*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746158-September-A-Love-Story-That-Last-Pt-2
by pd2345
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1746158
In 1930, Mary & William knew they'd found, they didn't know love had found them.
  September, 1923. San Diego, California

Chapter 2

         The dark blue Ford Model T pulled up to the edge of the road and came to a stop. Twelve year old William Elliott peeked out the front window by lifting the curtain and then shut it quickly in case he was seen. It was Sunday morning and due to dads new commitment to go to church from now on, William was eagerly awaiting the car that would drive them. He hadn’t actually met the family that owned the car but he had seen the man who drove it once. “He seemed nice.” William thought both nervous about confirming his suspicions about the family and excited about going to church. Meeting nice people would be important. Especially since they had just moved to San Diego only three weeks earlier. Oceanside to be exact. The parts that William had seen were beautiful. The growing downtown area was surrounded by a inviting beach. William had eyed the nearby pier on countless occasions. He wasn’t even sure if he was allowed to fish, but he wanted nothing more than to get out there and try until someone stopped him.
         The beach and the fish would have to wait, at least for a few hours because he was dressed for church today.  He looked down at his outfit. He hadn’t dressed up in awhile. His short black trousers held up by braces were bunched up right above his knees. From there, the tall white socks stretched down to his feet which sported black canvas shoes.  The attire was topped of with a white peaked cloth cap. He adjusted his hat that he had knocked sideways when peering out the window.
         The horn sounded again from the curb. His dad came around the corner, mom close behind. “Come on dear.” His mom reached out a hand to guide him out the door. “Yes ma’am” William took the offer. The guiding his mom was supposed to be doing turned into pulling as they hurried to make their way to the awaiting car. “Hello Mr. Elliott” the man in the car said as he opened the back door. “Hello!” Williams dad responded exchanging hand shakes. His mom squeezed into the back and slid to the far side, next William hopped in followed by his dad.
         The lady in the front seat turned around and welcomed them. William adjusting his seat belt noticed the little girl directly in front of him. Her brown hair was up tight in pigtails. “Aren’t you going to say ‘hello’?” The lady inquired of the little girl. “Hello” the mousy voice squeaked without turning around. She seemed to be doing or reading something. William sat back as the car pulled off and they made their way to the church house. 
         The car slowed as they arrived. William leaned forward and looked out the window. The tall steeple of the church was casting a shadow onto their location. He followed the iron fence that enclosed the building to a gate that was open allowing people to walk through. The car stopped and the doors opened. He went out the side of his mother and held his hand over his eyes to shield the sun. The man and woman got out, as well as the girl with the pigtails. “Dorothy!” the girl with pig tails yelled and took off running. William watched her for a second then looked back towards the lady, her mom. “Mary!” she yelled “Stop running! You’re going to fall!”  “Mary.” William whispered. He didn’t know why he said it. He never even saw her face. He finished whispering the name and realized he was smiling.

    July, 1929. San Diego, California


         William drove the hammer hard onto the submitted nail. It sunk into the wood with a thud. The blistering sun was relentless during the peak of summer. He wiped away at his forehead, smearing the sweat and dirt across it and into his light brown hair. William was tall and rugged. His white shirt clung to his body, identifying muscles as it did. The sun left her shadow on him long after she had set. His hands, rough and calloused from the years of working out doors. The texture of his fingers was nearly leather. His warm blue eyes invited you in but a sharp tongue often negated the same invite. Longer than most young men’s hair, parted just at the side, covered his squarish head.
         Construction was a way of life for him now. His dad had worked in construction and the many trips to help dad had paid off. Every young boy needed to learn a skill and this one was a natural for William. With the last nail sunk into the frame of the home he was helping build, he sat back and rested against a supporting wall. He reached for his drink but noticed it was on the bottom floor. The ladder just out of reach. Usually dad would be the one to slide the ladder over or even bring the refreshment to his thirsty mouth. Dad was gone now.
         Six years earlier, just a block from where William was working, his dad fell from the roof of a tall building and lost his life. William noticed himself revisiting that time, shook his head, and reached out for the ladder. He pulled it too him with his fingertips and climbed down. He took a drink and let the cold beverage cool his insides and exhaled. He looked directly across the property he was on and saw the old church. It wasn’t old in number of years it had been up, but it was old because he hadn’t and wouldn’t be going back to it. He had limited his visit to one Sunday morning six years ago. One week before his dad took that fatal fall. He rolled his eyes at the steeple and finished off the drink.
         How could a good God take a good dad from a good family? He often fought the question in his mind. His conclusion was there couldn’t be a God or at least not a good God. Shortly after his dad died he was forced to drop out of school. This wasn’t completely uncommon as working and earning money often meant more than an education but his anger resided in the fact that it was never a choice. His mom began working as a teacher and he did what he could, picking fruit from big farms, running as a newsboy, anything that would bring in a dollar. He finally went back to construction, partly because it paid the most and partly because he loved doing it. As far as he was concerned dad was just at a different job site. Still building. Still dad.
         He pulled out the square package and let a cigarette fall in his palm. He lit it and inhaled. Gazed towards the church again and rolled his eyes once more. The day was growing late. His friends had been asking to hang out with him for quite awhile. “All you do is work!” the complaint from the still enrolled buddies echoed. He agreed with their accusation. However, tonight he decided he would go out. No solid plans, that he knew of. Talk of seeing a picture show at the local theater house was a front runner.

         After a quick shower and change, William picked up his two friends. They drove downtown and pulled up to the Aztec Theater. A new film entitled “The Iron Mask” was showing. With the car parked the three headed towards the front of the building. Rounding the corner William stopped in his steps. His companions unaware, continued there pursuit of the entrance. William took one more step and looked closely at the girl standing near the front door. He whispered, “Mary?” He hadn’t seen her since…since the ride to church. “Was it really her?” He took one more step. “Mary.” He finished whispering her name once more and realized he was smiling.
© Copyright 2011 pd2345 (pd2345 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1746158-September-A-Love-Story-That-Last-Pt-2