*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750056-Ben--Audrey-Contest-Entry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #1750056
300 word Flash Fiction Entry from prompt.
The trudge up Broadway was dismal in the predawn hours.  It was dark and the air still held the damp chill of the night.  Ben walked slowly, his steps heavy and measured.  He carried the memory of last night’s huge argument with Audrey. 



The disagreement had started simply.  She was adding more expenses to their wedding plans. He objected.  The fight ensued.  Invectives, load voices, hurtful words were hurled between them for hours. They had only stopped due to exhaustion with nothing resolved. 



Because his work began at 5 AM he had only slept two or three restless hours. He was exhausted. His first thoughts this morning were chilling.  “Did I just see the future?  What will she be like after we are married?”



He headed up the last long block to the store. The questions, hurt and anger were alive in him.  He loved Audrey more than any man had loved a woman, he thought.  Or did he?  He had always given her whatever she wanted; his time, his ear, his money.  He was always available to tend to her smallest need.  He thought that he had the workings of this love thing all figured out.  After all his effort, she had no problem belittling him and everything  he stood for or had done for her.  He was so confused. He wasn’t so sure that they could ever makeup. 



He reached the store.  As he was placing the key in the lock his cell phone rang.  It was Audrey.  Should he answer, was he was ready to talk to her at all?  He answered.  Immediately her small sleepy voice said “I ‘m sorry. I love you, Ben.  I’m so sorry.”  He could feel the tears build in his eyes as he said “I’m sorry, I love you too, Audrey.”



Word Count 300

© Copyright 2011 Virgil Lassiter (greg2668 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1750056-Ben--Audrey-Contest-Entry