’m not the old innocent Ed not by a long shot. Sure I still acted childishly but that was just for fun mostly. I guess it’s just time to show them that

         “Well, I’m going to bed for real this time. Goodnight Spike..-person.” I knew he knew the last part was deliberate and he smirked. “You sure you’re not going off drinking this time?” he joked. “Heh nah. I’ll invite you next time I do though.” I kept my tone semi-serious to keep him guessing if I meant it or not. Satisfied that he was fine with knowing I wasn’t a kid anymore I went to my room and crashed. 


         The smell of Jet’s ‘pepper and beef’ woke me the next day at noon. I made my way to the kitchen to see Spike and Faye weren’t there waiting impatiently for the food. “Morning Papa-Jet Where are Faye-Faye and Spike-person?” I asked. “Oh Ed good morning. They went off to get another bounty head. This guys worth 500k and they’re in a...competition of sorts to see who can get him first.” I just nodded sleepily and sat down on a bar stool. He gave me a plate full of peppers and got his own before sitting down with me and chowing down.


         Having already finished backing up Tomato and not having anything to do I laid down on the couch like spike usually does, smelling his scent on the fabric, and fell back asleep. “That guy was so mine!” a feminine voice rang out. “Apparently not since I got him first, and I have the bounty.” a male voice taunted. ‘Hm Spike and Faye seem to be back.’ I noted and rolled on my side trying to fall back asleep. “Yea yea.” Faye said and left, or it seemed to me she did. The couch cushion sank down as, I was guessing, Spike sat down at the end. “Spot stealer.” he commented with a chuckle. For fun, and knowing I wasn’t going to be able to fall back asleep with Spike there, I rolled off the couch lifelessly then wormed my way over to Tomato. I heard Spike laugh then lay down. With one last yawn I sat up and once more launched myself into cyberspace to play the old chess master.


         Hours passed as I immersed myself in the game so as not to lose. Finally somewhere near 6pm he beat me. “Aww you win again chess-person! Lets play again soon though I bet I’ll beat you next time!” he chuckled and disconnected so I followed suit, finally noticing it was very quiet. I got up wandering to the coffee table which had a note on it.

                             Hey,
                                       Went out for another bounty and some supplies be
                                       Back around 8.
                                                           -Jet, Spike, Faye

         Shrugging in boredom I laid back down on the couch and lit up another one of my beloved Dunhill’s. I realized then how very like Spike I was being and had to shake my head at the thought. ‘Yupp I woke up, ate, did some work then sat back and had a smoke on the couch. I guess they weren’t kidding when they said you tend to emulate those close to you, or was it those you admire? Oh well either works I guess.’ “Hmm. You know I’m surprised you haven’t been caught till last night. How long have you smoked?” Spike’s voice startled me and I sat up to put out my cigarette, assuming the others were home as well. Spike apparently saw this, “Don’t worry, I came back early cause I was bored, the other will be a while yet.” he reassured. “Ok thanks. I’ve been smoking since I was 17 I think.” I replied and sat up making room for him.


         He shook his head, “Wow I guess we really are that oblivious. 2 years and you never got caught, nice.” It was silent again for a while after that, Spike wasn’t really the talkative type and I supposed I wasn’t much either anymore. “Did you guys get the bounty head?” I inquired, “Yea he was an easy catch. He was only 100k though. I can’t wait for a bigger bounty.” This got me thinking, “You know I might me able to help with that.” I finished my cig and dragged Tomato over. “Ok so a bounty for at least one mil near Mars.” I mumbled to myself diving into the ever expanding cyberspace. It took only 10 minutes to get a hit. “Ta Da! Wesley Higgs, drug dealer, wanted for distribution of illegal substances, rape, murder…” I read more on him, searching for any connections to the syndicate, there were none.

         “Ok this guy shouldn’t be too hard to get. He’ll probably have about ten guards with him where ever he is. He’s got a snake tat running up his arm and a star on his neck. Here’s a picture.” I tilted my Tomato more towards him showing him the man who looked like every other dealer out there. “So you want to go after him?” I asked wondering how quick he’d bring in the million. “Hell yea. There’s no way I’m passing this up.” he turned his head away from the computer and towards me. Suddenly I realized how close we really were, his shoulder was brushing mine and out faces could only be a half a foot apart. I had to say that’s the closest we’ve been in while and with the blush fighting it’s way onto my cheeks I began to wonder If there was a reason for that. 


