*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749452-Whispered-and-Taken
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1749452
If the tree had a child.
              Her blue swollen lips began to pulse as the cold around her began to pierce her skin once more.  Drawing in a new painful breath, her ears throbbed with the sound of the water rushing around her.  She could feel the dress she wore clinging to her weakened body as she lay in the lake.  A flash of the forest echoed in her mind startling her; her big brown eyes shooting open. 
         The tree felt her awaken, it's children keeping her shaded from the bright sun that shone intensely that day.  It's life force began to pump itself towards the female humans body, inviting her to have the strength to come near.
         Vines swirled above her as she felt a surge of energy.  They reached down for her helping her to her bruised feet, though she felt no pain.  Licking her lips she looked around at the beautiful forest around her.  Closing her eyes the red irritation from the water stung around them as they trees bowed backwards allowing the heat from the sun to radiate over her pale icy blue skin.
         “Yes my child, wake yourself to the glories.  Come closer and you shall warm.”  The trees sounded as if they were whispering to her begging her to go somewhere.  Looking around she could hear the wind, the sweet soundless of it all calmed her as she found herself walking through the trees.  Keeping her breathing short and careful she looked out to a vast green field of grass.  It gave the illusion of a curve as the sun seemed as if was trying to peek it's warm head from behind a vast tree.  As she looked upon this tree she kept moving forward, tears began to form in the corners of her eyes. 
         “Mother,” she let out a sob falling to her knees. “Mother, forgive me...”  Placing a hand on the trunk of the large tree.  This was her tree of life, where she was born and given her first breath.  The green leaves and large branches above her, was where it had rocked her at night and whispered songs of a world for her.  Leaning her head against the trunk along side her hand she closed her eyes letting the tears drop. 
         “My child, please waste not the tears you shed.”  A branch bowed down to her sending another wave of calm through her, as her body relaxed to the ground.  She laid in a fetal position, her eyes and body feeling groggy. 
         “But, you must remember child.  Remember what happened to you.”  The girl closed her eyes fast as she was shot back into a vision.  Suddenly there were several black figures like shadows chasing her in her favorite ruby red dress.  Her feet were hitting every rock on the path in the forest near the lake.  Each pain shot through her body, her mouth opened for a silent scream as her head pulled backwards.  A figure had her, then several were around her.  They pulled her to the tree of her mother, the grass was dark and looked like mud as the moon shone where the sun should be.  Her eyes welled up with tears as she shook in the coldness, the figures spoke something out loud, as if they were cursing the tree.
         “We take your only daughter that holds a true form, a whore in an angel's disguise you have sent us! So to you tree of all! We take what you haven taken from us and you shall feel our weeping as we leave her to your own elements to waste.  Just as you have to our sons that touch her filthy skin!”  The girl let out a scream in her vision, the sound of it making her ears feel as if they were to explode.  The figures dragged her from her mother, her hands reaching for her as the tree stayed quite unmoving even by the wind that flew through the forest in front of the meadow. 
         The figures dragged her to the lake, her body scrapping across the rocks laying low below the surface of the rippling water.  The splashing from the figures gathering around her making the surface of the lake pinned with holes.  With no words, no pity or mercy to her each of the figures held her under.  Her eyes stared up into the sky, the pain crawling through her body, though as fast as it was violently pushed through her body it disappeared.  A branch crawled under her holding her like a child.  She could feel the love, override the pain.  Her mother was there.  She let herself go onto the other world.
Waking up with a sudden jolt the girl looking to her mother.  The sun shone hot on her skin, the heat causing her to become a little pink. 
         “I remember mother.”  She looked at her mother in shame as the tree let it's branches sway in the soft breeze before it stood still as petrified wood.
         “You never failed my child.  They tried to take what was not theirs.  Now..” The tree looked as though it had grown a few feet higher up towards the beautiful blue sky.  “Now child, you must know what to do.  What they deserve for you to do.”  She nodded standing slowly, her dress slightly dried and wrinkled on her.
         “Yes Mother.”  Her brown eyes shone golden with glints of blood in them as she turned from the tree walking to the village with a arsenal of forest creatures at her back.  Leaving the tree of everything standing there still and waiting; waiting for it's child to take back what is mothers.
© Copyright 2011 Sammie Mae (sammiemae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749452-Whispered-and-Taken