*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749088-A-Simple-Cup-of-Tea
by Lell
Rated: E · Prose · Personal · #1749088
Daily challenges
I was diagnosed with JRA at the age of nine. Rheumatoid Arthritis is an inflammatory disease that causes pain, swelling, stiffness, fatigue, and depression. It’s a cycle of ebb and flow or remission and flare. Currently, I am in flare and have been for several months. I have constant daily pain. Writing this is challenging but rewarding at the same time because it allows me to voice my experience.

Most people don’t realize how much effort is involved in making a simple cup of tea. The first task is to bring the kettle to the sink and put water into it; enough for tea, but not so much that I can’t lift it. While the water boils I have to reach into the cupboard to get a mug, provided my arms can reach high enough and have strength enough to hold it. Then in another cupboard is the box of tea. I open the box and take out one teabag, if my fingers are nimble enough, and place that in the mug. Pour the boiling water carefully. Sweeten with a little sugar though I prefer honey, but honey is too difficult to squeeze out of the container. Now I let it cool. It’s too risky to drink until it is almost cold, my hands may not hold the cup firmly enough to avoid spilling it and scalding myself.

Today’s tea is organic mango; it’s like a cup of sunshine and I could sure use a little sunshine.
© Copyright 2011 Lell (iciblueeyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749088-A-Simple-Cup-of-Tea