*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1763113-Lady-of-the-Pond
by J.B
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #1763113
a moment that will be kept close to the heart that is yours alone.
      The dark green leaves on the evergreen cooled the air as i stepped into a sunlit clearing. My weary legs collapsed like jelly as my eyes spotted luscious grass growing by the path. I dragged my body with my back-pack to the soft patch of earth before passing into a deep sleep that bordered on a coma.
       
        I was finally awoken by a gentle brushing across my cheek from a breeze so soft you had to pause just to make sure it was real. The sun had long settled over the horizon and had been replaced by the brightest moon I had ever laid my eyes upon, lighting up the clearing in a heavenly glow.
Sitting up and observing my surroundings I could not believe the beauty I was amidst. In the centre of the clearing there was a crystal blue pond that was edged by the most fruitful berry bushes I had ever seen. Within the pond there stood a woman, her back to me bathing in the serene waters. I could not help but stare at the beautiful figure gleaming in the moonlight, drops of water rolling down her smooth back almost looking a part of her.
Turning her head over her shoulder she saw me looking, and I almost felt ashamed of myself, but it was impossible in the presence of the woman before me. The lady did not jump in fright or scowl at my inappropriateness, she just beckoned me towards her with one finger and a majestic smile.          
      I could not believe what was happening to me. A lost straggler in the woods who happened to stumble across a place that man could only dream of, with the most beautiful company that you could imagine. Before I had a chance to think my legs had begun to move towards the water, the lady of the pond.
     
      I stopped at the edge of the water, only for the lady to move across the pond as graceful as a swan and take my hand to pull me into the cool liquid with her. She did not speak, only moved her body close to mine and I felt an overwhelming peace flood my soul, I had never felt so good, so cleansed. She pulled her arms into her chest and snuggled into my body, and I held her tight.
After what felt like hours had passed, the lady leant up and kissed my lips with the softness of a flittering butterfly, before wading out of the pond without saying a word. I followed her, wondering where she may be going, before an overwhelming tiredness washed over me and I collapsed upon the ground once more. I could not stop my body from falling into a deep sleep yet again.
     
      I woke at the rise of the sun, and sat up staring at my surroundings once more. I now looked upon an ordinary clearing, with a small body of water surrounded by some scraggly old berry bushes. I shook my head in disbelief at the dream I had last night, a dream that bordered reality. I sighed realizing I would never experience a moment so wonderful.
     
      As I stood to leave the mysterious clearing I saw the most ruby red apple I have ever seen, sitting upon a large leaf. I wandered over to pick up the delicious fruit, thinking it would be a nice breakfast, when I noticed the leaf was engraved, reading:

"Thank you for reminding me of the woman i once was"

Love Mother Nature.

         I sat down beside the leaf in disbelief staring at the words I saw in front of me, before bursting into the happiest laughter that had ever emanated from my body. I was still not sure exactly what had happened, but I knew that it really was a once in a life-time event that I would cherish forever.
         
                Still smiling I bit into the apple, slowly enjoying the last remnants of the magical evening. As each bite of the flesh was taken, a sense of direction grew within this weary wanderer, and as I took the last bite I saw an opening through the clearing that I could’ve sworn was not there but a minute ago.
         
                Looking up at the clouds I thanked the lady known as Mother Nature, but I knew this gift came from the woman inside. I stepped onto the new path knowing that I had been given the gift of finding home, and now possessed the greatest memory of any man wandering the earth. A memory that only I will ever believe.
© Copyright 2011 J.B (jayb.21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1763113-Lady-of-the-Pond