*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755148-The-Flop-House
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Crime/Gangster · #1755148
We Snuggled in nice & tight in the Bar District. Had a Bar next door! Worked on Cabs Too!
                                              Welcome To "The Flop House


Back in the early 90's I moved over here to Southern Indiana (the Sunny Side of Louisville). I took over payments on a mobile home My Parents owned. My little sister fell way behind in Her Lot Rent Pymts. I reckon I lived there for a couple 3 years. I started making new friends, and before you know it, I'm a Hoosier! Oh I still had my Buds over in Louisville.

I fucked up & lost the best thing that ever happened to me in my whole life, "Valerie". I knew I fucked up on Thanksgiving. I gave Her a pretty damn big rock and asked her to Merry Me.My whole family was there. Her reaction said it all."Mike You and your cousins and the rest of your "Band of Gypsies" just party a little more than I'm ever going to. I left my Husband back in Arizona. He was an abusive alcoholic. You just like to have fun & party all the time. I won't live like that." I was devastated. She opened my hand, put the ring in my palm, closed my hand, turned and walked away. I never saw her again. I felt my Eternal Soul slip from my body. I felt that I was a Doomed Man from that point on. I never felt more utterly alone in my entire life.The next Girlfriend wanted to sneak around. We were gonna bust up anyway. I helped her move into an apartment. I got to come spend the night here & there. Bitch was taggin' me along like a little Boy pullin' his little toy truck by a string tied to the bumper. She was just over the floodwall from the Train Bridge.

I walked out on the Penn Central Train Bridge over the Ohio. I climbed all the way up into the superstructure of the first span over the spillway. I was standing on top of the highest part of that bridge, I had pigeons flying about me. I stood there watching the sun setting over the Knobs. I thought long about my life, my station in it. I was one depressed Son's of Bitch. Of course I pondered over lost loves. The years I wasted being married. I thought of my career as well. Things didn't look very good. I realized that my whole life from the time I was 15 years old was one long party filled with drink, drug, jail, & women. I like to think I wouldn't have jumped. It was an awful long way down to the rocks below. As I stood there atop that bridge weeping it began to shake. There was a train coming from the Louisville side of the river. The closer the train got the more violent the shaking!  I was terrified.  I don't scare easy. Ain't never been scared, least not so's you would notice. I always put up this tough guy facade. I immediatly climbed back into the ironwork of the span, held on tight, and hid until the train had passed..... I did not jump. Jesus woke me up with that train. I'll believe that until the day I Die! I'm satisfied that Saint Michael was there too, to catch me if I did jump! It seemed like forever before I got down off a that bridge.

Every relationship I entered  into was doomed from day one. Can you say Alcohol? There,"I said it!" It just nailed me right upside my head!  I can come up with no other answer that can explain the loss of everything I ever held dear. At one time I was a leader. A damn good one. Now I reckon I'm just another follower!  I've been a partier all my life. I reckon I got what I wanted in a way. I didn't want to be different and told I couldn't do the things the other kids did. Problem was I ain't no Kid No-More! I was just as good as everybody else. I worked hard & I partied even harder. I finally got to be the "Life of  The Party". I got some Dear friends I've known 30 years plus. People like me. I make friends most everywhere I go. I believe in making Peace not War! 

Somewhere in there I lost my home. I cain't even tell ya what year it was. I bounced around for awhile. Stayed with friends out near Corydon. Made my way back to Kentucky. Went to work for Pee Wee in the ally. Stayed at his house till I went to work for Mike on Taxi Cabs in HIS ally. I hit bottom when I started puttin Cocaine in my arm on a regular basis. I went to jail 4 times that summer. Police thought they could threaten me into rolling on Wynona. Charged me with his dope. Over 2 ounces of Cocaine. Had me on $20,000 full cash bond. I kept My mouth shut. Police didn't have a case & they knew it. I sat in there for around a month. I watched the Planes Fly into The World Trade Center from My Dorm at the Jefferson County Correction Center. When I got hauled over to court The Judge dismissed all charges and gave the Narcotics Detective a "Good 'Ol Fashioned Ass Chewin." I was back on the streets later that same day!

