*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758447-Music-Splintered-Journey-Chapter-2-and-3
by Beth
Rated: 13+ · Other · Arts · #1758447
Hey this is chapter 2 and 3 enjoy ^ ^
I walked through the cottage hall until I reached my room. I opened the door and ran with a skip in my step. I jumped onto my bed and spread my whole body across it. I closed the door and started to sing in front of the mirror imagining I was in a music video. “I’ve been waiting a long time, for this moment to come, I’m destined for anything at all…”
The rest of the Green Day song continued through my head as I got changed. I swung off my pyjama top and quickly put on my erm… under garment. I skipped over to the white cupboard and took out my shirt. My arms slid neatly through the sleeves and I placed the buttons through the little holes. I took off the rest of my pyjamas and slipped on my pants. I searched the cupboard for my mini skirt until it fell off its hanger and into my arms. After my skirt was on I opened my drawers and took out my tights and tie. My tights were a pest to put on as the gripping material clung to my long legs. I picked up my tie and looked at it up and down. It was long and black with one thin single green stripe, red stripe, and yellow stripe grouped together. The colours reminded me of my first day at that high school. How big it seemed, how tall everyone looked and how confusing the timetable was.
I grabbed my hairbrush and stood in front of the mirror again as I brushed my long, dark, brunette hair. Every stroke was smooth, as I had washed my hair last night. I dropped the hairbrush back on the dressing table. As I walked out the room I scooped up my ipod and slid it into my pocket. I jolted back “Oh crap, make up,” I cursed. I stumbled over to my dressing table for about the 5th time this morning, and quickly but carefully applied some mascara and lip-Elliot’s. “Gotta look good,” I said.
I walked out my room and into the bathroom to brush my teeth. The bristles on the brush tickled at my gums, and the mouthwash filled my mouth with a distinctive taste.

Mum called for me to hurry up or I’ll miss the bus. I slipped on my black leather jacket and my knee-high, flat-footed boots. By the time I was at this stage, Rea had awoken and was changed into her uniform. The blue sweatshirt stood out against the white walls of the kitchen. There’s one thing you should know about Rea unfortunately she’s deaf. It was hard at first but over the years I’ve learnt to sign completely. She had been told (signed) my news and was now clinging to me like Velcro.
“Elliot has to go now sweetheart,” said Mum. Rea retracted and let out a sigh.
“Fine…just trying to spread the joy,” she signed in complaint, Mum kissed me on the cheek as I left for the bus.

Novel- Chapter 3

Dad got into his car and began to head off to work. He’s a journalist, today he’s writing about the war events in countries abroad. It’s a similar thing that, because my older brother Danny is serving in Afghanistan just now. He’s 19, he signed up for this war thing just after his 19th birthday. He left last October, and he’s been back a few times to visit. I miss him and worry about him loads.

