*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755557-Bounty
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1755557
300 Word or less daily flash fiction challenge for 28th February.
Jason stepped lightly. There was more at stake than just his safety this time.

The oily footprints led around the corner into an alley. This alley had a different type of darkness, not so much a lack of light as an emanation of darkness.

Jason couldn't help imagining the creatures that lurked inside waiting to roar into life. He pressed his back against the wall by the alley. Beads of sweat were rolling down his face, spraying as they dropped off his nose into his breath.

Jason reached for a small notebook in his pocket, reading again the words on the front.

"Face your fears, or be destroyed by them."

These had seemed a lot wiser in his father's Study.

He pocketed the book. Mustering his will and breathing deeply, he dived head first into the alley.

He landed in ungracefully.

Looking up, he realised he was safe, and it wasn't dark. There was a warm glow at the alley's end.

Jason got up, dusted himself down then saw the oily footprints again. His eyes followed them leading up towards the orange light. The dancing orange glow must be some kind of fire, he thought. Although it wasn't a fire. Well, it was, but it was moving. Not flickering moving, but walking moving.

It was walking towards him!

Jason shot up and thought he could make the feint shape of a man in the fire. He could.

"Stay where you are!" Jason shouted.

The fire halted, then spoke in a calming voice.

"Please, I know you have been following me to capture me. I hope by telling my story you might reconsider. Can I offer you some tea perhaps?" a fiery arm brought forth a steaming bronze cup of sweet smelling tea, placing it on a small table.

Word Count: 298
© Copyright 2011 Johnny Maguire (johnnymaguire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1755557-Bounty