*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748757-The-Day-the-Sun-Stole-My-Crayons
Rated: E · Short Story · Personal · #1748757
Find out what happens when a little girl is distracted and leaves her crayons in the sun.
We were new to the neighborhood, and I hadn't had the chance to make any friends yet. Out of sheer boredom and not wanting to be indoors, I decided to take my new tin of crayons outside to draw on the sidewalk.

On the first square I drew a giant house that me and my family could live in. In the yard I drew trees and shrubs; The kind we could climb or hide behind when we played hide and go seek or kick the can. I even drew a fence around the house because I wanted a puppy more than anything. When I finished I was very pleased and moved on to the next square.

I was now a gardener of the most beautiful flowers imaginable! I drew blue daises and pink roses. Orange Mums and bright yellow Marigolds. I filled in between the flowers with deep green vines and leaves. I was having such a great time in my garden that I ran out of room! I had to move on.

On the next piece of sidewalk I was a brave Lion Tamer in a 3 Ring Circus. I was so fearless that I put my entire head in one of their mouths. I made them dance on their hind legs in circles as I rode around the ring on one of their backs.

I jumped from the back of the lion and into the ocean to swim with the dolphins in my next walkway adventure. What fun to splash about and play with those glorious creatures! They swam right beside me, until I heard my mom calling me inside for lunch.

I adored my peanut butter and jelly so much, that I forgot all about my crayons sitting out on the sidewalk. The sun was very hot that day and the crayons weren't fairing well in the metal tin they came in. They had started to melt together, blending into a kaleidoscope of color, while I sat on the floor watching an episode of The Great Space Coaster.

After the mid-afternoon distraction, I returned to my art studio on the sidewalk only to discover that the sun had stolen my crayons! The once lovely sticks of wondrous color had turned into blobs of icky, gooey mess. I was devastated.

I sat on the sidewalk crying, looking at the waxy river the sun had created for what seemed like an eternity. When I finally started to wipe the tears out of my eyes, I noticed a shadow in front of me. I looked up to see a girl just about my age standing there, and she was holding a box of crayons.

Together she and I colored the walkway with every adventure we could think of. Scene after scene stretching from one end of my house to the other end of hers. What a day this turned out to be. The day the sun stole my crayons, the day I made my first friend.
© Copyright 2011 Mo Lovelly (molovelly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1748757-The-Day-the-Sun-Stole-My-Crayons