*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761312-Taming-A-Rebellious-Lady
Rated: E · Novel · Romance/Love · #1761312
Something I'm working on. If you like it I'll keep going.
Chapter 1
Constance was shrouded in darkness, her black evening dress and black cloak kept her hidden in the shadows. Her heart was pounding, she had never broken into another’s house, but she had to do this. She was going to save herself from a marriage that she didn’t want and of course save Gabriel from a marriage that he could not want. Gabriel was making a mistake if he was intent on marrying her. Constance would not marry unless there was a fondness and love involved.
She took a deep breath and moved closer to Gabriel’s library window, as she peered through the window she realized, to her dismay, that the library was empty. She saw the taper still burning on the large desk and then noticed that the window on the other side of the desk was open. Someone had left the window open, which would allow her to climb in and wait for Gabriel. It wasn’t the smartest thing that she had done, but it would allow her to talk to Gabriel.
She stayed close to the house as she edged her way to the open window and took on last look to make sure that the library was still empty.
“Do you need help inside, Miss Whitmoore?” a dark, dangerous voice said from behind her.
Constance almost screamed, but before any sound could come out a hand covered her mouth. She felt the person move closer to her and softly whispered. “Do not scream. I will not have you waking my servants.” Then he turned her around without moving his hand. When he was certain that she had gotten a good look at him he freed her mouth. “Do you have an explanation, Miss Whitmoore?”
“Oh Gabriel! I thought you were some evil villain. I am so relieved that it tis only you.” She said as she leaped into his arms and hugged him tightly.
He pushed her away and in a soft voice asked her again. “Do you have an explanation?”
“Of course I have an explanation, my lord.” She said as she stepped back. She came up against the house. She was trapped between Gabriel and the house. She looked Gabriel up and down. He was still wearing his black trousers and pleated white shirt. His cravat was untied and just hung around his neck. She could see even in the dark of night the outline of his lean body, but she knew that there was strength in him. She had felt it when he had danced with her earlier in the evening.
As Gabriel stepped closer to her she put her hand up to stop him, but he took her hand into his and turned it over to kiss her wrist. “What is your explanation, my lovely hoyden?” Gabriel was looking her straight in the eyes. She was taken aback by how deep and penetrating his green eyes were.
“I do not wish to marry you, my lord. I do not wish to marry-“
“You wound me. Am I that bad, Miss Whitmoore?” Gabriel asked as he stepped even closer to her, never taking his eyes off hers.
“Do stop teasing me, my lord. I have no intention of being wed to anyone.”
“I was not teasing, Constance. I plan to marry you and you have just sealed that fate tonight.” He placed his hands on the house, closing in on Constance. She was completely trapped now. Her heart was pounding wildly within her chest.
“My lord, my fate was sealed when my parents passed. I shall be a spinster in Northampton.”
“You are unfortunately wrong. You will be the Countess of Graywood. I insist. Please, my dear, do not further wound my pride by denying me.”
She reached up and gently caressed his cheek. She could feel the stubble on his face. She couldn’t, no she didn’t want to stop touching him. “Gabriel, I would never want to wound your pride-“
“Then it is settled. We will marry. I shall talk to your Uncle on the morrow.”
“My lord! You misunderstand. I don’t want to wound your pride, but I cannot consent to marriage.”
“Answer me this. Do you make it a habit of sneaking into a man’s library?”
Constance looked up at him and flushed. “No, my lord. You are my first.”
“I am rather glad to hear that. So then, my honor must insist upon marriage.” He said as he stepped even closer to Constance feeling her body pressed against his. He was drawn to her, he couldn’t explain it.
“I was afraid of this. I knew your honor would make you feel obliged to marry me, but I cannot allow it. I refuse to marry anyone.”
“Then Miss Whitmoore, I must assume that you are offering me a liaison. Which I will unfortunately have to decline. As we have nothing more to discuss I suggest you get on back to your Uncle’s townhouse before you do more damage to your reputation.”
