*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744996-Betony-Ch-2
Rated: E · Chapter · Teen · #1744996
Betony continued...
Chapter 2









It turned out the 'Betony' book was in a language i didnt understand and certainly didn’t recognize. "Betony, what about that one?" Ann whispered, smiling. Ann and I were at the mall today, Sunday, the day before the first day of school. And we were rating guys. 1-10, that is. I checked out the guy. He was awkwardly short with stubble on his chin. His eyes were gray and hair was light brown. He wouldn’t have looked fat if he was taller, but...he wasn’t.

"Five." I whispered back and Ann giggled at our game.

We were all sitting at a table in the middle of the mall’s food court. Ann and I picked at a few French fries (while playing the rating game), the boys dug into dollar hotdogs and cheeseburgers except for Woad who was looking at a family a few tables away.

“Woad.” I put my hand on his in a very non-romantic way, more comforting. “Do you want to go to Auntie’s. I wouldn’t mind driving you back.”

Woad tore his eyes from the family; I thought I saw some tears in them. “Nah, I’m fine.”

“You know, there is a back-to-school dance on Friday. I’m gonna have to show you which guys are okay, and which aren’t.” Ann changed the topic.

“Yeah, every year, she turns down about ten guys and ends up having to ask a desperate one at the last minute, ‘cause she was picky.” Jack piped in. “And trust me, if no one asks you, I will happily break the heart of any poor girl I’m going with to escort you.”

Ann scoffed “As if any girl would go with you in the first place.” I smiled at the banter back and forth.

“Me? No, you wouldn’t even be able to get anyone here,” Jack gestured around the food court and stores, “to go with you to that dance.

“Please. I could get anyone of them.” Ann replied.

Jack directed to me. “Pick.” He said simply.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Pick the best-looking guy-besides me- for Ann to ask out, It’s not that different from that guy-rape game you guys always play.”

“Guy-Rate.” I corrected him hastily. I didn’t want him thinking Ann and I went around raping guys. I searched the available space in the mall for a cute guy. My eyes landed on a super-hot guy in the corner next to a window.

I got more than I bargained for. He was lean and well-muscled. I noticed his dark green eyes and blondish brown hair. “Him. The guy in the corner.” I pointed the guy who looked about our age.

“Omigod!” Ann breathed and Jack and Blake chuckled. Woad was confused as I was. “That’s Carter Mortensen. Omigod, I can’t believe he’s here! He’s, like, totally, unavailable. No one even talks to him.” Ann ducked her head. “And only the hottest guy in school.” Now it was my turn to laugh.

“C’mon, you told Jack anyone.” Taunted Blake. Jack was smug.

Ann must’ve mustered up her courage because then she got up and breathed “Alright…” Ann straightened her pink skirt and started over to Carter. I was so surprised and decided to move closer to her so I could hear her. “One sec, guys. I wanna hear this.”

“So do I.” said Jack. And we left Woad and Blake with five plates of food. We crouched behind some fake bush near them.

“Hi, I’m Ann.” Ann greeted Carter. So, she knew him-but not personally? “I was wonderi-“

“You know, where I come from ‘Ann’ means poop.” I swear, if I wasn’t there to pinch Jack, he would’ve blown our cover and cracked up. I, myself, had to bite my tongue.

I imagined Ann flushing then gaining her courage. “And where I come from, it means hot and available-especially for the back-to-school dance this week.” The end of her voice sort of lost the courage that she put in at first.

“Omigosh…” I whispered through my smile. “I can’t believe this…”

I could hear the smile in Carter’s voice. “I actually have a date. I’m picking her up after first soccer practice to go.” I actually wasn’t that surprised, a guy as hot as him was bound to have a girlfriend.

“Oh. Uhhhh, I knew that, and I have a date too, really, I was just joking!” Ann started hysterically laughing. I could only imagine Carter’s face. Oh. My. Gosh. I felt so embarrassed on Ann’s behalf. That was when I decided I’d pop in.

“Betony, get back-“ Jack hissed.

“Shhhh!” I hissed back.

I popped up casually as to say no I did not just come from behind those bushes. I ran my fingers though some of my hair. “Oh! Ann, I didn’t see you!” I said a bit louder than needed.

“Hi!” With my being her wing woman, she seemed to be less disheveled.

When Ann didn’t say anything, I introduced myself, stuck out my hand to Carter. “I’m Betony. Ann is my cousin, and I just moved in with her because…well…”

Ann butt in. “Just ‘cause.” She finished, and I thanked her with my eyes. My parents dying in a car crash for their anniversary was a story, I did not want to get into.

Carter shook my hand. “Hi Betony.” And it seemed, as like Ann and I we shared some secret within our language. I took my hand back.

“Well, we better be go-“ Started Ann, grabbing my arm, apparently embarrassed about this whole situation.

“Are you coming to school tomorrow?” I was caught off surprise by Carter’s question.

“Uhh, yup. I am. Actually.” I answered, now, equally as awkward as Ann. He was just so cute!

“Cool.” He said then. Wow, I didn’t see it coming but now we were all standing there awkward.

And that was when Jack popped out of the bush. And, yes, all of us, actually saw him pop out of the bush.

“Did you just come from behind that bush-?” Carter asked incredously. I stood frozen, mouth agape.

“Betony,” Jack cut off Carter and came from behind me and kissed my cheek. “Darling, you need to come now. 50% those snake skins you wanted…” Jack tugged on my arm, but I stood frozen like a deer in headlights. Ann’s eyes were wide too, just staring.

“Uhhhh…” I started, and Carter asked. “Are you two dating?”

And before I could say no more, Jack answers: “Yes now, come on.” He pulled my arm with force, then grabbed Ann too. “You too, Ann.”

When we finally got back to our table, I didn’t dare look back at Carter. “Your girlfriend?!” I flushed angrily.

I remembered Woad, Ann, and Blake then, because they were all cracking up, I guessed Ann told them what happened. Woad said between bursts of laughs, “Well, Betony, There goes any chances of having a good reputation at school.” I groaned.

© Copyright 2011 Mrs.Somerhalder (bazabite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744996-Betony-Ch-2