*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762922-Keeping-up-appearances
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Friendship · #1762922
About people who pretend to be something they are not, and lie, to impress other people.
We all wear a mask to keep up with appearances, and to hide who we really are. To be truthful in this world is a rare fruit of labor, and everyone seems to stab each other in the back. The real us is sealed off from the rest of humanity, like a locked treasure chest in a secret cave, on a desert island. It cannot be reached by boat, since there are dangerous, crashing waves, and there are sharks on the lookout, making sure our real personalties do not come to the light. A person who uncovers their true selves are true martyrs, and must be revered by all.



When, may I ask, did people learn to be so false and empty and superficial? How meaningless is it, to live your whole life trying to please others, while not even pleasing yourself? How meaningless is it, to live your whole life making up false stories, and not living by the truth, to the point where your whole existence is a lie, and no one knows or can love you as you well and truly are?



People seem to have lied to each other from time immemorial, mainly to please each other, and people put up masks o hide their faces from the real world, just like at a masquerade ball, to hide secrets, vices, faults, and imperfections. And many people live their whole lives as a lie, to such an extent that even they do not know what the truth is anymore, and even they forget who they really are. Yes, it seems that all life is one big masquerade ball, where we create our own personas, as if we take part in the production of a big, great, melodrama, where there are intrigues, wranglings, people stabbing each other in the backs, gossip, sex, blackmail, hypocrisy, and, most important of all, lies!



Humans live their whole lives in fear, and are scared that the light of day will expose them in what they are doing, and that their true selves will be revealed. We all wish to please one another, and yet, we forget how to even please ourselves, and, in the process, hate who we see looking back at us in the mirror, and  do not even please the people we originally inteded to please, so it is like "kicking against the goads". Indeed, all lieing is like "kicking against the goads", since all lies catch up with us eventually, since, when one starts lieing, you must make another lie, to support that other lie, and then another lie, and another,  until everything we say is a web of lies, and we get entrapped in it, and get caught by Truth herself. And, in the end, because of lieing, instead of coming out to the other side of a new era in your life, with people's oppinions being very high of you, you get branded a "liar", and their oppinions of you are worse than before.



But, if a man or woman admits to their mistakes, or the crimes they have comitted, and come clean, though people may laugh and deride them at first, they come back stronger than ever, and people then eventually have higher oppinions of them than ever before. So, do not lie, or you will never see the light of day again!
© Copyright 2011 TheDreamer (starryeyed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1762922-Keeping-up-appearances