“Of course, my lord.” Constance ducked under Gabriel’s arm and began her trek back to her Uncle’s. The night was a disaster. She had given Gabriel another reason to marry her, and had made herself seem to be a reckless hoyden. She didn’t know why the thought of him thinking less of her bothered her, but it did. She had tried to do the best thing she could to end the whole idea of marriage to Gabriel.
Gabriel climbed back into his library and closed the window. He poured himself some brandy. He sat down behind his large desk and thought about his future bride. He smiled as he remembered what it felt like to have her hand on his cheek. Her skin was so soft and fragile.
He knew that he would have to outsmart her if he planned on making her his. She was smart and really seemed to be completely against getting married. He planned on finding out exactly why she was so against the idea. He hoped that it was not that she was not interested in marrying him. The thought of her not wanting him made him feel something that he couldn’t explain. Of course he could have any young woman of the ton, but for some reason Constance had gotten inside his head. He planned on making her his future bride. If he had to he would bide his time until she came to realize that they would do well together.
Gabriel remembered how she felt when he had danced with her at the Everly’s Ball. She was alive in his arms; so graceful and fluid. He remembered walking her out on the terrace because he wanted her to know that he was planning on asking for her hand. Big mistake on his part. Gabriel was wealthy and carried a title. Any girl would be happy to be in an alliance with him, but Constance wasn’t happy. A woman in Constance’s position should be happy. She was nearly six and twenty and not beautiful by classical means. She had a slight upturned nose that Gabriel found very captivating.
Now Gabriel would have to set his plan into motion if he did indeed plan on marrying Constance. He was sure that she wouldn’t be happy, but she would adjust nicely, of that he was sure.

“I can’t believe how arrogant and…Oh, he’s just so arrogant.” Constance fumed.
“Are you, by chance, referring to Graywood?” Phoebe asked. Phoebe and Constance had been friends since practically birth. Phoebe’s mother, Lady Jamison and Constance’s Aunt, Lady Whitmoore had been friends and when Lord and Lady Whitmoore had taken in Constance after the death of her parents, the two had been inseparable.
Phoebe was beautiful. She had long auburn hair and eyes of amber. She was considered a diamond in the first water. Phoebe and Constance were very different, but that seemed to only bring them closer. Phoebe was the only one that Constance could open up to, she could be herself.
“Of course I am. How could he think I would marry him?”
“Well because he had a tide and he’s richer than Croesus.”
“Phoebe, his money won’t buy my heart or my love.” Constance said.
“It is my understanding that men don’t buy love, they buy loyalty and a woman to raise their heir. Seeing as you are a very loyal person, I’m sure Lord Pearson is aware that he’s getting a good deal.”
“Bloody hell, I’m not a dog.”
Phoebe laughed a loud, then quickly said, “That is why I agree with you about marriage. It is a waste of time, unless both parties are involved wholeheartedly.”
“Don’t let your father hear you say that.”
Phoebe rolled her eyes. “I’ll worry about Papa when some gentleman decides to marry a Marquis’ daughter.”
“It will come soon enough, Phoebe.” Constance said as she stared out of Phoebe’s drawing room window.
“Of course it will, but right now I shall just enjoy watching your predicament.” Phoebe said with a smile.
Constance turned and smiled back at Phoebe. “Why thank you, Miss Jamison.”
Constance couldn’t keep her mind off Gabriel. By all accounts he shouldn’t want to marry her. She was not from a wealthy family and had no connections, except for her Uncle, Baron Whitmoore. He had been her father’s half-brother. The two had never been close, but Lord Whitmoore had always been kind and loving toward Constance.
She told herself that it was because her Uncle never had children of his own. And she was amazed on how much love her Uncle had for her Aunt. Deep down the only way Constance would marry was if she could love someone that much. She believed a loveless marriage was no better than selling her soul to the devil. That was a fate that couldn’t nor wouldn’t allow herself; and it wasn’t a fate that she wanted for Gabriel.
“Excuse me, ladies, there’s a message for Miss Whitmoore.” The butler said standing in the doorway of the drawing room.
