*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747468-September-A-Love-Story-That-Last-Pt-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by pd2345
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1747468
In 1930, William & Mary found love. However, they didn't know love had found them!
    January, 1930. San Diego, California

         William boxed the last few items from the nearly empty home and walked out the front door. He had said goodbye to many people in his short life. This was one of the rare times he would be saying goodbye to a location. The home he had been raised in had become too much to afford as his mom became more ill. His construction job had been erased by the Great Depression. Most likely he would’ve quit either way to care for his mother.  The great depression and the great white plague were slowly erasing the rest of William’s existence.

         He hadn’t talked to Mary in weeks. He saw her from time to time. His eyes always lingered a little longer at her than she did at him.  Their conversations now limited to quick smiles and eye brow expressions. His heart hurt all over again every time he saw her. Each occasion that their paths crossed he felt the heartache of their last conversation. Moments later, long after she had left, he would find himself back in the house where he gave himself to her.

         The boarding house he and his mom were moving too was more like a building. The home was three stories high. White paneling decorated the outside. A large porch held the entry to the first floor. Above it, another balcony extended out off the second floor. The second floor is where William would be staying. His mom was still being kept in the nearby hospital, although those days were numbered as money was no longer coming in. Even then William wasn’t sure which would end first, the hospital stay or his mom’s life.

         Two weeks earlier the doctors had decided to collapse one of her lungs. She had been isolated to her own ward and still took daily trips outside to get fresh air. Every time William saw her, he wondered if this would be the last time. He had just been to visit her earlier in the day. His wonder would be confirmed as he pushed the last box into the back of his car.

         William adjusted the button up shirt at the neck. His hair was slicked back neatly. He hadn’t ever worn his hair like this but it seemed to match the pin stripe suit he would be wearing. He hadn’t shed any tears since the day his mom passed away. He didn’t plan on shedding any today during the funeral. He disconnected all emotions and wore a blank face.

         He turned to reach for the matching suit coat and saw his moms Bible on top of a stack of books he had brought from the old house. He wasn’t sure why but he walked over, picked it up and sat on the bed. His hands trembled with unknown reason and he turned open the front cover. Etched onto the blank page was a prayer list that his mom had begun to write. He flipped the first few blank pages of the Bible and glimpsed over countless entries of requests.

         As he turned towards the final pages his eyes focused on a few of the last submissions. In feeble cursive William read the third from last prayer request.

“Please let William believe in you again.”

         He took his hand and gently traced the letters with his index finger. He read it again. His eyes began to weep as he closed the book shut and turned off the bed onto his knees. He humbly looked up towards the ceiling. He searched it for a window to heaven but found none. He wanted to talk to God but how could he when he didn’t even believe God was there.

“God?” His voice incomplete and weak said.

“Help me?” He didn’t demand it but asked.

“Show me something? Help me?” He repeated and then buried his face onto the bed.

         As William pulled up to the familiar but unvisited building he felt his chest tighten. He had prayed to God this morning, but he wasn’t sure if was already prepared to visit his house. The church still had the iron fence around it. The steeple still cast a shadow onto his location. The only thing different was the girl in the pig tails wasn’t in the same car with him.

         People dressed in black surrounded the coffin which was buried under an assortment of floral arrangements. Somber faces plastered to each person. William only knew a few of the people personally that stood idly around the box that held his mother. Most the people were just someone who wanted to pay respect. William was okay with this. Something inside of him was changing. Something ironically good was happening during one of the saddest days of his life. He was down to no one. Left alone, literally, to go on with life.

         He bent over and pressed his hand on top of the casket once more and whispered, “I love you. I’ll see you.” A tear did manage to escape but he didn’t mind. He sighed hard and stood back up. Adjusting his jacket, he began to turn around and walk out the front of the church. His eyes followed the isle that split the two sides of the pews and found the doorway. The silhouette of a young woman centered the bright light that was coming from the outside. As he took a few more steps, the shadow matched his pace and moved towards him.

Mary stood in front of him. Her face filled with pain and sadness. She tilted her head as she watched him smile at her.

“Hello.” he said to her still smiling.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Are you okay?” Mary took another step and wiped at her eyes with the black gloves that covered her hand.

         William didn’t respond with words but opened his arms and took her in. He squeezed her tight and swayed from side to side. Mary slowly wrapped her arms around him and pulled him in tighter by his shoulders.

“I missed you.” She tried to say her words muffled from the hug.

William finally pulled away and took her face in his hands.

“You’re my sign.” he said.

Mary turned her face awkwardly and tried to understand the accusation.

“I’m what?” she smiled nervously.

    March, 1930. San Diego California

         Mary stood by the front door of her home and waited anxiously. She picked at the side of her skirt with both hands. She began to pace back and forth in the door way and stopped every time she heard an approaching car. The last several weeks had her and William beginning to talk again. She hadn’t forced the issue and neither had he. Her dad hadn’t budged on his decision to keep them apart, despite her countless attempts to convince him otherwise. “Will you just meet him at least?” Mary had proposed the question at the finale of every debate to try and sway him. Last night he finally agreed. Finally agreed to meet him.

The sound of an engine stopped Mary’s pace once more. She smiled as she recognized William. She walked out quickly to the car and greeted him.

“You ready?” she said wiping away some lint off his shoulder.

William sighed and cleared his throat.

“You’re ready.” Mary took him by the hand as they walked towards the house.

PD
© Copyright 2011 pd2345 (pd2345 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747468-September-A-Love-Story-That-Last-Pt-5