I walked out my garden gate and crossed the road, then out from the drive came Dad in his car. When he began to drive down the road, I ran. I raced him until he had to pick up his speed before he was late. Obviously Dad always wins these races. I slowed down and walked. I felt around in my pocket for my ipod. It was all tangled in the headphone wires. It took me a while to untangle it but when I did, I was all plugged in and was listening to “Waiting”, the Green Day song I was singing in front of the mirror when I was getting changed. I tapped along to the beat and sang along with the uplifting lyrics. The soft summery breeze blew my hair behind me gently. The cool air tickled my neck, and I shivered. I was reminded about my letter when the post van drove past. It didn’t seem that long ago when I received an audition form from Mrs Carter in careers at school 5 months ago in January. I went to my audition in Glasgow, so we had to take the ferry. The auditions were in April. I’m really going to miss my mates from Islay especially Melanie. She’s my best mate, and I’ve known her since I was 3. Every morning we meet at the turning point at the top of the lane, to walk to the bus stop.
As my song slowly drifted to an end Melanie came walking round the corner. I lifted my hand and waved. I saw her slide her ipod into her pocket at almost he exact same time as I did. As she met me we both unplugged ourselves from our headphones.
“Hey Elliot,” she said.
“Hi Mel, what you been listening to?” I asked.
“Paolo Nutini ‘Pencil Full of Lead’ it really wakes you up in the morning. What about you?”
“Green Day ‘Waiting’ as you probably guessed,” I laughed. Paolo Nutini was Mel’s favourite artist; she said she likes the fact that he’s Scottish like us. Of course everyone knows that I’m a Green Day fanatic, I just love them. I stared at the armful of study books she cradled in her arms with caution. “Have you been doing last minute studying?” I asked her. Her short dark hair blew into her face.
“Yeh, Maths and Chemistry today,” she replied with a tired tone, “5th Year is damn hard sometimes.” Melanie wants to be a doctor, so she needs many qualifications. We’d only recently started 5th year to make room for the S1s on there induction days.
“Speaking of Exams,” I said, “I have some good news,” I said. She glanced at me with excitement.
“What, come on, tell me Elliot?”
“I got a letter this morning, form the California Performing Arts Academy, saying that I passed my audition and I’m getting to attend the school on the 21st of June and am moving into my apartment on the 18th of June!” I said. She stared blankly.
“That’s amazing Elliot, WELL DONE!” she exclaimed. She was silent for a moment. A moment of realisation.
“But you can’t leave…” she said with desperation. A tear rolled down her cheek and she hugged me harder than ever before. We kept walking until we reached the bus stop. I looked at my watch, it was 7:50, and we were early.
“We’re 20 minutes early,” I said to Melanie, “Do you want to go to the Spar, we could get something to eat for the bus home.”
“Yeh sure,” she said. We walked to the Spar shop down the road chatting as we went.
“What you hav’n?” She asked me. I scanned the shop. “Might get some skittles and a coke, what about you?” I said.
“I’ll get skittles and an Irn Bru, that’s phenomenal,” she joked. We picked up our snacks from the shelves and walked over to the counter. I took out my purse and so did Melanie.
“Nope it’s on me,” I said. She stared at me, “Thanks Elliot.” Morna behind the counter gave us a friendly smile. Her wavy grey hair dangled in front of her shoulders. At each side of her smile her cheeks were wrinkled.
“That’ll be £2.40 please girls,” she said. I counted out my pennies to make £2.50 and I handed them over. Morna opened the till and slotted a 10 pence piece into my palm, “10 pence change,” she said, “How’re yourselves anyway girls?”