Phoebe motioned for the butler to come inside. She took the folded paper off the silver salver. “Thank you, Graves.”
Graves bowed his head and let himself out of the room. “Here you go, Constance.” Phoebe said as she held the paper up for Constance. Constance crossed the room and sat down across from Phoebe as she grabbed the message.

Your presence is requested
Yr. loving Uncle
Lord Whitmoore.
“Oh dear. I fear I must go. Uncle is requesting my presence.”
“Apparently, Lord Pearson made good on talking to your Uncle.”
“That or felt it necessary to tell him about my midnight rendezvous.” Constance muttered.

Constance was let inside her Uncle’s townhouse by his dear old butler Sampson. “Thank you.”
“The master is waiting for you in the library, Miss.”
“I shall show myself in, Sampson.”
“Very well.”
Constance walked into the library and saw her Uncle sitting at his desk with Lord Pearson on the other side. They both looked up as she walked in. “Afternoon, Constance.” Her Uncle said.
“Good afternoon, Uncle. Lord Pearson.” She said with a slight curtsy.
Gabriel stood as Constance walked forward and took a seat in her Uncle’s library. Once both were seated. Lord Whitmoore spoke. “Constance, Lord Pearson has recently brought to my attention-“
“Uncle, I can explain.” Constance said as she glared at Gabriel.
“Now, my dear, an explanation is not required, just action.” Her Uncle said with a wave of his hand.
“I had a lapse of judgment, I swear to you that it shall never happen again.”
Her Uncle looked at her, he had a look of shock on his face. “I should hope not. Getting engaged should be a one-time thing.”
“Engaged?” Constance asked. She was really confused. Had Gabriel told her Uncle that she had consented to be his wife? She would never talk to him again if he had done that. She would cry off the engagement and go live in Whitmoore Manor. She would not marry without love.
Gabriel spoke up this time. “Yes, my dear, I explained to your Uncle that I wished for your hand, but you said that you would only consent if I did it the right way. So here I am, talking to your Uncle.”
“Oh dear,” Constance said. “Uncle, I never consented to marry. I said I would never marry.”
“Now, Constance, this is a wonderful offer. Unfortunately you have to take it.”
“Why do I have to accept it?” Constance asked.
“I have already sent the notice off to the paper. Lord Pearson has decided a marriage at the end of the season would work just fine.”
Constance looked between her Uncle and Gabriel. She couldn’t believe that he would do something like this. Actually, she could. She knew that Gabriel would do whatever it took to get what he wanted. “Uncle, I can’t marry him. It would be horrible. We wouldn’t be happy. We probably would go our own separate way, which I guess wouldn’t be so bad. Uncle this is not what I want.”
“We shall talk about this later, Constance.” Her Uncle said and then he added. “You two will do well together, girl. No doubt about that.”
“Of course Uncle. I know I should be happy about the marriage, but unfortunately I cannot find it in me to feel elated.”
Gabriel knew that she wasn’t happy, she had made that known, but his honor wouldn’t allow himself anything less than marriage. He couldn’t deny that he was attracted to her. She was like a siren singing her song, but he couldn’t believe that she would lead him to destruction. She was loyal and even though she was not happy, she would soon realize that this was a very good match. “Miss Whitmoore, I vow to be a good husband. You will never want for anything.”
“I have no worries about trinkets and baubles. I’m worried about being attached to a high-handed, arrogant, and controlling man.”
Lord Whitmoore was thoroughly shocked. “Now, see here, I will not have you talking to your future lord like that. I have raised you to know your manners.”
Constance looked directly into Gabriel’s eyes and did not bother to hide her contempt of the situation. “My apologies, my lord, I must admit that my delicate sensibilities-“
“Of course her delicate sensibilities.” Her uncle interrupted.
“There is no need to explain, my dear, I promise I will go out of my way to never make you overwrought with emotion.”
“Thank you, my lord. Now if you will excuse me. I think I shall retire to my bedchamber for a while.”
