*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755119-Prologue
Rated: ASR · Novel · Dark · #1755119
Prologue to a story, any feedback is greatly appriciated
Shadows are stretching from the ground, reaching for me. The evil within my heart calls to them like the sirens of old. They begin to intertwine and shape themselves into my likeness as they call out to me in their slithering voices.
"What is your hearts darkest desire? Speak and it will be so."
I ignore them for now, they are always like this when they first come back after having been released for a time. Looking around the room I see the horror stricken faces of the humans and elves seated around the table with me.
"If everyone is willing to pay attention now rather than gawk at the apparition at my back then we may  begin."
"As you say," muttered Sylvaan, "we are here for a reason."
"Now, about the monsters which have been attacking your settlements, what did you have in mind when you called me here?"
"First I want to know that you are not the one who summoned them here, everyone knows that your kind have a tendency to do such things in order to get more business," said Therin. He looked uncomfortable even as he said such a bold accusation, humans are funny that way.
"And what if I did? What would you do?" I smiled at the humor of my statement, you see we do find things funny, not too different form your kind.
Apparently Therin did not quite get the joke. "Sven take you, you worthless…"
"Now, now. Is that any way to ask for help? I did not say that they were mine merely that if they were that you could not do anything about it." Humans can be so perplexingly sensitive sometimes.
"As you say, name your price and if it is within our power we will pay it." The human king looked slightly offended still but there is nothing I can do about that now.
"My services may be outside the range which such a small kingdom can pay is the reason that I ask and you don't want to find out what happens to those who try to cheat me," at this hidden command the shadows at my back shifted as though eager to consume everyone present. The people around the table jerked back as though the shadows had actually jumped up and come for them.
"Thus he has asked you, Shadowmancer," spat Sylvaan, "we have no intention of taking advantage of the little good nature which you have."
"I am just making sure, elf, I meant no offence. As it so happens I have been wanting to test a hypothesis.  In payment, since you have such a small kingdom,  you may give me one person, body and soul, to do with as I wish. The only stipulation is that they must be a willing human, I have no use for an elf at the moment." Therin looked even more aghast even than when the shadows had appeared.
"A-a-as you wish 'mancer, you have the choice from among my kingdom just get rid of the monsters."
"Done." I couldn't help but laugh, he had just given me everything I wanted and more.
© Copyright 2011 Joshua Bailey (joshuabailey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755119-Prologue