“We’re good thanks,” Melanie and I said in unison.
“You heard much from your Danny recently, how’s he doing out in the heat of the Middle-East?” Morna asked.
“He’s good, made lots of new friends, a letter from him came in the post last week. A basic update he called it,” I replied.
“That’s good then,” Morna sounded pleased. I think she’s even worried about him.
“Bye Morna,” I said and Melanie followed me as I left the shop. Melanie turned and smiled at me, she started to giggle.
“What?” I asked her.
“You didn’t tell her your news,” she laughed. I was confused.
“Yeh…” I said slowly.
“I f I had something like that to tell, I’d be telling everyone I met!” she explained. I thought for a while of the whole reality of this thing. I mean… I’m moving to California! By myself! Without knowing anyone in the whole of flipping America, except rock icons including Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool. But they don’t know that I exist so there! Ahhhh panic rushed through me.
“Well I just don’t want to make a big shout about it just now,” I said. Her face looked sympathising.
“Okay, but sooner or later once you’ve told a few people, word will get about, you know Elliot?” she said.
“Yeh I know but can you help me to keep it quiet for a while?” I asked.
“Course I will,” she said, she’s good at these things.
“Thanks,” I said with gratitude. We reached the bus stop, and 5 minutes later, arrived the number 33 bus to Bowmore. We piled on; flipping up our bus passes for the driver. He was a tall chunky man, with dark grey hair. He looked like he hated his job. His mouth drooped down to his chin.
“A smile with service would be nice,” muttered Melanie, she’s also good at expressing her opinion. I gave her a look of paranoia. As a polite way of telling her to shut up, be quiet he’ll hear you, shut your mouth/trap/gob, fermé la bouche, if you like.
“I wish Morna could serve us everywhere we go,” she continued. I gave her the look again and she now expressed her opinion of me being paranoid, “Elliot, not everyone has super, extraordinary, hearing powers, stop worrying all the time, it’s fine. I’ll be surprised if that old bag of a driver can be bothered to strain his ears to listen to one of the 60 possible people on this bus!” she sat down on an aisle seat at the front, beside this old lady. “Good morning, how are you?” she asked the lady. She’s very polite also.
“I’m well thank you, though a smile from the driver would be nice,” the lady said. I stood there leaning against the bag area and I rolled my eyes in unbelief
“What’d I tell you?” Melanie said with pride. She’s also proud of her ability to prove points with little effort. A lot of noise was coming from upstairs. It was the new first years banging about, thinking they’re so cool. The past few days they’ve been up at the school for their induction days. God they’re annoying as hell. Can’t blame them though. They’re getting a bit of freedom, and more responsibility. I yawned then changed my position so I was fully relying on the bars of the bag area to keep me standing. The bus turned a tight corner, and I fell over crashing into the left hand sidewall of the vehicle. I grabbed my shoulder to heal the pain and grabbed the
bar nearest to me. “Christ…” I cursed. “I’m completely on your side with that ‘smile with service’ thing now.” Melanie laughed and I began to think about California. “God I’m going to miss you so much,” I told her.
“I’m going to miss you to,” she moaned. The lady next to us looked curious but smiled in sympathy.
“Oh this is my stop,” said the woman “nice to meet you.”
“Nice to meet you to,” we said. The woman walked with a wobble off the bus and continued down Bowmore’s High Street.

