*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747567-Serene-Thrill
Rated: E · Other · Nature · #1747567
A vivid description of the Canadian Rockies.
An exhilarating rush, a euphoric high, a blast of electric adrenaline. It’s the fingers that shiver with joy, or the toes that curl in anticipation, or the mind that races with palpable excitement. What is it? Thrill. But contrary to popular belief, thrill does not touch ground only in the tremors of nervous fear, the surge of sudden movement, or the focused energy of a spur of action. It can spring from mellow groundwork. It can arise from serene images. It can shoot up from gentle thoughts. Thrill, that lunge of the mind into freedom, alertness, and speed, that drug of the mind sparking agility and energy unmatched, does not need a source of equal energy. From a beautiful painting can rise up a fascination that nudges the mind off the cliff of complacent thoughts. From the glimmering eyes of a loved one can sprout a passion that drags the mind into a woozy delirium of happiness. The power of thrill is not found in the source, but in the interpreter, the mind, that which is outfitted with experiences, emotions, hopes, and dreams. And rare is the mind that will not leap for joy when presented with the wondrous awe of the Canadian Rockies.

Stationed in the wilderness of Alberta, Canada, the mountains of Banff National Park leave visitors at a loss for words. In no better place can they be admired than from the peak of Sulphur Mountain, conveniently accessible by the means of the Banff Gondola. Here, a lookout awaits all observers of nature’s beautiful art show. As soon as one steps out the door of the Gondola station, one is met with a glorious display of might and infinite space. The faraway mountains that form the horizon are bleached by an enormous separation from their admirers, their pastel blues and greys untarnished and dreamlike.

Even as viewers gaze upon these interspersed teeth tearing into a remote sky, their eyes are beckoned to admire their immediate alpine neighbors. The utter magnitude of these stone masses envelopes the heart with a reverent stupor. Knife-sharp peaks slice the endless dome of blue above, the sky's sapphire ink bleeding into wispy mists that hover above lonely mountain lakes. And speckling the blankets of mist are pins of green: pines, furs, and spruces poking their heads through their guardian shrouds.

But elsewhere, the fog has dissipated, and every face of the looming mountains sparkles in a shower of sunlight. Colors abound -- sand, aluminum, tan, chocolate, almond, hazel, graphite -- so uninspiring in everyday crayons and markers, yet so glorious in this vast and immeasurable ocean of crisp and cool Rocky Mountain air. And what an ocean of air! Refreshing and eternal, it is graced with calming quietude and saturated with winsome sunshine. The golden sunbeams splash at every crag and dribble over every slick mountainous slope. Between these mountains lie the forested valleys. Millions of evergreens stand shoulder to shoulder, proud and defiant, ready to weather the harsh vagaries of nature. Their deep greens scream with intensity, palpably rich, their beauty aggressive, arresting.

Surpassing still the barrage of visual delight is the subdued yet lofty aura of divine bliss. Take a few steps from the mongering hordes of tourists, and the soul is nourished with the sweet music of nature’s silence. Look around: miles, miles of desolate wilderness, void of human activity, of stress, of the mundane. Above is a sky glowing with blues delectable and pure, so removed from the world’s troubles, yet still vivacious and untamed. It is a ceiling no shout can reach and no scream can touch, an infinite well of adventure and beauty. And listen to the emptiness, the meditative power of quietness. The mind is uncluttered, unbridled, left free to gallop through the rolling hills of peace and joy. The only discernable sounds are the occasional calls of hawks as they ride celestial currents of wind, and the ambient buzz of forest activity: the faint creak of a branch, the the hum of busy insects, leaves rustling in a barely perceptible breeze.

The soul is invigorated by moments so rare, so precious, so overwhelming. These are the moments to cherish, to revisit in the monotony of everyday life, to excitedly retell around the dinner table, to relive in the quiet of night.
© Copyright 2011 Ponderer (andurilukr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747567-Serene-Thrill