*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756012-TROPHY-CASE-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Chapter · Biographical · #1756012
The doctor came out and announced. “It’s a healthy boy.”
                                                                                                         
  (II)
                                                                                               
    Taran’s Birthday
 
    It is a chilly Thursday morning and we are rushing to the hospital. High anxiety and joy are the emotion we are feeling, Thoughts raced through our heads. Is everything going to be okay? Will our child be healthy? Will the mother go through childbirth without any unforeseen problems?  Am I doing everything I can do?

    Time seemed to go by so slow
    …    …    ...

    Then the doctor came out and announced. “It’s a healthy boy.”

    We all rushed to the viewing window to catch the first glimpse of our new baby boy. Everyone was rejoicing. The comments came spilling out like water from a kicked over pail.

    “He is so beautiful, my bride would say,” wow…

    Wow Look at that; his hands and feet they are so long”

    “Yep that is my superstar.”

    My heart grew.

    Morning turned into afternoon, and soon many of those who sat with us that day said their good-byes and slowly departed.  For the first time, we are alone, holding our precious gift in our arms. I remember thinking, how can he be asleep at a time like this. When will our boy wake so we can see his beautiful eyes?

    It took every ounce of energy we could muster to leave the hospital that day.  As we walked out, I joked with my bride, “Well I guess we will need to trade your sports car in for a minivan.

    “O, you think so? What about your collection? We can always sell all your Sci-Fi toys and start a college fund.”

    That night as we settled into bed we talked for hours, something we had not done since we first met. We agreed that our life was about to change, and our house was about to become a home. I don’t think I dreamed that night, or maybe I did, I must have. Something would wake me about every half hour or so.

    A sliver of light shimmered from the cracked door to the left of the bed, I sat up rubbed my eyes again and again, trying to focus on the clock on the dresser across the room, I heard a squeaking sound as the water was shut down then the clinking sound of the curtain as it was pulled back.

    “Good morning dear, I mean good morning mommy.”

    “Good morning daddy, did you sleep well?”

    “Not really how about you?”

    “Not a wink.”

    I must have been a little bit giddy that morning; at least it tickled me when my bride said,

    “Let’s go, its game time.”

    I felt like some kind of MVP as I pulled up to the front entrance of the hospital that morning. In red letters on a white background, a sign read. Between the Yellow lines, is for loading and unloading patients only. I was uncertain how long it would take, but I was certain of one thing. That sign was for us. The morning went as planned, the nurse on duty was very caring as she went over her checklist, pausing from time to time to assure us that everything would be okay, and we would be great parents. We loaded the truck with all the gifts we received from the maternity ward, secured our little bundle of joy in his car seat and set off to our friend’s house.

    We spent most of the day with family and friends. With each gathering, we would eventually say our goodbyes soon to depart on the long trip home. Grandma Brown would be staying with us for a couple weeks to help with the new baby. With a car seat and two new passengers, our journey home was a bit more crowded.

      Already acting like a protective parent, I was getting frustrated with the way people were driving. Everyone on the road that day seemed to be driving erratically. My bride tried to settle me down but I wouldn’t have it,

  “Don’t they know we have a baby on board?”

    Traveling has never bothered me much; we would just get in the car and drive. This night on our journey felt a little bit stranger than usual. Precious cargo changes how you act, no longer was it just another trip, safety became more important than how quickly we made the trip.

    The snow way flying towards the windshield in a V shaped pattern. Entranced by the sight I could nearly convince myself we were at warp speed on a spacecraft in a sci-fi movie. The wintry mix seemed to be getting more intense, and with each mile the road would fade, snow was consuming the surface as if it had a life of its own. Time to find a safe place to rest for the night, it was not whether I trusted Danny’s driving or not, but judging by the beating of my heart I knew it was time to stop.

    Stop and rest for the night, right. We did stop, but rest was something I did not get. After five hours of tossing back and forth, early morning in Santa Rosa came as welcome sight. Ever so carefully, I made my way out of the hotel room and down to the lobby for a morning cup of Joe. Just a little me time, at least that is what I thought. Hotel guests started emerging from their rooms and just like that, idle chatter replaced the silence. Trying to catch the road conditions, my full attention focused on the TV in the corner of the lobby.
A warm hand and the gentle touch broke my trance from the TV.

    “Good morning Daddy.”

    Turning around I caught a familiar sight, with a smile on her face and the morning crackle in her voice as she wished me a good morning. However, something was different; my bride had a new glow about her. Cradled in her arms was Taran. The look in her eyes was that of true love and admiration. It was fitting that that morning was New Years Eve, tomorrow will be a new year and with a life, we are thankful.

    The winter air was crisp as the breeze crossed the fresh snow. Chills ran up the back of my neck as I stepped outside the hotel lobby. A rumble in my stomach convinced me I needed breakfast and a good cup of coffee. As I loaded our bags in the truck I told Danny to round up the troops and head for the diner next door. Joyce was the first to emerge, in her arms Taran was wrapped tightly in a fuzzy blanket. Danny and Grandma would join them soon after. 

    A rush of warm air hit me as I entered the diner. The hostess at the checkout counter greeted me with a smile.

    “Good morning sir, How many in your party?”

    “I’m with the family and baby that just came in.”

    “You must be daddy.”

    “Yes I am how can you tell.”

    “He’s as handsome as his parents. Come with me.”

    The hostess led me to the back of the dinner. Three waitresses were gathered at the table ogling over Taran, Joyce and grandma smiled and giggled like a couple of school girls. Danny nudged me carefully in the side as I sat down; he leaned and whispered in my ear. “Now doesn’t that make you proud Daddy?” Without a word I smiled and nodded in agreement. 

© Copyright 2011 fast2act (fast2act at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1756012-TROPHY-CASE-Chapter-2