*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752555-time-to-say-goodbye
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #1752555
A moment in time
Time to say goodbye
It began in the morning, the war from the night before had finished now, and there was an eerie silence within the house. The distant moment was creeping ever closer, the journey to the unknown was about to start. As we all got into the car, the atmosphere changed from calm to one of preparation and defence. The moment was approaching and no one knew how long the moment would last. Closer and closer, faster and faster, it was as if time was speeding up and would not stop in its acceleration. We arrive and are taken to the waiting place, where time slowed down to nothing but a crawl and we are left to wait.
I see the door in front it opens, the time is now, and there you are. Lying there in your wooden box, the room filled with unearthly stillness and ghostly silence which only death its self can deliver. In that one second, life had ceased to exist, time stopped, all defences disappeared, and the dream had come to an end. Seeing your body there the truth, in the harsh light of day, hit me as if death had touched my soul and taken a small part away. One second of death lasts for a lifetime.
To face my own mortality scared me but I could not run as time had stopped. I looked at you but you weren’t there, you had left your mortal body long before. One second and my world had come crashing down around me; there was nothing that could be done but to watch. The one that I had once known with happiness and laughter was not here. In that moment I saw the truth in the end we all lose this game no matter who we are.
Like a photograph the moment was captured, forever etched into my mind, a moment forever lost. When the moment had passed, we were not the same again. With every passing second we grow stronger, and console our aching hearts, the loss of you has changed us for now and forever. One moment that lasts a second, reminds us of what it means to be alive. Without that moment of death touching our souls, we would not have seen that the light is much brighter after we have travelled through the dark.
Alas it’s time to leave, life it says stops for no one, so we must continue in our separate journeys. In the car we go back to the house where it all began, sitting there alone in my head. Tears flow from my eyes like a gently flowing stream. Remembering that one second when death took part of my heart and left an empty space. Within that empty space I remember the darkness that I have passed through and I smile.
© Copyright 2011 Jamie-Leigh King (layney86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1752555-time-to-say-goodbye