Number 33 turned into the bus parking area of Islay High. I gazed at everything, like it was my first time at big school. “June 6th, only 12 days to go,” I sighed. The bus came to a jerky stop and the doors opened. We jumped down the two steps onto the concrete with 1st years barging past us. “Thanks,” I said to the driver. He grunted.
“Thanks,” said Melanie “For nothing, she continued with a mutter. I nudged her with my elbow.
“See you at break,” I called to her.
“Bye,” she replied. Melanie has never been in any of my classes, since 1st year, even though we’ve known each other for ages. She has to go through the Science doors to get to her Regi classroom in English. Where as my Regi class is in Social Subjects, so I have to go through the Modern Languages door. These two doors are on different sides of the school.

I climbed the stairs up to Social Subjects and Business Education. I swung open the big double doors at the top of the stairs and continued towards Regi. When I entered the classroom, there weren’t many people there so the bus must have been early. I walked to the front of the class where my seat was and I sat next to Hamish. I’ve sat next to Hamish since my first day of high school. Seats were allocated on our first day and no one ever thought to change them. He was probably my best friend that was a boy. He was quite a small boy for his age; he had dark blonde hair that always looked like it had been quickly brushed with his fingers. His green eyes were dim and sometimes looked even grey. Hamish and I always have a good laugh. I sit next to him in History as well. That’s where we have the biggest laughs, he’ll just suddenly start dancing in his seat or singing a cheesy song. Or I’ll just start making up strange jokes. I’ll miss him to.
“Hi,” he said.
“Hey,” I replied. His voice was always quite small and high until one day in 3rd year I got a shock when he said ‘hi’. His voice had just gone low, low as hell compared to his other voice.
I thought about telling him my news and I had doubts. “Oh what the hell,” I thought.
“Ham?” I tried to get his attention. He was talking to Hillary, Callum, and Rian who sit behind us.
“Yep,” he said. I hesitated.
“I’ve got something to tell you.”
“Yep what?” he sounded slightly interested. I think “yep” and “what” are on his top ten favourite words list.
“I went to an audition in Glasgow a wee while ago, for an American Performing Arts Academy, well in California,” I began. He began to hum ‘Hotel California.’
“Hmmm hmm hmmm hm hm hm hm.”
“Ham,” I regained his attention. “I got in, erm…. I got in,” I said with half pride and half worry. He looked shocked but pleased at the same time.
“That’s awesome Elliot,” he said. ‘Awesome’ another word on his favourite words list. “Does that mean I’m now officially gonna be lonered in regi and history?” He asked.
“Well yeah unless you have a portable webcam that you can take to those classes, and I could chat to you through that?” I joked.
“Well no, I don’t have that,” he laughed.
“Thought not,” I couldn’t stop giggling, not just because of the conversation I was having, but because I began to have a flashback of everything Hamish and I have laughed about; funny spellings, songs, dances basically anything that could possibly be funny. He kept laughing, and his rosy cheeks were gleaming.
“Hey what you two laughing ‘bout now?” asked Hillary.
“Elliot’s going to California, to a music academy!” exclaimed Hamish. Hillary stared in interest. I sighed and explained everything again.
“That’s great Elliot!” said Callum, she leant over her desk and gave me a big hug. “You’re just so great at music, no wonder you got in,” said Rian. Just minutes later our regi teacher Mr Darge walked in.
“Right 5b get in your seats please!” he exclaimed. Mr Darge was a fairly young man, probably in his mid 30’s even though his name to me makes him sound older than he actually is. He was tall and had short, dark brown hair. For some reason he always wore a grey shirt and a navy blue tie, it was like he had nothing else to wear, though I’m sure he does. “Right I’ve got a few things to let you know about,” he began.
“Like Elliot going to California!” shouted Rian.
“Rian!” I exclaimed and sank my head down into my hands in embarrassment.
“Rian, Elliot, is this true and sensible, or is this one of your jokes?” smiled Mr Darge. For about the 10th time that day I sighed.
“Yes it’s true,” I admitted, “I went to an audition in Glasgow a while ago for CPAA, California Performing Arts Academy. I received an audition form from Mrs Carter in careers. My results came in the post this morning and I’m leaving in the holidays. My parents are going to hand in all the details to the school tomorrow,” I continued. Everyone stared at me and looked shocked, tearful, and happy at the same time.
“Well good for you Hannaford,” said Mr Darge, “we sure will miss you.” Then I began to feel tearful like when you listen to ‘Dreams on Fire’ A.R.Rahman and Suzanne D’Mello, or Green Day’s ‘Wake Me Up When September Ends.’ But I managed to hold back the tears and let out an emotional laugh.

By English, second period, literally everyone in my year knew my news. Everyone in my regi class told all their other friends and everyone in their other classes. I bet Melanie at least told 2 people. After English it was break and I was being asked all sorts of questions. But I really just wanted to find my other best mate Becca. I’d gone from nursery and all the way through primary with her, and yet, like Melanie, she’s never been in any of my classes. Though she’s been in a few of Melanie’s. I needed to tell her.