         “Hey Spike, Ed, we’re back!” Jet called carrying in a few grocery bags. “So that’s what Jet-person meant by supplies.” I commented with another grin. “Yea. Hey Ed you want to help me make dinner?” he asked. I blinked in surprised, “Sure.” I followed him into the kitchen where we put everything away except for the hamburger meat, tomatoes, lettuce, and buns. I got out a cutting board and began cutting the vegetables while Jet started cooking the Ground meat. When I was done I put it each thing on its own plate and got out 4 dinner plates. Thinking about it I grabbed the potato chips down too and left Jet to his cooking.


         “It should be ready soon guys.” I announced once I was back in the common room. Faye looked at me weird. “what?” I asked her wondering if there was something on my face. “You acting so….normal and calm.” she responded quite confused. I laughed, “Yea Faye, a fairy came and bit me on the ass last night. Now I’m magically a nearly full grown woman. Scary.” I told her sarcastically. She looked mildly annoyed now, “Well I knew you were getting older but you never really acted it till now.” she pointed out. ‘True I always just messed around and acted completely childishly. When did that change?’ “I guess no matter who you are you have to act your age eventually. Not that I will all the time but I’m tired of acting childish for now.” This seemed to shock her but she didn’t question further since Jet chose then to appear with the food.


         We all ate and headed out own ways, Jet to his room, Spike to the training room, and Faye to the casinos. After a while of deliberating I made my way to Jet’s room and knocked. “Yea?” he asked, “I’m going out for a while Jet-person. I’ll be back later.” I got no response so I just shrugged and headed out. I wondered around town stopping at a electronic shop to look around and the convenience store for some more cigs. Somehow I found myself at a casino and decided to go in. I never really was a slots person so I headed for the blackjack table. It was just the dealer, she was pretty funny and soon enough we were joking like old pals. “You know Ed, we’re looking for a new dealer if you’re interested.” she offered and pulled out a paper from behind the counter. It was an application form for employment at the casino.

         “Hm. I’ll think about it and now prepare to looks Claudia.” I flipped my cards showing an ace, and two fives. She shook her head, “Come on you’d be great! Please! It’s really fun.” she gave me the worst/best puppy eyes I’d ever seen and couldn’t refuse. “Fine, I’ll apply but no promises, my friends like to move around a lot so I’m not sure how long I could work here.” I told her. She lent across the table and hugged me, “Alright I should get going, I’ll see you tomorrow.” With that I began walking away, “Ok bye Ed!” It was nearly 11 by the time I got back to the Bebop and I was ready for bed. After one more cigarette of course. I sat in my usual smoking spot, the hangar and just lie there lazily, the wonderful cancer stick dangling precariously from my lips.


         This time I heard the door as Spike walked in, “Hey again. So where’d you disappear to?” He sat next to me and pulled out another of his lucky strikes. He flicked the lighter but I only sparked, he repeated this a few times before just leaning over and pressing the tip of his cigarette to mine. The heat rushed to my face again and I was lucky he was so focused on lighting his cigarette or who knows what he’d say. “You know I would’ve just lent you my lighter.” I commented airily. “Yea but it’s faster this way, and you never answered my question.” Nearly forgetting what his earlier question was I giggled, “Just out, eventually I wound up at the casino and was begged to apply.” He raised an eyebrow in interest, “By who?” He laid down next to me, not too close but not that far away. “Claudia. She works at the blackjack table I was playing at.”


         It occurred to me Spike and I never really talked like this up until recently, he never asked questions when ever I disappeared either. “Hey Spike?” I asked out of nowhere, “Why’d you choose Jeet Kune Do?” I could see him turn his head towards me in the corner of my eye. “I guess, cause It’s all instinct, it feels so much more natural than any other form of fighting I’ve ever tried. Why do you ask?” I thought on whether to tell him or not, finally I decided on most of the truth. Leaving something out doesn’t count as lying. “I wanted to learn how to fight. Nothing special, just enough to defend myself if the situation calls for it.” He seemed to be thinking about something, “Hmm, if you just want to learn some basic self-defense I could probably teach you.” he offered.

