*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762195-A-Good-Reason-To-Quit
by Wordy
Rated: ASR · Other · Biographical · #1762195
Working can really drag you down.
Hey Frank, what you got for me today? Well umm some snapper and 10 lbs of live Maine,. ohh and some Dover sole, 25 pounds, I think. Good we really need it tonight I got someone important coming over for our Friday dinner special. I don't need to weigh it do I? Well you should, just in case, since this sole is $25 a pound. Ok Frank, but you know I trust you, you're like my son; god bless his soul.

Clank, oops gotta be careful of this new digital scale my wife bought, costs a bundle. Let's see... I got twenty and .9 on the Dover sole, is that right? Well the ticket says 25 did you zero out the scale Mr. Bellagio? Ya Frank, but let me do it again. I'm so used to our old reliable, been using it since ohh well since before "you" were born, but the wife says we gotta get with the times. Let me see, oh yes, same thing; twenty pounds and .9 guess that's close to 21 but you said 25?

Yes Mr. Bellagio, 25. Where do you think they got that extra 4 pounds from Frankie? Guess they made some kinda mistake Mr. Bellagio, they are kinda rushed in the morning. Hmm, well let's weigh the lobster. $12 a pound! Do they think I'm made of money? I could fly to New England and catch my own for that, laughing. Ouch. Frankie this says 8.1 what you got on that paper? 10.9 Mr. B. That's almost three pounds difference, are you sure? Yes Mr. B, 10.9. Do you think this new scale is messed up Frankie? Well,. no Mr. B, we use that same one at our place when we weigh the fish, so I'm sure it's right on. Why are these weights so different Frankie?

I'm not sposed to tell you this Mr. B, they would fire me right away if I did; but they change the weights on most all of the orders, I see em do it every morning and pretend I don't. You serious, Frankie? All this time? and I been with them since they started, back in the 50's! Those sons of bitches! I even recommended them to Vinnie and Marasito and Joey big toe. Why you tellin me this now Frankie?

Cuz I'm leaving tomorrow Mr. B and the biggest reason is that I had to put up with this shit for two years and couldn't say anything. But that ain't the only reason; I really wanna do something with my life that helps others, Mr. B; like church or something. Ya know I turn 43 in a couple of weeks. Ok Frankie, I'm sorry to see you go, you always was nice to me and my cousin Vinnie. I know you gonna do something with your life. Slap. Thank you Mr. B; let me write out this credit slip for those lobster and that dover sole.
© Copyright 2011 Wordy (philogeny at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762195-A-Good-Reason-To-Quit