*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761539-Guardian
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1761539
Somebody is always there for you, whether you know it or not.
  I can see him, by the flickering light of a street lamp, slouching on a park bench. His eyes are shut and he breathes rhythmically, unaware of the night world around him. Liquor bottles litter the pavement at his feet, with broken glass catching the light and marking where he sleeps. I glide out of the shadows and towards him. He shivers, but if he heard my approach, he shows no sign of it.

  "Time to wake up." I say, with my hand on his worn-out-green-jacket-covered shoulder.
  His eyes flutter open, then dilate when they see me. I take a step back and allow his eyes to adjust to the sudden light that comes with consciousness.
  "Wha-" He mumbles sleepily. "Who are you?"
  "You already know me, Sid."
  He takes a moment to study me, confusion clear on his face. Then, his eyes light up.
  "There, now do you remember me?" I ask, with a smile on my face.

  His brightened expression turns panicky. "What do you want? What are you doing here?!" He demands.
  "For you to calm down." I reply. "I was in the area and saw you. I had to say hello and catch up!"
  "Catch up? What is there to catch up on?"
  "We haven't spoken in years, Sid. I can see that things haven't been going well. Do you want to talk about anything?"
  His tired eyes narrow, and he gets a stubborn set in his jaw. "I don't need to talk to anybody. I hit rock bottom, and suddenly everybody's interested? If all of this has taught me anything, it's that life ain't fair."
  "And those," I say, pointing to the bottles, "Will help even the scores? Everyone's concern isn't a sudden development. We've all been worried, you just haven't paid attention. We still want to help you Sid."

  He sits quietly, his still-narrowed icy blue eyes watching me intently.
  "You know that your sister would take you back in, if you just changed your behavio-"
  "That's what it's all about, isn't it?!" He shouts. "She sent you, didn't she? Forget it. If you want me to crawl over to her and kiss her feet, you're out of luck!"
  "Enough!" I cry. He stops mid-rant and looks at me with fear on his face. "She isn't the one who sent me. She isn't holding a grudge. She cares about you, she only wants to help! All you have to do is swallow your pride and ask her. Don't be a child, Sid. You're better than that."

  He is quiet for a long time. He looks at the bottles, and I can see the resentment. Finally, he looks back up.
  "I...I don't know if I can do this."
  There it is. All that anger was a mask for the insecurity.
  "Of course you can." I assure him.
  "I've been alone for too long."
  "You were never alone."

  At this, he gives me a shaky smile and reaches into his pocket. He pulls out a single, white feather and extends his hand towards me.
  "So this was yours?" He asks.
  "It's yours now. Keep it, and remember that I'm here."
  With that I left his sight, but never his side.
© Copyright 2011 M. Pathi (darius_94 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761539-Guardian