         I sat up quickly in shock, “Seriously? You’d teach me?” I asked with stars in my eyes. “Yea but I’m not the most patient person so I doubt I’ll be a very good teacher.” he commented lightly. “Thank-you! Thank-you! Thank-you!” I leaned down and hugged him tightly for a second and pulled away with my usual grin. “You won’t regret it Sensei!” I promised, knowing full well he’d know that sensei means teacher. “I better not, now get some sleep, we start early tomorrow.” he ordered. I hopped up and offered him a hand, which he took. We walked to the common room and parted ways, “Night Spike!” He just waved and kept walking. As my head hit the pillow I fell into a light sleep.

                   “Edward! The Van want to se you, do not keep them waiting!” Lin informed me with a glare as I surfed the cyber web on one of the syndicates computers. They had recruited me 2 years ago for information and to cover their tracks and the like. Despite my young age I was the best hacker they had. “OOOHH! What do the Vannys want?” I asked and hopped up, running around him. He backhanded me, “They are the VAN treat them with respect. It doesn’t matter what they want you will go no matter what and do NOT disgrace us by acting up in their presence!” I walked with my head down the whole way there, silently.

                   The dream skipped through most of the meeting with the van until the end. “But I don’t want to hurt anyone! When you recruited me you said-” “Silence!” Shin roared backhanding me once more and bowing to the Van. “I apologize for her disobedience I will get her on it right away.” with that he dragged me out with the Van’s approval. He lead me to a dark room, “I told you to keep quiet girl!  You disobeyed my order and now you’ll be punished!” He began beating and whipping me till I couldn’t stand anymore. “that will teach you, you insolent brat. Now do what the Van have ordered!”


         I woke with a start and swore I could still feel the sting of the whip on my back. I glanced at my clock over the piles of electronics in my room, 5:00 it read cruelly. ‘Well Spike did say to get up early.’ I got dressed and went out to the common room for a desperately needed smoke. To my surprise Spike was there already awake and sitting there in nothing but sweats, his usual workout outfit. He gave me a questioning look, “Couldn’t sleep.” I answered the unasked question, he seemed to accept it well enough not to press. We sat there nearly 20 minutes just smoking before he decided we should start training. He lead me to his normal training room and told me to take what I thought would be a good fighting stance.


         I stood with my legs spread about 2 feet apart and bent my legs a bit, raising my arms into fists in front of me. “Pretty good but don’t bent you knees so much and raise you fists a bit higher.” I did just as he said and found the position much more natural feeling. He stood directly in front of me about 2 and a half feet away. “Now give me your best right handed punch.” I hesitated, I knew I couldn’t actually hit him, but still. I nodded after a moment and drew my fist back quickly before launching it forward quickly. It felt weak even to me, when it made impact with him palm. “Come on Ed I know you can do a heel of a lot better than that. You don’t stand perfectly in place when you punch someone, put you body behind it.” I pulled my fist back and swung at him again, moving my top half forward and shifting my stance as I did. It felt much more powerful.


         “That’s what I’m talking about, now with your left.” I repeated it with my left though it was less powerful, something he told me I’d have to work on. He also taught me another punch where I started with my hand in a fist, knuckles down by my side and extended to where it was palm down when my arm was straight. With that he sent me to a punching back to do each 30 times with each hand while he did his own training. I only had 5 normal right handed punches left and Spike was also finishing up when Jet popped his head in and announced that breakfast was ready. He saw me at the punching bag and blinked in confusion. “Ed what are you doing here?” he asked. Dutifully I finished my punches, getting a nod of approval from Spike before telling him.



         “Ok well, like I said, breakfast.” with that he withdrew his head and the sound of his footsteps echoed through the hall. “So how did I do?” I asked wanting to know if he was willing to keep training me. “Good enough to get another lesson.” he replied and slung a towel around his shoulders before walking out, me close behind. I went to my room to change into non-sweaty clothes, nothing special just some old faded jeans and a cute summer blouse I had gotten from Faye last year. My stomach decided for me that a shower could wait till after breakfast. I exited my room just to barely avoid Faye running me over in the hall. “Geez I didn’t know I had to look both ways before crossing into the HALL Faye. Where are you off to in such a hurry?” all I got was a glance from the drooling girl and a muttered, ‘food’ then she was gone. I just shook my head, and continued on to the kitchen at a much more normal morning pace then my fellow female shipmate.

© Copyright 2011 Betsuni (betsuni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744692-Hard-Luck-Woman-Spike-SpeigelEd