*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754100-Matthew-Harris-Writing-Sample-3
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1754100
News article highlighting a local attraction.
Come Experience One of Louisville’s Top Attractions at the Louisville Zoo


Looking for entertainment and education all in one place?  Want an outing for the family or a fun date activity? Then look now further than the Louisville Zoo, where “Bettering the Bond Between People and the Planet” is not just their mission statement, but the basis for their strive to be the best.

A simple 15-minute drive from downtown Louisville transports visitors to a place where they can travel the globe in the span of a few hours, experiencing and learning about both the animals and plants that would otherwise be widely unknown.

It is a place where the best of all worlds come together to create an environment unlike anywhere else in Louisville. One where families can come together, where adults can turn into children and create memories that will last a lifetime.

The Zoo is home to more than 1,300 animals, from alligators to zebras and many, many more, including some of the world’s most rare and endangered species. The Zoo is one of just six institutions in the entire world to house a captive breeding population of the Black-footed ferret, North America's most endangered mammal, whose population had dwindled to just 18 in 1987, and now has over 500 in the wild today thanks to the efforts at the Zoo.

One of the aspects in attracting such an extensive roster of animals is the Zoo’s ability to replicate the natural habitats of its animals, which adds to the already impressive viewing experience for visitors. Not only can they see animals from all corners of the world in one place, but they can witness these creatures in a way that almost exactly replicates what they would see out in the wild.

The “State Zoo of Kentucky” has been well-renowned over the years for its exceptional work creating and strengthening the bond between the Zoo and the Louisville community. Both city and community leaders have been a large part of the Zoo’s progress since its opening in 1979, and have helped it continue to grow and assemble a strong and steady base for the future.

“The Louisville Zoo is truly a gem in our region and state,” said Louisville Zoo Foundation Board Chair Mark Wheeler. “The Zoo exists for the citizens of the greater Louisville area and the Commonwealth, and we are committed to doing our part to help.”

One of the most exciting additions to the Zoo is the new Glacier Run Seal and Sea Lion Habitat, which opened on June 30 and houses four California Sea Lions and a Harbor Seal in a state-of-the-art, 108,000-gallon salt water outdoor pool. Also included are the 200-seat amphitheatre, a schoolhouse and general store in the “Town of Glacier Run” in the middle of the habitat, and space for the addition of species such as polar bears, Steller’s sea eagles, sea otters and reindeer in the near future. 

It is the fourth phase of the Glacier Run exhibit to open, joining the Australian Walkabout, the Calistoga Splash Park at Glacier Run and the Alice S. Etscorn Tiger Tundra exhibit.

The Zoo also features a schedule of temporary programs that come and go throughout the year, giving both regular visitors and first-timers a chance to see new and exciting sights

Currently, the Zoo is home to the “Dinosaurs!” exhibit, which is on display daily until Oct. 10 and continuing on weekends through Oct. 31. With 16 life-sized animatronic dinosaurs highlighting the adventure, “Dinosaurs!” also includes a Dino Dig site where visitors can recreate an archeological dig and the all-new 4-D Ride Theater, featuring 3-D projection, surround-sound audio and special effects to fully immerse audiences with moving seats and surprises throughout the shows such as sprinklers, wind and bubbles.

Open year-round and closed only on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day, the Zoo is located at 1100 Trevilian Way, off of I-264 (Watterson Expressway). For complete directions and additional information, contact the Information desk at (502) 459-2181 or at www.LouisvilleZoo.com. Ticket prices are $12.95 for adults ages 12-59 and $9.50 for children ages 3-11 and senior citizens, with free admission for children two and under.






© Copyright 2011 MatthewHarris (matthewharris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754100-Matthew-Harris-Writing-Sample-3