I found Becca at her locker which is in the Modern Languages corridor. She heard me coming and turned round smiling and laughing.
“I heard your news,” she laughed.
“News travels fast in a place like this, and I thought most people in this school didn’t even give a crap about me,” I laughed with her.
“Come ‘ere,” she gestured. I wrapped my arms around her tightly. “It’s gonna be real different with you not here,” she said. “When do you leave?”
“18th,” I explained. Her blonde hair fell in her face, and she flicked it behind her shoulders. Becca’s a real pretty girl; she wears really nice mascara that goes really well with her hair. She can pull any outfit off. One time at the Christmas dance she walked in all shy, and my jaw nearly dropped right off. Her dress was beautiful; it was a nice aqua blue that went down to her knees. She never boasts about her looks or anything, she’s just normal. I’d swap my California life for her looks. Wait maybe not my California life but you get what I mean, it’s a figure of speech.
“Oh you’re so goddamn lucky,” she said. “Bet they’ll be lots of hot guys in CA,” she laughed.
“Hell yeah,” I agreed. She gave me a look.
“Now, don’t come back with to visit with too hot a boyfriend, or I’ll get super jealous,” she was laughing so hard. The bell went and we parted.
“See ya!” she said. I walked up to art thinking about California boys. God I was in such a dwam. They would be gorgeous. I could return with a boyfriend, if I put a load of makeup on, that is. I pictured my dream California guy. Dark brown scruffy hair that would look good every day without any effort, bright green eyes like me, who wore jeans with black or blue shirts and awesome green hoodies. We’d go down to the beach in the summer and surf; we’d eat pizza every Friday together, and go to the cinema whenever there was a new movie out. Better not get my hopes up though. I should be concentrating about my academic life, not love life. I was just in time for art, not too late, and not too early. Miss Sanders smiled to me as I walked in the classroom, I could tell that she knew to. I sat in my seat next to Don, and Faith. Don was already doodling on his post-it notes.
“Hey,” they said. It was kind of awkward sitting in between them because they’ve been dating for like a year now. That’s probably one of the longest relationships in our year. They’re always talking to each other in class but in art they always include me; I remember it was in art that Don asked Faith out. I t was so sweet. I just clasped my hands together and said “Awww.” She said yes and they hugged.
“Hi,” I replied. I looked around the room, at all the colourful pictures on the wall by everyone from S1-S6. Models of cars, castles, houses, pots, mugs, and other bits and bobs were scattered around the room on side desks. Other pupils piled in, glad to be in a reasonably good subject. Miss Sanders sat down at her desk. She was a young woman, with nice, wavy sandy coloured hair (a resemblance with her name), that she wore up in a ponytail. She always wore a hair band that had quite a Western Indian style to it like most of her accessories. She liked to wear bracelets on her right arm, and wore black healed shoes. Her white shirt and white jeans showed off the colour of her scarf that was always wrapped loosely around her neck and complemented her hair colour.
“Class please collect your portfolios from the cupboard,” she instructed. Chairs scraped off the floor as we stood up. When I got my portfolio, I skimmed through, all my work over 4th and 5th year.
“Right today, we are going to continue our portraits,” she continued, over the past while we’ve been drawing a portrait of the person next to us. I chose Faith, so I was drawing her and she was drawing me. Donald was drawing Finny who’s also in my art class. I slid my drawing out of my portfolio and concentrated on Faith. I took my pencil and continued the drawing. I had managed to do her face shape, shoulders, mouth and nose in previous periods. I carefully began her eyes. I sketched a small curved line on the left of her face above her nose and repeated for the right. I drew two more lines that curved the opposite way above the previous lines. I then filled in the spaces with black circles. I rubbed out parts of the centre of the circles where the highlights in her eyes were. I wildly stroked in her eyelashes, she always wore mascara that was a deliberate dry messy touch to her eyes and skin. Her hair was pretty easy to draw. It was straw like and dry like her mascara, it was a nice strawberry blonde colour that was verging on auburn. I didn’t draw her with the expression that she was wearing just now otherwise that wouldn’t be too complimenting. Her face was full of concentration.

Even though it was easy, it took me the rest of the lesson to finish her hair and do the finishing touches. Miss Sanders stopped me on the way out.
“Elliot will you be here for next week’s lesson? I know you’ve got art again tomorrow and Thursday but I’ll not be able to grade the portraits till next Monday’s lesson,” she said. Her hair glistened in the light of the building. I wondered what shampoo she used because my hair’s just plain dark brown, like really dark brown and it never glistens.
“Yes, I’ll be here, I take it you heard,” I replied. She gazed at me thoughtfully.
“Yes I heard, so when are you leaving?”
“Em, twelve days, the 18th,” I said. I was going to get an early summer holiday, but spending it in America, yeah! I suppose that’s to get me used to everyone and everything before school actually starts.
“Oh, not long then,” she laughed. I laughed with her.

The rest of the day past quick, before I knew it I was home going over all the forms and stuff with mum at home. We discussed travel, and academic aspects.
“Right on all these information sheets, somewhere it says that your flight has been booked. It’s on the 18th at 9am in London,” she said.
“That means I’ll have to leave on the 17th then doesn’t it?” I asked.
“Yeh you will, your flight from London to California is paid for by the academy. So we’ll have to pay for the car travel from Glasgow to London, and the flight from the island to Glasgow. It also says here that you’ll have a taxi waiting for you at the airport in California,” she continued. Too much travel!
“Ok, I’m a bit tired can we talk more later? I’m gonna go to my room,” I asked.
“Yes, but as long as you take these forms with you and have a good read of them, I’m not reading them all for you.”
“Sure,” I obeyed.
© Copyright 2011 Beth (theunderdog at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1758447-Music-Splintered-Journey-Chapter-2-and-3