She quickly exited the library and retired to her bedchamber. She looked out the window and allowed herself to shed tears as she thought of her dismal future.

“Seems like you were right about sending the notice off before we spoke to her.” Lord Whitmoore said.
“She’s a very stubborn girl.” Gabriel replied.
“She is definitely her father’s daughter. He was extremely stubborn as well, and I must admit, that my wife and I have been a bit lenient with her.”
“In a few short months she shall be my problem.” Gabriel muttered.
“Don’t get me wrong, Graywood, she’s never been a problem. She’s very loyal to her family. She’ll do what is best as to not bring any shame to us.”
Gabriel thought back to last night and knew that if her Uncle knew exactly what Constance had done he would be utterly disappointed and very likely to send her back to the country; or require a quick marriage. Soon Constance would be his and there was nothing that she could do about it, he thought to himself.
“I did not mean to imply that she was a problem. I just meant that she will be under my rule in a few short months. Baron, have you any notion as to why she doesn’t want to marry?”
“Well, I’m sure it has to do with her silly notion of love. She has been told by my loving wife about how much her parents loved each other. She also reads those silly romantic poems by Byron. At heart I’m guessing that she is romantical.”
“I figured as much. As for myself I will be happy with her loyalty.”
“As I said, she is very loyal, yet she is loyal to those she has given her heart. We had a problem with one rake a few years back at Whitmoore Manor.”
“Tell me about this rake. I would like to know what happened.”
Lord Whitmoore delved into the tale of when Constance was nineteen and Lord Foxhaven showed a bit of interest in her while visiting the country. The thought of Constance feeling strong emotions for another man was enough to make Gabriel want to hit something. He knew that it was all in the past yet, he wanted Constance to give him all that she could.

Chapter 2
It had been two evenings since that fateful night outside of Gabriel’s townhouse. Everyone knew about her impending nuptials. This evening she had been congratulated by a number of people. She had been told repeatedly that it was a good match.
Lady Weatherly approached Constance and Phoebe who were standing by an open window getting some fresh air. She congratulated her, but there was something about Lady Weatherly’s tone. She didn’t seem to mean anything that she said to Constance. Lady Weatherly was acting as if Constance being married to Gabriel was a tragedy, which wasn’t too far off from what Constance thought.
“Thank you, Lady Weatherly.” Constance said politely.
Phoebe chimed in with “Excuse us, Lady Weatherly. I see my mother. We must take our leave.”
“Of course, Miss Jamison.” Lady Weatherly said, then turned and walked away.
Phoebe and Constance were walking towards Lady Jamison when Constance was pulled by Phoebe toward the terrace outside. The night was a bit chilly so Constance pulled her wrap tighter around her. “I cannot believe Lady Weatherly seemed unpleased with my engagement to Lord Pearson.” Constance said.
“I can. This is Miss Weatherly’s first Season and her mama was hoping to get her married off to Lord Pearson. The Weatherly’s are in dire straits, if you know what I mean.”
“Miss Jamison, how do you learn all of this?” Constance asked.
“I hear everything that my mama and papa say. They talk about people and their money.” Phoebe smiled. “You know that papa has to keep his eye out for fortune hunters.”
“Makes sense now. I guess if I had a child on the marriage mart I would be upset too. I mean I wouldn’t want my daughter to be overlooked because of someone completely unworthy of a gentleman like Lord Pearson.”
“Constance, I wouldn’t consider you unworthy. I would consider Lord Pearson unworthy of someone like you.”
“That is very nice of you to say. Yet, look at me. I am nowhere near as beautiful as Miss Weatherly. I do not come from a wealthy family. My uncle has plenty of money, but he’s just my half uncle.”
“Constance, you may-“
“I guess I could try to be somewhat happy about my impending doomed marriage, but bloody hell, I don’t give a fig about money or a title.”
