*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754182-The-Case-of-the-Missing-Bicycles
by Joy
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1754182
University bike stands with missing bikes
         SPRING ARBOR, Mich., May 4, 2009 – Bikes are a popular item found on college campuses, especially today, as campuses get greener.  They don’t hurt the atmosphere and provide an efficient way to save money on gas.  Bicycles are, however, one of the top ten items stolen from students.  Even on Spring Arbor University’s campus, bikes are used without the permission of their owners.
         Lori Worpel, a sophomore at SAU, has had interesting experiences with her bike, named Old Red, being stolen.  “One time,” Worpel said, “I found my bike hung in a tree. It was so sad to see my bike hanging there like that. My first thought was...my bike had been hung! She was hanging in the gallows.”
         Worpel is one of many that experience the loss of their bike.  A national study done in 1994 by Integrated Cycle Systems (ICS), showed that a four-year students bicyclist has a 53% chance of having their bicycle stolen.  They estimated that only 1/3 of bikes are actually reported.  The ICS summary noted that any campus in any region or of any size is subject to these kinds of thefts.
         Several students at SAU have taken advantage of using their bikes on campus.  One student, sophomore Jessica Clarke, said, “Bikes make travel to and from class more convenient, they are a good source of exercise, and it’s just more fun to ride a bike than it is to walk.”          
Worpel said, “Why do I like to ride Old Red? Because she is comfy and gets me places very fast. Because I save time I can use that time to do other things, like paint my fingernails and squeeze in one more episode of Dawson's Creek."
Old Red has never disappeared for good however.  “Luckily, she always seems to return,” Worpel said.  “But one time she was gone for a whole week and I was getting so worried. I almost put up ‘Have you seen this bike’ signs around campus. But luckily she was returned. I never have seen the stealers face to face. They always return her to her rack in secret.” 
         At SAU, there have been periods when the campus underwent a series of bike thefts.  In the years 2003-2005, approximately $2500 worth of bicycles was stolen from people on campus including students, staff, faculty, and guests.
         Clarke admitted to riding someone else’s bike on campus but with permission.  She said, “I usually ride a bike when I am late to class.”
         This is when most bikes are taken – on the way to class.  Clarke said, “When people steal bikes, it’s usually because they are running late and only need a bike for a short time.”
         Bikes are also used to pull pranks on their owners, as Worpel has experienced several times.  Worpel said, “I found my bike in my dorm room one morning. I thought maybe I sleepwalked on accident and brought it in there. But then I found out that my good friends did it.”
         This is caused by the fact that most people don’t lock up their bikes.  Worpel said, “[Old Red] is not locked up the majority of the time. And I guess I can't really blame people. If I saw her, I would want to ride her too. She is beautiful.”
         The Student Handbook states that the university is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.  The Handbook gives some guidelines for property protection.  It suggests reporting any missing property to campus safety and an RA.  It also encourages students to respect the property of others people.
         Some other college campuses have their own bicycle policy.  Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania also claims no responsibility for lost, stolen, or damaged bicycles.  According to this policy, bikes are required to be locked in bike racks when not in use.  There is even a certain part of the day on the main campus where bikes are not to be ridden but walked.
         Some college campuses are creating bike-borrowing programs to not only curb bike theft but also to give their students and faculty a source of exercise and make their campuses more earth friendly.
         Northern Illinois University (NIU) has Borrow-A-Bike through which it is free for students and faculty to borrow bikes for up to two weeks.  Along with a bike, a helmet and lock are also issued.  The only charge would only occur if the equipment were returned damaged or just not returned.  There are similar programs at the University of Massachusetts Lowell and St. Lawrence University.
         While most bikes on campus do not have locks, it still give people the right to take their bikes without permission.  Worpel knows how it feels when something as close to her as Old Red is taken away from her. She said, “I felt scared. Frightened. Worried. Alone. To all the bike stealers out there: please stop.”
© Copyright 2011 Joy (dckwth19 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1754182-The-Case-of-the-Missing-Bicycles