*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748062-Apocalyptic-Beginning-Ch-4
Rated: 18+ · Non-fiction · Fantasy · #1748062
More of the journey after the apocalypse.
         Rob was convinced that the second day would be better, but it wasn't. While walking down the street they saw a group of cars looking like they had been pushed together in a circle and upon approach they started to smell a horrible smell and instantly Rob recognized it from the daycare where he had found the woman having his son for an afternoon snack. The car circle was home to about a dozen dead bodies.
" Guess they thought there was safety in numbers. Come on guys let's go." With two more days till Albany he wasn't ready for any delays like this and just wanted to go. Besides the car circle the rest of the day was just dreary and cold.
         That night they found a cozy little house in a town that none of them knew or cared to know the name of. Rob put his pack on the ground next to his bed and got on it closed his eyes and went to sleep. The next morning he grabbed his pack and went to the kitchen to look for more food. When he got there he saw that Jake was already there. " Hey." Jake said.
" Hey man. How are you?"
" I was just thinking about what we have seen the past few days."
" Really. And?"
" Well remember the first day where all of them were just walking around."
" Yeah."
" Then towards the end of the day they were still fighting each other but seemed to kind of march together."
" Well they just wanted to kill us right."
" Maybe, but those ones that jumped us from the woods, while they weren't to smart or fast, just thinking about the fact that they could use cover and ambush us is scary. They must be getting smarter." Rob nodded his head and thought that he was right. He thought that it was just like Jake to think these things through.
" Maybe they are, but I don't plan on finding out if they are smart. How about you?"
" No I guess not."
" Good. Let's not talk about this in front of Sharon though ok. I don't want to scare her."
         " Alright. Agreed." After about another hour Sharon walked in dressed and ready to go. They left about fifteen minutes later and walked towards Albany. This was day three and by the time that the reached another city it was late afternoon. They saw a bunch of zombies walking down the street so they ducked inside the house to the left. When they reached their house they went to the other side of the road." They can't get in can they?" Rob asked of nobody in particular. They started tearing down the door and wall. They broke the door off of it's hinges and smashed the windows and broke a hole in the wall then walked in. Rob heard gunfire and screaming and yelling then more gun fire then the yell of someone whose time has come.After a few minutes of this a few zombies walked out then the rest did dragging bodies of dead people behind them and one of the bodies had a gun tied to his wrist. They waited then left the house not wanting to wait for there neighbors to come back for dessert. They traveled well into the night and got very close to Albany. They didn't stop until they saw a hotel and they decided it was less likely to be found in there.
         The next morning they decided that push come to shove they would reach Albany by around five or six o'clock. As they left Rob pulled out his .44 and held it the rest of the way. As it approached five o'clock they were amazed as they saw what had to be the first town or city that was still mostly intact since the first day. They got to a wall that had soldiers from the military manning it and they were greeted not quite so kindly but they were let in after a few minutes. When they walked in there was a man who greeted them more nicely. " Hello people. I would like to welcome you to the new Albany. We have water and food to last for years and we have four walls around the city square. That was the outside wall then we have two mid walls and an inner wall. That wall is the front one and this front side is the only side with a gate to the outside. All the other sides have gates starting at the most outside middle wall. The front wall is fifteen feet high same as the sides and the back is twenty feet high. The walls have ports for guns to shoot from and they have areas on top for people to stand and shoot from. All-in-all this place is very well protected. Any questions?"
" Yes. Are you expecting war?" Rob asked
" I always say expect war but hope for nothing. My name is General Cunningham by the way. You can sleep anywhere that is not taken." Just then a young soldier ran up.
" General sir. We have a problem the men that went out for supplies this morning have just come back. Three are dead and one injured six are left sir. They are reporting large groups of the infected closer than usual to the sqaure sir."
" Thank you soldier you may return to your post. Well I must go make an announcement."
© Copyright 2011 terminator (raptorjesus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748062-Apocalyptic-Beginning-Ch-4