*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755535-beneath-the-tree
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1755535
very short story
We sat beneath the shadowy arms of a lonely tree in the middle of a lush field. The rough bark against my back just a distant annoyance. Nothing else really seemed to matter when his large hand was wrapped around mine.
We watched the sun make it’s way lazily across the sky the way it did every day. But this day it seemed more important, more fascinating than any other day. The same cool breeze that raised goosebumps along my bare arms blew his hair across his face. With his eyes closed he bushed it away. The only sign in hours I’d had that he was still awake.
It didnt matter that we hadn’t said a word since we sat down. I knew what he was thinking about. Knew it wasn’t me that filled his thoughts. But it didn’t matter.
Just like it didn’t matter that I knew it wouldn’t last forever. Or that I loved him more than he did me.
I was happy.
In that one moment everything was both perfect and imperfect and it was beautiful.
I’ll hold that memory in my heart forever and I will not tarnish it by wondering why I wasn’t enough to hold him, or worry that the time we spent together was not as precious to him as it was for me.
No.
I was happy and that is all that I will think of when I remember that day we spent in the field beneath the big tree.
© Copyright 2011 E-jayde (e-jayde at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755535-beneath-the-tree