Phoebe’s eyes widened and she gasped loudly, “Constance, please-“
“I understand why my Uncle seems to think that it is a good match, but in my opinion it is a horrid match. I shall feel like my soul has been sold to the devil and I have no notion of how to get it returned. I guess I could cry off the engagement and go back to Northampton and stay in Whitmoore Manor. I rather like the country more than town life, anyway.”
“Constance. Turn. Around.”
Constance turned around slowly and saw Gabriel standing behind her. He looked magnificently handsome with his tousled black hair, neatly pleated shirt and tied cravat. His breeches were snug showing off his lean line of muscle. He gave Constance a cool, controlled smile. “Good evening, my dear. Miss Jamison.” He nodded slightly toward the Marquees’ daughter.
“Good evening, my lord.” They both replied with a slight curtsy.
“Allow me to escort you ladies back into the ballroom. We would not want you ladies to catch a chill. Besides I would love it if my fiancé would allow me a Waltz.”
“Of course, my lord. I would be honored to dance with you.” Constance replied.
“I see, my dear Constance, you will honor me with a dance, but not your hand in marriage.”
Constance looked down and flushed slightly. Phoebe nearly let out a chuckle, since she found the situation entirely amusing. She looked from Constance to Gabriel, then back to Constance. “Please stop teasing Miss Whitmoore, my lord.”
“My apologies, my dear. I did not mean to upset you, even in the slightest. I only meant to tease you.”
“It is done. I am fine, my lord.” Constance said as she walked passed him and toward the ballroom. Gabriel and Phoebe followed. Gabriel grabbed Constance’s arm and led her onto the dance floor as Phoebe made her way toward her mother.
Gabriel swept Constance into a Waltz and felt her slowly loosen up. He looked into her eyes and saw her come alive. This is the Constance that Gabriel likes, the Constance that Gabriel wants to have in the bedchamber next to his. He smiled down at her and she looked absolutely beautiful in her white ball gown with gold trimming and ribbons. The gown was cut rather low, which he would talk to her about later. “Miss Whitmoore, is the idea of marriage to me honestly as bad as you make it out to be?” Gabriel asked.
“My lord, the idea of marriage without a single hint of affection is rather dreadful.”
“No doubt a woman of you delicate sensibilities requires affection.”
“Sir, I do not require affection. Yet, if I am to give it I would want it returned.”
“My lovely Constance, I shall return whatever you give me. I will do whatever to make it a pleasant experience.”
“Thank you, my lord.” Constance said as she looked past Gabriel and saw a familiar man staring at her. “Oh bloody hell. This can’t be happening to me.”
“It is only a Waltz, my dear. Would you like some fresh air?”
Constance couldn’t tear her gaze away from Lord Foxhaven. He was standing by the terrace doors; she would have to encounter him if Gabriel took her outside. “No, my lord, I would prefer to keep dancing.”
Gabriel followed Constance’s gaze and his eyes locked with Lord Foxhaven. The viscount was staring at the two of them dancing. Well, no better time than now to find out just how deep Constance’s emotions were for the lord. “I am getting rather warm, Miss Whitmoore. Allow me to escort you outside for some fresh air.”
“No!” Constance said a little too loudly. When she realized that people were looking at her she spoke a bit softer. “My lord, I simply cannot go over there. Please do not make me.”
“Constance, you will be with me. Unless there is something you are hiding from me.” He said rather dangerously.
“My lord, my past is my own. It was all before I met you, but I do not feel like having all that come back.”
Gabriel did not listen to anything she said as he made his way through the crowded ballroom. Lord Foxhaven stopped the two as they were getting ready to walk back outside onto the terrace. “Good evening, Graywood and Miss Whitmoore. You still look as lovely as you did a few years ago.”
“Foxhaven, are you talking to me?” Gabriel asked a little too loudly.
Foxhaven’s face turned a bright shade of red as he stuttered slightly. No-no, my lord. I was commenting on your fiancé.”
“Oh I see. Yes she is very lovely. Now, if you will excuse us we were going to get some fresh air.” Gabriel said as he practically dragged Constance from the ballroom. Once they were outside, he led her down the stairs into the Weatherly’s Garden and when he found a bench he sat down and pulled her onto his lap. “Now, I think you need to explain to me what is in the past with you and the viscount.”