I believe the Lord had that guy run me down with his car on Bardstown Road. It got me up & out of there in time. All of those guys are dead or in prison. Wayne checked out first. We heard Chuckie got his neck broke in prison. It was ordered to keep him Quiet by Smilie. Smilie was the brains & the money behind all of it. He called the shots from Northridge Penitentiary. They wanted me to run shit downstate from Louisville. Good Money but No Thanks.

A car fell on Cousin Bob Back. He got impatient. Devarne & I were gonna do it for him. Dammit, He was a body man not a mechanic. That was brother #2. Brutis died in a motorcycle wreck some 20 years earlier. He was riding his Brother Bird's Harley that day from the Bloomfield Tobacco Fest. Brother Lee fell over Dead of a heart attack getting ready for work one mornin'. Three outta 6 Brothers dead. Devarne & Me are the ones everybody figured would meet with an untimely death!  Mouse, the Oldest, Bird & Devarne. Their still here. Me, don't know how I made it this far. I cheated 'Ol Lucifer many times over!  God just ain't ready for my 'Ol worn out Ass yet!  Reckon I'll be ready for Him next time He calls Me. I don't live "The HIGH Life" any more. I finally gave all that shit up. I been Quit off a Smokin for over 2 yrs now. I got COPD, have trouble breathin. I cain't do much of anything anymore. I had been running  wide open for over 30 yrs! Hell, I got Heart Disease, COPD, High Cholestoral. There's alot more; I'd have to look it all up. Osteoporosis, Osteopenia, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (Rare Genetic Bone Disease). All kinda trouble in my back.

After that car ran over me I had to move back to Indiana with Mom & Pop. That was in March 2002. Cousin Devarne come up and kidnapped me right at Christmas time.

Back to Kentucky again. I lived down in Cox's Creek, Nelson Co. 40013. We lived in a trailer on 'Ol Frankie Adkins' property. We bein' Devarne & me; oh yeah, Devarne's Girlfriend Sandy. One of them crazy whores from down to the Flop House. That's where I lived when I worked for Mike. Devarne was the one took in stray's.

I began hangin' out up at Franks. I knew him thru Devarne, Mike, Wayne, & Sonny. They were a crew from the 'Ol Days. Frank was disabled. He fell from a buildin' & broke his back. I befriended 'Ol Frank. Frank liked me too.  I helped around his place. Did outside chores (Yard work). Burned garbage and other assorted tasks. There were others who hung around Franks place. Did just enough work to overcharge the hell outta him! What they wanted was his pain meds. Frank would doze off at the table. People just took advantage of the guy. I didn't! Franks Family, Friends liked me because they realized I wasn't out to steal from Frank. 

"Frank Adkins" was my Friend. I went over to his house one mornin'."December 30, 2006". We were gonna go look at a 4X4 He was thinkin' about buyin'. When I found the place Quiet I thought it kinda odd. He would sleep when He could, either at the kitchen table or on the toilet! He didn't use the bed very much at all. I opened the bedroom door, and bounced on the bed Hollerin' for him to get up. Frank did not respond. His arms were Blue & Cold. My Buddy had passed in his sleep... I could have looked around and found his dope bucket (a little Igloo Cooler). I knew He had just uped all his medicines that were worth big money on the street. Family & friends were gathering at this time. I told The Medical Examiner that there were alot of pills hidden in Franks Bedroom. The M. E. said no body leaves this house until the dope was found. There was a Sheriffs Deputy there too!We found it and gave it to the M.E. Some of the people there actually gave me shit over it. I Was not gonna let no one profit off of Frank's Death! I miss Him alot. He don't have to suffer in pain no - more.He used to give me a pill or 2 or 3. He knew of My bone disease, all the troubles I had, and helped me with my pain when He could.
















© Copyright 2011 Brother Pool (57cuznz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755148-The-Flop-House