*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1760193-Flash-Fiction-1st-entry-ever
by Sil
Rated: E · Fiction · Sports · #1760193
Flash Fiction Entry #1 (Honorable mention)
My friends and I headed over to the baseball field to play a quick game, but when we got there, the girls had claimed it. I could not believe what they were doing. The girls were holding a make-believe wedding on the diamond. Sara was the bride.

Sara wedding marched out of the dugout, heading for home plate. Her long blond hair fanned out over her shoulders. A crown of dandelions rested top of her head.

"That is going to leave a funny green ring" I snickered. If I had anything to do with it, she’d be OUT.

“I bet I can get them stupid girls out of the infield” Josh said.

He reached into his ball bag, pulled out something wiggly, and turned to face the girls. Josh faked a lunge, thought better of it, and spun toward me.

“Josh, what the …?”

Sure enough he had a snake. My dad’s a herpetologist, so snakes don’t scare me. It was probably a king snake.

“Play along Jersey, act scared.”

He raised the snake, and I realized my best friend held a baby rattlesnake in his fist.

I froze.

“Scream or something…come on Jersey, for once, act like a girl.”

I stepped back slowly, all the way to the pitcher’s mound. If I didn’t get him to drop the snake, quickly, he would be bitten.

So I did the only thing I could. I reached into my glove, pulled out my ball, and rocket fired it right at Josh’s face.

Josh is our team’s best catcher – so he caught it, barehanded. The baby rattler hit the dust.

“Josh you idiot, that’s a diamondback.”

The snake wiggled off. So did the girls. Guess that was one too many diamonds for their wedding.

Batter up!

(296 words)




© Copyright 2011 Sil (silonch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1760193-Flash-Fiction-1st-entry-ever