“My lord, I don’t think that I could explain. It is all in the past. You do not really want me to relive it do you? “
“I do not care if you relive it. As a matter of fact, I feel I must know if I am to marry a ruined woman.”
Constance looked at him as if her were crazy. The only thing that the Viscount had ruined was her heart. He had broken it and she was afraid that it would never heal. What most people didn’t know was that Constance had been in love with him. She didn’t think herself in love, she knew she was. He had given her such sweet words and promises. She had just learned too late that the promises were empty. She had never meant anything to Lord Foxhaven. “If you must know, my lord, I thought myself in love with him at one time. I was young and naive. There is nothing more to it than that.”
“So you did not want to see him because you thought you were in love with him at one point.”
“Exactly. Delicate sensibilities.” She said without looking at him.
Gabriel knew that there was more to the story than that, but he wouldn’t push her. He was sure that when she was ready to talk she would come to him. He brought his hand to rest under her chin, then raised her head to look at him. “There is one thing that I must make completely clear.”
“Of course, my lord. I am aware that you must lecture me.”
“I am in no mood to lecture you, Constance. I just want to make sure that we are clear on this matter. You are absolutely beautiful.”
Constance’s eyes widened no one had ever called her beautiful, not even Lord Foxhaven, and she couldn’t believe that Gabriel thought her beautiful. She looked into his emerald green eyes and said, “My lord, how can you say that? I am far from beautiful. Why, even Phoebe is far more beautiful than myself.”
“Constance, did you hear anything that I said? I told you that I think you beautiful and what I think is all that matters.”
Her eyes filled with tears and she wrapped her arms tightly around him. “Gabriel that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.” She said into his neck.
“I was not being nice, my love, I was being honest. Anyway, I think it is time I get you back to the ballroom before anyone starts to miss you.”
“Of course, my lord.”
“I will be by to pick you up at five tomorrow.”
“What for, my lord?”
“We shall go for a drive in the park. Please be ready. I do not like waiting.”

Constance was wearing a lavender riding gown waiting in the library with her Uncle for Gabriel to arrive for the afternoon ride. She was hoping that Molly, her chambermaid, had been right about the lavender bringing out her eyes. She wanted to look good for Gabriel, there was no reason as to why she should want to look good, but in the end she did. She wanted Gabriel to find her attractive; she wanted to be beautiful for him.
She was sitting in a chair by the library window trying to read a book her Uncle had recently purchased about Greek history. She was amazed at how much Gabriel affected her. She couldn’t help but think about him and how she felt when she was near him. One minute he could make her extremely mad and the next she was overwhelmed by how he could make her blush with his words.
She imagined what it would be like to be in his arms all night. She loved the feeling she got when she was dancing with him; and last night when she had been in his arms and he had called her beautiful she had been caught off guard. She couldn’t imagine a man like Gabriel using the word beautiful to describe a woman like her. It was a feeling that she wasn’t used to, but a feeling that she wanted to feel again.

Gabriel walked up the steps to Lord Whitmoore’s townhouse and was let in by his butler Graves. Graves had aged well; for he didn’t look as old as Gabriel knew he must be. He was almost as tall as Gabriel and had a head full of white hair, but hardly any wrinkles lined his face. His temperament was one that had allowed him to keep his position within the Baron’s employ. He took orders and followed them carefully to the T.
Graves looked Gabriel up and down, taking him in. He knew that Gabriel was going to be marrying Constance and that pleased him. Graves liked Constance, she was always nice to him and when her Uncle or her Aunt weren’t around she would talk to Graves about almost anything. Mainly she had talked to him about Byron poems and old Greek writings that she had enjoyed.
“I am here to retrieve Miss Whitmoore for our afternoon ride.” Gabriel said to Graves.
© Copyright 2011 A.M. Ammons (omgwtf85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761312-Taming-A-Rebellious-Lady